I was having a conversation with someone today that said he has an old 1973 mack he wants to sell. He said it was painted gold at the factory and they made very few of them as advertising pieces and to do shows with. Its a 73 R model he said they only made somewhere around 200-250 of them problem is the frame has been cut off at the drives. He has only the front of the truck from the bumper to where the drive axles were. Question is did they really make such a truck and what are they worth.

Thats the one they were using to power the rock crusher where 57BCR works. Randy Griebl ended up with it,I tried to buy it off him. I have whats left of one,they were sent to the dealers as demonstrators for the new 300 series ENDT676 Maxidyne ine 1973,the had R and F models,not sure on a realistic build figure.

010.JPG

gold 300 brochure 2.jpg

gold 300 brochure 3.jpg

gold 300 brochure 4.jpg

gold 300 brochure.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, j hancock said:

Legit deal for 1973.  Here is some previous conversation including some pics from the Bulldog magazine of the gold painted rigs.

https://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/30184-all-eyes-are-on-the-new-maxidyne/?page=2

The thing is, it feels as though that event was just yesterday. The entire company, including the factory branches and dealers, was excited because we knew that we about to redefine the industry. The original cool power 300s would run circles around today's 400s. That whistle meant massive torque at your disposal.

• Like 2

Was the "cool power" a slogan for the air to air charge cooling or did it also refer to the air/water charge cooling? 

I have seen most tip turbine refereed to 285HP but there were versions of the charge cooler that had the water cooling added to it.

My truck has a 285 air only but I have a spare charge air box that has the water set up.  I was thinking of installing it but I dont think it would gain me more HP without other changes to the engine?

On 6/15/2017 at 9:47 AM, kscarbel2 said:

The thing is, it feels as though that event was just yesterday. The entire company, including the factory branches and dealers, was excited because we knew that we about to redefine the industry. The original cool power 300s would run circles around today's 400s. That whistle meant massive torque at your disposal.

Thats what I just don't understand. This horsepower/torque thing; mechanical vs. electric. The torque/horsepower figures are exaggerated.????

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.

I think the HP /TQ figures are the same between a Mechanical and Electronic 300 but how each version of the engine delivered the power feels different.

A mechanical could not control the fuel delivery as well as a Electronic. so when we mashed the pedal on a mechanical the engine came to life and you can feel the torque. When we do it with a electronic the Computer tells the engine how much fuel to give at "X" RPM and it eases it into the powerband... I like how the mechanical felt better for this reason,

• Like 2

9 hours ago, storkmack said:

When I first got my CDL I ran with the truck Ranchhopper is talking about.  It kept up, or didn't pull away from my 84' ex-Plote R model  300,6  sp, 4.17 rears. 

Was this truck an ex F Smith cartage truck their paint scheme is the same to this day.

9 hours ago, david wild said:

Isn't it funny that this country was built with those little engines and others that were even smaller, yet somehow today the average nitwit needs a 550 cat in a 10 wheeler to get around town ??????

That's because they are in a big hurry to get to the next stop light. Brakes shoes and drums must be cheap the way they drive today.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ranchhopper said:

Was this truck an ex F Smith cartage truck their paint scheme is the same to this day.

W. Smith Cartage , Kevin, is the company  you're  thinking of. F. Smith/H&H Cartage. Gone,but not forgotten. I believe  that former Geske  truck originally  was bought by Wally Glaze. I  remember  both W. Smith & Glaze running  those 300 Series R models, when  they first  came  out. Smith's 300 is long gone but had 2 or 3 cabs replaced,before  they  got  rid  of  it.  Al  

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

On 6/16/2017 at 6:51 PM, terry said:

Does anybody know what seriel no. range these were in, I might know of a local one here in my area. Is there any other way to identify one?  terry:D

Wonder if I get the seriel no. from this truck, would the info. from the mack museum tell if it was one of these trucks?    terry:D