Titan to be Discontinued

The VNX is out selling the Titan 10 fold up here.  Pricing, no sleeper options, it's heavier tare weight then 16L equipped VN's made it difficult to sell a Titan on a market that has other manufacturers with options coming out of their Ying yang for your next heavy truck.  I'm actually surprised it took this long with the way they held back thend Titan meanwhile the Australian version had options guys in North America wanted. 

I see more and more VN models that haul 100k lbs gross loads being powered by D16 lately.  It's actually fairly common. The engine is doing as well as the 13L engine just uses a bit more fuel. A VNX with 16L power is much cheaper then a Titan with more options.   The Mack die hard guys like us were buying Titans.  The guys that don't care about brand lineage but care more about bottom line and options for their drivers went to Volvo or somewhere else. 

There are just more of them then us.

The market has spoken to the options that were given on the Mack product line.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dirtymilkman said:

Talked to a Mack rep today. Titan is done. But he said there are announcements to be made in the next couple weeks. I don't believe Volvo is deliberately trying to kill Mack, I think they are just that ignorant and arrogant. 

What kind of announcements????? Maybe a new superliner available with mp 10 and heavy front axles and suspensions and all sleeper options ??? Hahaaha

• Like 2

I'm more of an antique guy, and don't drive or fix modern rigs, but I have certainly always appreciated that the Titan is a great looking heavy duty truck, sort of along the lines of what the Superliner was back in its day.  Too bad to hear that it will be discontinued.  If I WERE in the market for that type of truck, I'd certainly be hoping that Mack would offer enough affordable spec options to make it attractive to a wider audience, but it sounds like they sort of limited themselves on what was available.

Too bad for the heavy duty truck market.....

WE have pulled  almost 500 hp out of the little Mack  E7 12 litre for years  don't see why ya cant get 600 from a 13 litre! Other than the fact its a Volvo engine Not a Mack! The sales on the  Titan were quite low  However they need to offer the 16 litre in one of the other models to keep up. it needs to be an option There Are places here in BC were HP demand is high !  My opinion!

They are  systematically  shrinking  MACK  market share,  Obvious where this is going! The Vocational sector should  have been left to the MACK branded units!

Not that these Volvo people listen to anyone!

Edited by fjh

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

The D16 is available in Volvo's 780 conventional truck, what about the MP10 for the CH/ Granite? A heavy spec Granite could replace the Titan.

I've had granites and I have a Titan. There is no way to compare a Titan to a granite. The early granites were just a ch cab on a R model frame. The later granites are nowhere as rigid as the Titan. Load them both at 90,000 pounds and you'll see why they don't compare. As for the mp10, I love the motor, great engine braking, great mileage and no issues. But I still have a etech with stage 2 injectors that will out perform it up hills. Flat ground the mp10 runs away. 

• Like 2

Maybe I need to build a Volvo race truck next , and believe me the 11 and 13 liter are tough engines . I have personally beat my 11 liter race engine into the ground at 960 hp almost 3000ft torque and it continues to live 👍🏁🏁 But have seriously thought of building a Volvo , what you guys think ?IMG_0162.PNG

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kt_Engineer said:

Give a year or two, you will understand why D16/MP10 does NOT make sense. When you can generate 600HP & 2100 Lb-ft of torque with 13L - Turbo compound engine and save on weight as well as cost will you want to spend extra money on Titan? How about a pinnacle (CXU/CHU) with same power as Titan at a lot less cost?

Don't have to wait, 600+ HP from 13 liters is already available, they're called "short term marine ratings". But for a 50 ton or heavier rig that runs the engine at full power load and near that all day, a 13 liter won't last. That's why if you go to Daimler, Paccar, or International and try to spec a truck for 50+ ton loads with a 13 liter engine, they'll recommend a 15 or 16 liter engine instead. Then there are the loads for which even 600 HP is marginal, like the South Dakota 17 axle double "trains" that can gross 75 to 80 tons...

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Dirtymilkman said:

I've had granites and I have a Titan. There is no way to compare a Titan to a granite. The early granites were just a ch cab on a R model frame. The later granites are nowhere as rigid as the Titan. Load them both at 90,000 pounds and you'll see why they don't compare. As for the mp10, I love the motor, great engine braking, great mileage and no issues. But I still have a etech with stage 2 injectors that will out perform it up hills. Flat ground the mp10 runs away. 

Yeah we're not going backward into a granite if they don't offer something bigger and better than a granite. see ya later mack

1 hour ago, TeamsterGrrrl said:

Don't have to wait, 600+ HP from 13 liters is already available, they're called "short term marine ratings". But for a 50 ton or heavier rig that runs the engine at full power load and near that all day, a 13 liter won't last. That's why if you go to Daimler, Paccar, or International and try to spec a truck for 50+ ton loads with a 13 liter engine, they'll recommend a 15 or 16 liter engine instead. Then there are the loads for which even 600 HP is marginal, like the South Dakota 17 axle double "trains" that can gross 75 to 80 tons...

With Variable Gated Turbos, it has been a problem running at higher HP and Yes, The 16 L's can withstand higher loads relatively easily but with Turbo-compounding the thrust bearing, connecting rods etc will be beefed up and should have about the same L10 life (in theory and to be proved through testing). TC 13L Engine with a DD transmission is also believed to offer ~5% improvement in Fuel Economy when compared to a similar 13L Engine. Were the pistons going bad with 13L when running at Higher HP and Higher GCW? I heard of problems with MP8's (505HP) in Mexico pulling 143,000 lbs.

Edited by kt_Engineer

They would have to make a lot of changes to the granite for the 16L implant.

Not enough room under the hood.

I also agree with the above comments. Titan was rushed into production and to this day has a lot of stupid design flaws such as the height of the cab and hood for no good reason. If a VN can cool a D16 with a sloped hood and cab close to the frame......

• Like 1

Can someone answer as to why every other truck maker offers the full size 120 or longer BBC and offers 15 or 16 liter engines and sleepers but mack can't make one model like that . I mean really ? How hard it is it to make a extended hood chu offer mp10 or even  a cummins and front axle ratings up to 20k and big rears ??????? How the he'll hard is it to that ???

• Like 1

3 hours ago, staxx said:

Maybe I need to build a Volvo race truck next , and believe me the 11 and 13 liter are tough engines . I have personally beat my 11 liter race engine into the ground at 960 hp almost 3000ft torque and it continues to live 👍🏁🏁 But have seriously thought of building a Volvo , what you guys think ?IMG_0162.PNG

my name won't be there

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

3 hours ago, logtruckman said:

Can someone answer as to why every other truck maker offers the full size 120 or longer BBC and offers 15 or 16 liter engines and sleepers but mack can't make one model like that . I mean really ? How hard it is it to make a extended hood chu offer mp10 or even  a cummins and front axle ratings up to 20k and big rears ??????? How the he'll hard is it to that ???

All you would have to do is extend the hood.  Set back or set forward.  The chassis being shared by the VN, is ready to take all power plants.   It is that simple. 

5 hours ago, bbigrig said:

They would have to make a lot of changes to the granite for the 16L implant.

Not enough room under the hood.

I also agree with the above comments. Titan was rushed into production and to this day has a lot of stupid design flaws such as the height of the cab and hood for no good reason. If a VN can cool a D16 with a sloped hood and cab close to the frame......

Drive a Titan......You'll change your opinion on the cab being to high. I also believe it's the same cab height as the Aussie trucks.  I had a hi/lo splitter valve on the Titan blow apart the other day. We crawled between the cab and frame to change it. Took a whole 15 minutes. 

• Like 2