sad parts stores

I wouldn't even attempt to........

I drive it all over, N.Y. to Virginia , N.Y. to Hersey Pa Lime Rock Ct for the Corvair convention.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I drive it all over, N.Y. to Virginia , N.Y. to Hersey Pa Lime Rock Ct for the Corvair convention.

I meant I wouldn't want to go to a prts store and look for anything. The people who work there would just look at it with a blank stare.

I however, WOULD drive it everywhere. I think those things are cool.

Rock Auto - on line, they have almost everything. Great prices and two day delivery. Not sure where the corvair comment came from, but my old auto parts store (Delta Auto Parts in CT) was/is great... they had an old corvair ramp side pick up in back.. ran great in 1985 he wanted to give it to me.. said it was so ugly no one wanted it.. i thought so too, but now "one that got away"

• Like 2

I worked at a Napa for about 3 years. Did my damndest to not be a "parts monkey". Learned from one of the old timers how to use the catalog system instead of relying on the computer. I'm a bit of a gearhead so I knew what parts were 2wd/4wd/motor specific as well.

Spent many hours helping guys measure belts for odd applications and pulling filters off the shelf to find something that fit heavy equipment.

• Like 1

Xdude, you were the kind of person I tried to get at the parts stores.

I can remember one time I was putting my '60 Chevy pick up together. It's a street rod so everything was custom or from another vehicle. I was having trouble finding a u-joint that would fit. The yoke on the rearend was a different size than the driveshaft.

The guy at the Big A looked at my dilemma and went, "HHHMMM. I think I know what you need. " He went into the back for a few minutes and came out with one for a four wheel drive (mine isn't ). It fit perfectly and worked.

Some of those knowledgeable people are still out there.

Xdude, you were the kind of person I tried to get at the parts stores.

I can remember one time I was putting my '60 Chevy pick up together. It's a street rod so everything was custom or from another vehicle. I was having trouble finding a u-joint that would fit. The yoke on the rearend was a different size than the driveshaft.

The guy at the Big A looked at my dilemma and went, "HHHMMM. I think I know what you need. " He went into the back for a few minutes and came out with one for a four wheel drive (mine isn't ). It fit perfectly and worked.

Some of those knowledgeable people are still out there.

I had that problem with my own pickup (97 F350). The ujoint listed in the computer was too small. I dug around in the back with my old joint until I found the right one. I made a note of it so that when anyone needed a joint for a similar truck, I went right to my note and gave them the proper one.

• Like 1

Good parts people are a gift from God!................the others came up from Hell ........cuz they were too dumb for the Devil to deal with! When I was working as a field mechanic I had a book full of numbers that I could call for emergency parts, I would make contact with these people as we did work in their area ,and would do as much business with them as I could, as long as they didn't over charge me. Had several great business that would let me send my UPS shipments to them and they would deliver them with my parts orders, hard to find that kind of service any more.

• Like 2

i was never really a "parts guy" but I did work for 13 years for a race car parts company. We sold gearboxes, suspension , and other race car spare parts. The worst part about that was that about every few years the race cars would change from one mfg to an other and thus right when you started remembering most of the popular part numbers BAM...a new chassis was released and you had to learn a new car all over again. The other issue was that some of the old classic but still popular race car chassis, such as LOLA Cars U.K just had the old exploded view drawings to go off of. You had to look for the orginal part number then flip to the back of the book to find what model car it was equipped in as the same parts were used in other chassis. after you got all you basic info you had to look for any up dated revision part numbers associated with that number. Were talking old race cars made back in the 1960s thru the1980s. PITA but I will give that company credit as it was very rare we could not find a part number for a old LOLA chassis.

• Like 1

The craziest thing I ever saw was when I blew a coolant hose on a 400 Cummins. Autozone was within walking distance so I went there. I needed a 1" hose with a 90deg bend about 3" long. Told the parts guy what I needed and he quickly said they didn't have that. I said " you mean to tell me you don't have any 1" hose with a 90 on it?" He still said no but would let me look at their hose selection after I asked. I found a long 1" hose that had several bends and one was a 90. I told him I'd take it but he still said it wouldn't work because the hose I had fit a Honda. I told him was I was going to do and it blew his mind, like it was against the law or something to modify a part to fit something else.

Another time I went to Advance Auto for a belt for a Ford Powerstroke. Guy punches all the info in the computer and brings out a new belt. I had the old one with me so I compared them before I left, the new belt was at least 3" too long. I tried to show the guy his mistake but he wouldn't have it. Even after I showed him the belt comparison, he just kept saying that the computer says it's right so it has to be right. Ended up just having to get a refund and go somewhere else.

Another time Autozone wouldn't sell me a 12v coil without me telling them what it went on. Had to just leave because a 1954 Allis Chalmers tractor wasn't in their computer. I've also found that a lot of the younger guys don't even know what non-electronic ignition parts or carborators are.

Our local NAPA is great. More times than not they can just look at the part and go pull one off the shelf. Only problem is if you need a part after 5pm or on Sunday, they are closed.

• Like 2

It is not just cars and trucks.. The local Toro lawn mower dealer counter man wanted the VIN number to be able to find a set of BLADES after I had told him the model number and deck size?? My reply was "Computers and Dipsh#t parts men" and walked out!! Went to the Ace Hardware and he picked them right off the shelf.

• Like 1

Brocky

Any of you guys within spitting distance of Trans Edge Mack in Allentown PA need to call Randy Z. Second shift parts man for your older Mack parts. He has been extremely helpful to me over the years.The guy is like an encyclopedia... Has access to a lot of discontinued parts, and knows what will interchange also.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

My local independent auto parts store lets me browse his hoses and belts when I am trying to cobble something together. He knows part numbers and computer inventory don't do any good for what I am working on. He understands customer service, and consequently he earns my business.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I my self have been one who has made fun of the young guys not knowing as much as we who think they should but think about it.Most are on their first job and don't know just like we was when we was when young.For the last few years I try to remember the mistakes I made and look at the little foolish things the parts guys do and then I try to balance every thing out.I have learned from years working with the public just chill out and its going to be a faster day.I know with me when a man comes in and is in a bad mood it puts me in same mood.If he gets short with me I don't care myself.But I have seen it all.I have seen guys that would come up to the parts counter that did not know what they wanted or guys that expect the parts man to remember his vin # from last month.Or a bolt about as long as his little finger but fatter than that one you sold me last week.I buy some things at nappa and I have been asked many times when buying things for my mack what year and just let them look for a bit before telling them it ant in there.

• Like 1

glenn akers

One thing too is the time frame most of us grew up in. In most cases we all had auto shop and technical classes in school, vehicles we cobbled together, places to race or watch and a ton of gear head friends and family. Now most younger people don't have an older vehicle to drive, schools frown on technical classes and parents push kids away from those fields.

Lastly, the past few generations grew up with computers and internet and get all info there. They no longer are taught or have the patience to search for an answer beyond the computer. Progress I guess..

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Different work ethic plays a very large factor also.

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

Here is one that happens today. Wife was on town and I text her get me 7 gallons of 50/50 mix antifreeze. I get a text saying they don't have it. Call her ummm what? He ask me what it was for so I told him a Mack and he told me that don't carry anything like that... Ok dear put him on the phone. " This Matt" yeah bro you don't have 50/50 premixed? "Yeah we do but not for a Mack" What?? Ok bro get her 7 gallons of the stuff you do sell and quit thinking... Bye!

I mean really I could not make this shit up if I tried.

• Like 1

I understand everybody has to start somewhere but if you want my parts business, put somebody that has a clue behind the counter helping me. Or at least listen to me when I try to help them and don't act like I'm the idiot.

A parts guy is not a entry level job.

What 41chevy said has a lot to do with it. For the most part kids today don't want take the time to learn their profession. They just want to sit behind the counter and get a paycheck.

• Like 2