TDBach

Gus #9 1946 The Road to Life Once Again

53 posts in this topic

Very touching story, wish I still had some of my old iron around. I live about 300 miles from Bismarck, will keep an eye out for any E model parts.

1 person likes this

Yes, awesome story! I'm  not too far out of your area and I will also keep my eyes open for parts.

1 person likes this

Very, very nice story.   terry

1 person likes this

What an inspiring story!  You did such a great job relating the role this truck has played in your family's  history.   Best of luck on your journey with Gus #9 and please keep us informed of your progress. 

1 person likes this

Great story and picture. The trucks look brand new or super well kept.

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 7:07 PM, HarryS said:

Great story and picture. The trucks look brand new or super well kept.

Grandma said this was the first week that he had them.  He mandated that each truck was washed and shined after each shift, so that is probably the reason Gus #9 is in better shape than many working trucks of that era.  I will be posting more pictures of the fleet as grandma shares them!

Thanks everyone!

Tracy

We would like to see a recent photo of it when you have a second.

1 person likes this

Hey Tracy, there is a '47 Mack on Craigslist in Bemidgi Mn. I'm not sure how to post the link but it might have some parts you need.

1 person likes this

Wow! Fantastic story. Thank you for sharing. 

Roland

1 person likes this

This is the updated photo of Gus as of 1-13-2017...I'm welding some cracks in the firewall and saving the 800.00 to have the radiator re-cored.. just ordered rubber isolator for Diesel engine modification... working as fast as we can,  but the lack of available parts is concerning... if anyone knows where I can get doors.. please let me know!   These are the parts I am hunting for:  

radiator, doors with glass, (no one will reskin the doors here) so I used fiberglass to get the ball rolling.. after cooler for 4bt ... any cheap ideas for gauges?  It will cost over 1500.00 to have the originals restored.. weather stripping for doors.. windshield wipers..arms and wiper motor.. tail lights.. 

i know restorations are not cheap... so I'm working three jobs to make it happen!  

Thanks everyone!  I'll take some better pictures in the morning.  I checked on the 47 for sale in Bemidji, he wanted way more than I can afford.. and it was an EF model..mines an EGX  but the sheet metal was in great shape

and the hunt goes on!  Thanks everyone

sincerely, 

Tracy

IMG_0283.JPG

IMG_0282.JPG

1 person likes this

Hi Paul,

I think I'm going to order a new drive shaft for this diesel setup and keep the old drive shaft for when I put the old EN330 motor and transmission back in it.  

Thank you for the tips!  This is a huge learning process!  Everyone on here has been great!  I am posting before and after pics of the front chassis tonight.  Paint and prep started! 

Ms Tracy D 

IMG_0773.JPG

IMG_0774.JPG

1 person likes this