Gus #9 1946 The Road to Life Once Again

TDBach

Here is an update on the restoration process.. we have to have Gus ready for Waubun days parade.. June29th through July 4th.. Robert got the engine fitted and I'm working on the body.. fuel tank looks good.. one less item to buy! 

IMG_0796.JPG

IMG_0800.JPG

IMG_0811.JPG

IMG_0814.JPG

• Like 2

On 1/20/2017 at 2:37 PM, Vladislav said:

What a reat story of the truck and your family you posted!

Honestly I read it some wheeks back but still missed a chance to comment in the thread.

A whole plenty of facts starting from that you're not a boy and the reason the project is executing for are highly impressive and take my hat off.

Now I see the signs of the progress and it's a pleasure to.

Unfortunately I have neither spares for E-model to help you, nor I'm far away to.

But I wish best of luck to get the job done fast enough to be in the time frame and do it smooth and easy.

Will follow your thread and keep it in mind. Hope to see more job done soon and you doing fine.

Vlad

Thank you!  I hope to have it done by June! Lots of hard work ahead! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, 

We are moving right along!  Door glass will be here soon, front and rear windows are done, Gus is etched and primed, the motor runs...gauges ordered, lights ordered, and we will be heading to paint late this week!  Now, to keep grandma at home!   The video we made is also done...and Robert and I are working from sun up to sun down on the weekends to get Gus finished!  

Things left to do:  Paint,  sew the seats, finish prepping the fenders, hood, and grill, and finish installing interior items.   

Goal: To be completed by June 1st!  So we have three weeks of test runs!  

I am stressing as we are running right down to the wire... 

I CAN'T WAIT!   Broke, and need a drink after this project!  Ha! 

Ms. Tracy D.  

• 2 weeks later...

Yep!  Gus has been painted!  It turned out great!  We have 25 small items left,  her engine has been painted, and will be reinstalled this weekend, all door class is now installed, interior gauges etc. on the way!   I am so happy that things are moving forward, and we will be meeting our June 1st deadline!  

Ms. Tracy D. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TDBach said:

Yep!  Gus has been painted!  It turned out great!  We have 25 small items left,  her engine has been painted, and will be reinstalled this weekend, all door class is now installed, interior gauges etc. on the way!   I am so happy that things are moving forward, and we will be meeting our June 1st deadline!  

Ms. Tracy D. 

The truck is looking great!!

My wife likes the pink tool box.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

1. Have you obtained the factory file from the Mack Museum? As well as you have documented the history of this truck, you NEED to have copies of the factory file. If you private message me the serial number, I can try to get you the file sometime in the not-too-distant future. (I volunteer at the Mack Museum.) There will more than likely be a 6-8 week wait for the file unless I get one of the archivists to teach me how to find, pull and reproduce files (which I have asked to be taught how to do.) The only thing we ask is for a donation to the museum as we absorb the cost of the reproduction of materials (paper, photocopier maintenance, etc...) and we also send copies of pertinent parts and engine/transmission manuals as well as your serial number specific factory file. 

2. I am sure this has been considered but I would feel guilty not mentioning it- has anyone taken the increased lower-end torque of the replacement diesel engine and any potential effect on the rear axle? Sure would hate to see you spin that thing apart or twist the driveshaft.

3. You are a good ways away but you may enjoy bringing the truck (or even just coming by car) to the Mack Trucks Museum "Trucktoberfest 2017" held on October 21 at the Museum in Allentown, Pa. 

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Hi 1958 FWD!  My mechanic is a master diesel tech for Cummins N Power...who I am thankful for, and I will definitely ask him about the rear end.  The little 4b diesel has only 305ft pounds of torque which is just a little more than the old EN330.  Transmission is the same with a new plate.  Old Gus won't be pulling anything for a while or until I get the EN330 rebuilt and we are setting the speed at 45 mph max..That was definitely a concern of ours but I'm definitely going to double check so I appreciate the advice!

We have a full story board of this truck from the day it was purchased, so I would LOVE to have the factory file and will send you the information today! Thank you, this is great!!!

I would also love to bring the truck out to Trucktoberfest!  I would like to drive the truck cross country but it might take me a year to get there! We have a big gooseneck that could haul it!  I will definitely put this on my calendar! My grandmother would love to go as well! 

You will hear from me soon and thank you for the advice! 

Ms Tracy D