Buffalo Springfield

bulldogboy

On March 17, 2016 at 4:49 PM, tjc transport said:

a lot of states still require a triple drum roller on the job.

Does anybody still make them? This thread is the first 3 roller I've ever seen.

50 minutes ago, Joe Ditchkus said:

Pa.Turnpike will not allow vibratory rollers on their jobs.

Why not?

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

3 minutes ago, HeavyGunner said:

Does anybody still make them? This thread is the first 3 roller I've ever seen.

Why not?

my guess would be that there are still mlies and miles of poured concrete under the asphalt overlay vibratory rollers tend to shatter concrete

6 hours ago, carlotpilot said:

my guess would be that there are still mlies and miles of poured concrete under the asphalt overlay vibratory rollers tend to shatter concrete

that is the exact reason. a vibratory roller will destroy the old soft concrete underlay roadway. a triple drum roller "pinches" the seams.

some states even go so far as to require smooth tire rollers that have 15-20 tires on each end instead of large steel drums.

the tires are liquid filled, and then there is a large box on the frame where you put weights to make the machine heavier.

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

• 1 month later...

I spend two days in 1989 running a Buffalo Springfield 3 drum roller making a new parking lot.  It had a lever to steer with and responded very slowly.    By he time I caught on the job was done.  I don't think they ever used it again.  

• 2 weeks later...

1931 version at the Long Island antique Power equipment show.

1931 Buffalo Springfield.JPG

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 3/17/2016 at 2:54 PM, DailyDiesel said:

I saw this one at the St. Lawrence Power & Equipment Museum.

14777528199_2d39a2af5e_b.jpg

I remember the local PennDOT shed still having one very similar to this about 10+ years ago, probably around 2003 or 2004. Seem to remember them having an auction to get rid of some old equipment and it was one of the things that disappeared, and was replaced by a vibratory roller. It might've been a Galion roller, I was pretty young at the time and never really got a close look at it, but I do remember seeing it a lot up until they had an auction and then never seen it again.

Edited by sbrant

How old are they? 

Here I still can see three-drum static load rollers. Not a common thing though, just from time to time.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

On 6/5/2016 at 3:39 PM, Phase 1 said:

When I was younger they were commonly still called steamrollers. I think you would even hear that today from some people.

ya know what you mean,,,used to hear that quite a bit,as well as steam shovel,,even as a kid ive never seen anything like those,,,,i thought it was just a band.lol.bob

i know where there are two steam rollers, and at least 5 steam shovels.

one of the sand pits 20 miles south of me was owned by a dinosaur that never got rid of anything. in a line up near the shop is every machine he ever bought starting from when he opened the pit in 1904.

3 miles away is the asphalt plant he built in 1924, and it is still in operation being run by his great grandson.

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

On 6/11/2016 at 7:07 PM, tjc transport said:

i know where there are two steam rollers, and at least 5 steam shovels.

one of the sand pits 20 miles south of me was owned by a dinosaur that never got rid of anything. in a line up near the shop is every machine he ever bought starting from when he opened the pit in 1904.

3 miles away is the asphalt plant he built in 1924, and it is still in operation being run by his great grandson.

Here are a pair from the last Long Island Antique Power Equipment show. The first one is a Buffalo Springfield

DSCF0168.jpg

DSCF0167.jpg

DSCF0163.jpg

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Totally FASCINATING! I can now see why my dad decided to work on Steam Locomotives with L&N RailRoad as a Fireman. He used to take me to Centennial Park and show me all about how to run one of the big steam locomotives. We have here in Nashville a  4-8-4 that has sat since they built a spur in 1952. I always thought it needed to be under the shed at Union Station. But none of the politicians here has figured it out or don't care. 

• Like 1