Gus #9 1946 The Road to Life Once Again

TDBach

I will post some photos of old Gus tonight!  I showed my grandma pictures of Gus in restoration and she breaks down.. she's so excited!  I will also post pics of her when we get her running for the parade this summer!!! I'd give up everything to see her ride in this old truck!  Thank you everyone!  Thanks to the guys and gals who have offered help with parts!!

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 7:07 PM, HarryS said:

Great story and picture. The trucks look brand new or super well kept.

Grandma said this was the first week that he had them.  He mandated that each truck was washed and shined after each shift, so that is probably the reason Gus #9 is in better shape than many working trucks of that era.  I will be posting more pictures of the fleet as grandma shares them!

Thanks everyone!

Tracy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is the updated photo of Gus as of 1-13-2017...I'm welding some cracks in the firewall and saving the 800.00 to have the radiator re-cored.. just ordered rubber isolator for Diesel engine modification... working as fast as we can,  but the lack of available parts is concerning... if anyone knows where I can get doors.. please let me know!   These are the parts I am hunting for:  

radiator, doors with glass, (no one will reskin the doors here) so I used fiberglass to get the ball rolling.. after cooler for 4bt ... any cheap ideas for gauges?  It will cost over 1500.00 to have the originals restored.. weather stripping for doors.. windshield wipers..arms and wiper motor.. tail lights.. 

i know restorations are not cheap... so I'm working three jobs to make it happen!  

Thanks everyone!  I'll take some better pictures in the morning.  I checked on the 47 for sale in Bemidji, he wanted way more than I can afford.. and it was an EF model..mines an EGX  but the sheet metal was in great shape

and the hunt goes on!  Thanks everyone

sincerely, 

Tracy

IMG_0283.JPG

IMG_0282.JPG

• Like 2

You have a mig welder you can make patches for the lower door sections. Fairly cheap and easy to make up. As for the glass, it is all flat pieces, If you have the regulators , roll them up and use heavy cardboard to make a templet of the glass  to fit in the channels. Both door glass is the same.  A good glass shop can cut them for a tenth of what it would cost for used glass. 

Try  Speedway Motors or Honest Charlies  for weather striping, universal wiper parts and generic gauges or even possibly Chevs of the 40's for the large multi gauge units.  Paul

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/

https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/

https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Thank you for the tips!    I am excited as the progress is beginning to move forward! 

On Friday the engine mounts will be here, and we will be welding the new engine brackets together this weekend.  Then the 4cyl diesel engine and transmission are going in.  The next step will be to order the driveshaft, as the original is too long!   Brake booster will be sent off next week, as I think I have enough pennies for that project.  Then the radiator issue...I have to try and fit a charge air cooler in front of the radiator...more modifications...while trying to preserve the original foundation for the old motor which will go back in some day!  

Most women get excited over jewelry,  I get excited to see truck parts sitting at my front door after work!  

So this truck is my first major welding project, and so far I have been doing good, nothing breaking apart, and nothing caught on fire!  YET....

I have been looking for youtube videos on how to reskin doors, ..however, I think I am going to attempt patches first,  thanks Paul!   

The funny part is that my grandma keeps asking how her Mack is....and we keep telling her... "it's slow"  Waubun parade is the July 4th weekend, and she will be ready to rock and roll by then....I hope!   

Tonight, I finish welding the cracks in the firewall, and the cab corners...prime and prep the firewall and the front part of the Chassis, and finish the paint...I will post before and after pictures. 

I've never worked so hard to stay so broke!  

Thanks! 

Ms. Tracy D.  

Edited by TDBach
spelling
  • Like 2

Are you replacing the drive shaft or are you going to have it cut and re-balanced?

The patches are easier. Pick up an inexpensive flanging tool form Eastwoods and you can use the lower   patch sections from a 40's to early 50's Ford or Chevy pick up. they are flat like the Mack and you can always shorten one end to fit you door. You only need to do the lower 6 or 8 inches. Biggest thing to learn is to do spaced tack welds so you do not warp the panels. Piece of cake.:)   Paul

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-panel-flanger.html

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Hi Paul,

I think I'm going to order a new drive shaft for this diesel setup and keep the old drive shaft for when I put the old EN330 motor and transmission back in it.  

Thank you for the tips!  This is a huge learning process!  Everyone on here has been great!  I am posting before and after pics of the front chassis tonight.  Paint and prep started! 

Ms Tracy D 

IMG_0773.JPG

IMG_0774.JPG

• Like 2

We have posted Part I of the video we plan to share with grandma the day we surprise her!     Here is the link, please let us know what you think.  (The last part of the video is a little blurry, so we are going to re-record that section).  

Thanks, everyone! 

Ms. Tracy D. 

Youtube link: https://youtu.be/vJDK9Uqm49s

• Like 2