Picture through the Windshield

j hancock

what was the main reason to cover them? .....I would assume it was to protect the deck, and perhaps provide a resting point during poor weather.

the only covered bridges we have out here  are called tunnels and only cross ground water not streams:D  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gearhead204 said:

what was the main reason to cover them? .....I would assume it was to protect the deck, and perhaps provide a resting point during poor weather.

the only covered bridges we have out here  are called tunnels and only cross ground water not streams:D  

Just sounds better to call them covered bridges instead of uncovered bridges  :D I know this to be a fact that thieves would hide in the rafters and jump down on people to rob them.:blink:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, j hancock said:

In my corner of the world, there are six active covered bridges within 7 miles of my house.  A nice little bit of history to see.

Wow-What town you in Jim??  Worth a trip.  On the subject of leaf peepers I always said -Columbus Day weekend in New England was one of our biggest weekends for hauling a lot of gas!

On Saturday, September 10, 2016, the Salisbury Station Bridge, a wooden covered bridge connecting Cornwall and Salisbury, VT was destroyed in a fire. It was 154' long and was built in 1865.

The fire was discovered at about 2:50 P.M. and by the time Cornwall and Salisbury firefighters arrived the bridge was destroyed. As of now the fire is under investigation by fire investigators

from the Vermont State Police. 

Wooden bridges had roofs to protect the wooden decks and frames from the weather. 

bulldogboy

11 hours ago, bulldogboy said:

On Saturday, September 10, 2016, the Salisbury Station Bridge, a wooden covered bridge connecting Cornwall and Salisbury, VT was destroyed in a fire. It was 154' long and was built in 1865.

The fire was discovered at about 2:50 P.M. and by the time Cornwall and Salisbury firefighters arrived the bridge was destroyed. As of now the fire is under investigation by fire investigators

from the Vermont State Police. 

Wooden bridges had roofs to protect the wooden decks and frames from the weather. 

bulldogboy

I would also think shedding snow load had to be a big factor as well.  Think of one of those spans without a roof and about 12" of wet snow on the deck.  Plus I would imagine the wood framing and roof decking added to the structural strength???  A balancing act-the weight of the timber that went into the roof vs what it added to the strength of the span itself.

As for B'dogboys post on that fire a couple of weeks ago that is an unbelievable loss.  First thought is some jackass threw a cigarette out the window and it landed just right and had draft.  

11 hours ago, Red Horse said:

Wow-What town you in Jim??  Worth a trip.  On the subject of leaf peepers I always said -Columbus Day weekend in New England was one of our biggest weekends for hauling a lot of gas!

Hey RH,  It would make a nice tour.  Here is a link with pictures and directions for the covered bridges.  The County Bridge isn't within my 7 mile radius but it is just a little north of Peterborough.  Currently, the Thompson Bridge is closed because Main St is under construction for water, sewer, drainage, curbing, etc.  I would say it should be open again in about 2 weeks (maybe?)  It is such you can walk up to it even with the construction.

http://www.southwestnh.com/outdoors/bridges.html

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

2 hours ago, j hancock said:

Hey RH,  It would make a nice tour.  Here is a link with pictures and directions for the covered bridges.  The County Bridge isn't within my 7 mile radius but it is just a little north of Peterborough.  Currently, the Thompson Bridge is closed because Main St is under construction for water, sewer, drainage, curbing, etc.  I would say it should be open again in about 2 weeks (maybe?)  It is such you can walk up to it even with the construction.

http://www.southwestnh.com/outdoors/bridges.html

Thx Jim-excellent site.  Amazing when you look at those spans and year they were built.  How?  Falsework as they went along?  Must be some info on the web as to just how that was done.  If you drive across the Tappan Zee bridge today and see the huge array of cranes its impressive.  Doing something in early 1800's had to be equally impressive given what they had to work with.

Man, I loved truckin' in New England in the fall! So beautiful! My buddy from Warren oh was running from the DOT in his single axle "road commode" on a two lane in Ohio he went around a blind turn and took off down a dirt road he had never been on and ended up at a covered bridge! The average covered bridge has about a 3 ton limit on average I think! If that,plus a White Cabover is pretty high (by covered bridge standards)! He made it thru and found a place to turn around a nd went back across it! The DOT went on by (It was night and he turned off his lights) He got away that time! Got a trivia question for you folks on the subject of bridges. What is the longest steel "arch bridge" in America (before 2004)And what is it made of? Most of you you OTR guys have been over it Otherdog for sure!

7 hours ago, BillyT said:

Man, I loved truckin' in New England in the fall! So beautiful! My buddy from Warren oh was running from the DOT in his single axle "road commode" on a two lane in Ohio he went around a blind turn and took off down a dirt road he had never been on and ended up at a covered bridge! The average covered bridge has about a 3 ton limit on average I think! If that,plus a White Cabover is pretty high (by covered bridge standards)! He made it thru and found a place to turn around a nd went back across it! The DOT went on by (It was night and he turned off his lights) He got away that time! Got a trivia question for you folks on the subject of bridges. What is the longest steel "arch bridge" in America (before 2004)And what is it made of? Most of you you OTR guys have been over it Otherdog for sure!

KmpUuayc8auKrvJndak2b7r2.jpeg

• Like 2

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.