Ford finally puts its 3.0 V-6 diesel in the F-150

kscarbel2

I would treat any of these new diesel pickups just like BMW's, I would not own one unless it was covered under the factory warranty!

I agree with you. With the added up charge of the diesel option, the increased price of diesel fuel, and the increased maintenance costs of a diesel engine, I don't think these new diesel engines are as good a choice as people make them out to be.

• Like 1

I agree with you. With the added up charge of the diesel option, the increased price of diesel fuel, and the increased maintenance costs of a diesel engine, I don't think these new diesel engines are as good a choice as people make them out to be.

Most of the people that buy a one ton diesel Cummins or powerstroke don't even need that much truck. It's nice to have a half ton option, and the price of diesel and gas is close enough now to make it worth while you save money on the increased fuel economy.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

There's an oil outfit here that bought a bunch of the dodge half ton diesels and so far love them. They claim they are getting around 20mpg in the oil patch and high twenties on the highway. But like it was said earlier new pickups are EXPENSIVE and even more so with a diesel. I just picked up a very clean 96 Ford F-350 4 door long bed with a 460 in it for $3500.00 and the money I save compared to buying a new one buys a helluva lot of gas.

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

Buddy of mine still has his 84 or 85 Ranger with a 4 cyl oil burner.....IIRC it's a Brazilian tractor engine. Not many were made. He has it hermetically sealed in a gigantic zip-lock baggie and it only has maybe 30,000 original miles.

I had an 84' Ford Ranger diesel when I was in high school and I wish I never sold it! I bought a Ram 1500 ecodiesel back in February and have 16000 miles on it, and so far it's great. I drive 15 miles to work and the truck gets 25 MPG's compared to me 06' Cummins that got 15 MPG's on the same run. A friend of mine bought a hemi at the same time and can't get out of the mid teens on mileage. My truck is fairly plain and I got out the door for $34K, a similar Hemi would have been $32K. So far I'm really impressed with the mileage it gets and the over all quality of the truck.

• Like 1

My mom bought a new Grand Cherokee Summit awhile back. It has the same diesel engine as the half ton dodge. The thing gets about 26mpg on average. Has a ton of power, and moves out real well. The rest of the vehicle is garbage! This is plagued with electrical problems, build quality problems and so on. If they can figure out the rest of the vehicle it'd be a great driver.

My bet is Ford is just doing its homework and this thing will be ready to go if the market clearly says.."yes, we are losing too many sales to Ram with their V-6 ". In the meantime, I 'm sure the Ford position continues to be.."who needs a diesel when the two Ecoboost options give equal performance for less money".

The fact that diesel fuel is back to an equal basis with 87 octane, is also a factor that makes the diesel economics a bit better IMO.

I just had the turbo replaced in my 2006 Duramax 3500 4x4 under warranty and now get 2 plus mpg, other than fuel mileage increase no difference in power. The truck had no driveability issues it would randomly get an odd code p003a that would self reset after 4 or 5 starts. Got it right from the get go when I bought it new. They said not to worry and everything was fine. This past summer a buddy of mine at the Chevy dealer told me to bring it in every time it had the code so he documented it and Chevy had them run a couple tests and replaced a couple sensors upgrade the ECM than told them to change the turbo.

Sure would have been nice to have had that 2 + mpg back since 2006. Based on my mileage per gallon would have saved around 2500 gallons of diesel avg priced since 2006 is probably $2.75, that would have been $6875.00 I could of bought another Mack!

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."