MACK Belly Dump

Who originally used them? Road builders, Pit Mines??

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 8 years later...

That's pretty awesome. Never know what someone will find logging into this site!

I hope it runs, it looks clean, no rust in that flyer. I'd love to see that thing working on a job site, but I don't suppose that'd be good for preservation and whatnot.

Probably didn't sell more as a Scraper does the work of 2 pieces of equipment, self loads and hauls it off to dump.

• Like 1

can remember seeing pictures and literature of them back in the day ; don't think east coast was a prime spot for their sales .. it's always a good day when seeing another piece of history saved. specially when that piece says MACK on it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxyjosh said:

Repair the engine and use it in our club’s museum operations. 

Welcome @Foxyjosh!

I see that you are from Ohio. What club are you a part of?  Do you have shows where we can all come see this beast?

• Like 2

I did save a Chrysler slant six years ago by removing the head, soaking the cylinders and tapping on pistons real carefully I was able to free it up and use it. I was wondering if gaskets were available for anything that Old best of luck with it… bob

but looking at that photo you posted about that old shovel reminded me when I was like kid they used to be a lot of old-fashioned steam shovels they were using on the job back in the early 60s they’ve come along way… oooooooooohhhh by the way, I am off today. Plenty of time to play with my phone…. Bob

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, mowerman said:

but looking at that photo you posted about that old shovel reminded me when I was like kid they used to be a lot of old-fashioned steam shovels they were using on the job back in the early 60s they’ve come along way… oooooooooohhhh by the way, I am off today. Plenty of time to play with my phone…. Bob

You are welcome to come visit our show where we operate the old shovels. We do have operational steam rollers however, no one in the club is trained to operate steam equipment so our steam machines are static display only.

This video is from our 2017 open house

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIftlJh3EB4&t=98s

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 70mackMB said:

What the hell kind of dozer is that at 5:50?! Never seen one of them before.    .....Hippy

Allis Chalmers. Not sure what the model number is. The blade is fixed to the frame and is raised and lowered by the cylinders pushing down on the tracks. The blade can't be tilted and the rigid mount makes it hard to see what you are doing. This design wasn't very popular so many were not made.

• Like 1