Mack MB, White Compact, Diamond REO Cabovers

The White Compact was the replacement for the White 3000. It was a White cab, but I do not know if they built it in house or has an outside source build it. I do not remember remember REO or Diamond T using it?? Diamond T came out with the "Trend" cab in the middle 60's, but it is entirely different per the attached photo.  Winchester 2011 018.jpg

Brocky

13 hours ago, 70mackMB said:

glitchwrks,  Take a look at this older topic. lt may have the answers you are looking for. Hippy  

The N cab was send to MACK by BUDD as raw stampings. MACK added their changes, up grades and floor and did their own assembly the cab in house. Ford purchased the BUDD cabs as a pre build assembly.

As far as my info shows the MB was the same deal, assembled by MACK

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

20 hours ago, j hancock said:

Don't know about sharing but the Mack MB cab was done by Orrville Metal.

7 hours ago, 41chevy said:

As far as my info shows the MB was the same deal, assembled by MACK

Thanks to j hancock and 41 chevy Rick and l are learning more about our little MB all the time. Thanks guys! Hippy

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brocky said:
The White Compact was the replacement for the White 3000. It was a White cab, but I do not know if they built it in house or has an outside source build it. I do not remember remember REO or Diamond T using it?? Diamond T came out with the "Trend" cab in the middle 60's, but it is entirely different per the attached photo.

I have seen the Trend cab badged as a White, also.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BillyT said:

Makes a cool one of a kind camper,I remember those cabs, don't think many were built.

The Diamond Reo Camper was not a popular factory option.  Each dealer was forced to take one or two and they had great difficulty selling them.  The idea from Diamond Reo was to use the camper on weekends, then switch the camper off and put a flatbed  or 5th wheel back on the  truck for use during the week.   The problem was they were expensive, and the bodies were not easy to change over --it needed careful alignment, patience and help.

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Makes a cool one of a kind camper,I remember those cabs, don't think many were built.So that's an actual factory camper? Amazing I figured someone put the camper body on a truck chassis they restored! Thanks 41, for the response! I can actually visualize a camper  with those outriggers like on a pickup camper, fitted with a kingpin toward the back that you could back a road tractor under with two tie downs to the tractor frame in the front!

Yup, you had to get one from a Diamond Reo dealer.   Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

I took that picture of the Trend at Winchester in 2011 and at that time it was owned by Howard Fugatte. Dave/Maint1 may chime in that Keystone has now bought it. Paul/41Chevy is correct on the body swapping idea and no there were not that many made..

During the 60's and 70's White Motor did a lot of sheet metal and badge swapping utilizing the same cabs for all the "Makes" of trucks they produced. There are many identical trucks out there with different White Motor names on them.

Brocky

Thanks for all the replies, interesting history! That Diamond REO I posted pictures of is for sale near Reading PA, I thought since the cab looked a lot like a MB cab they might share some or many components. Kind of interested in picking it up but I have no way to get it home, and as you can guess from the pictures it's not driveable on the road.

4 minutes ago, glitchwrks said:

Thanks for all the replies, interesting history! That Diamond REO I posted pictures of is for sale near Reading PA, I thought since the cab looked a lot like a MB cab they might share some or many components. Kind of interested in picking it up but I have no way to get it home, and as you can guess from the pictures it's not driveable on the road.

4 minutes ago, glitchwrks said:

where`s home?

10 hours ago, TeamsterGrrrl said:

That's the Diamond Reo version of the White Compact cab, looks like it might be the wider "Expeditor" version that White made to accommodate the big block diesels.

10-4 on the big blocks! The Expeditor was the "6000". We were running a distribution network that used "Stricktainers"-which were two 20' containers that you would join into a 40 foot trailer thanks to a system that employed sliding axles and heavy cast locking devices that joined the two units together.  Well Strick stopped making them and we were screwed.  So we bought 20' doubles trailers that were built by Theuer of NJ.  Problem was we had to meet 55' as this was way before the 65' law.  To pull them we needed big power so we split the order between Maxidyne powered MB's and the Expeditors that had 855 Cummins power-don't remember the hp but I think they were NH-250's.  Needless to say the doghouse in an Expeditor was a tad bigger than in a Compact!

6 hours ago, carlotpilot said:

i`m just south of harrisonburg  there( might) be a possibility that i could grab that rig for you at some time . don`t know when at the moment. what is flat top near?

Somebody has a new trailer they want to "play" with.  

According to the literature that was near the Diamond Reo camper at the Winchester show the real sales pitch was to farmers and others who needed a medium duty truck for regular work, but still wanted to have a recreational vehicle. It was a predecessor to the quick change type bodies you see on so many local delivery trucks that leave one body at the warehouse to be filled while they use the other to make deliveries.

I thought it was a brilliant marketing strategy since the chances are that the owner would wear out the chassis long before the RV and thus need to buy from Diamond Reo again to ensure compatibility.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

5 hours ago, Hobert62 said:

Somebody has a new trailer they want to "play" with.  

Nothing wrong with that -- if/when we've got either a big truck + trailer or a large rollback, I'm sure we'll be moving old equipment for people! That way you get to check it out but don't have to find a place for it to live, right?

• Like 1