237 flywheel?

Freightrain

34 minutes ago, wingman said:

I like the long look, but kinda liked the shack on the back!

Me too!    Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I like the long look too.   As for racing?  Yes they got the race in but I parked the car before eliminations.  The traction was so poor that in four passes I never got a full run.  Three of them I tried to take out the photographers on the left side and the last pass it tried to change lanes and spin around.  I was pissed and put it back in the trailer.  The track was too cold no matter what they tried.  I had a good time overall talking with everyone.  Racing sucked...,they need to get this set up later in the year when it is warmer.

The truck performed flawless.  Online issue was my wipers took a dump about an hour from home.  They would only go one way.  Guess I need to check some airlines.  They only ran 10 hrs of a 12 hr drive.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Fred, I just put a sheet of Dynamat across the doghouse area(engine compartment).  I had one sheet left over from the pack I bought a few years ago when I did the floor area.  It was just enough to do it.  Since I still have all my wires/plumbing I didn't want to worry about covering the whole wall.  It surely made a difference.

Edited by Freightrain

Larry

Well did a little work on the truck tonight.   My shutters were not working correctly so I unhooked them.  Checked things out and realized I put the air in the outlet side and shutters on the inlet side.  Oops, so I swapped lines and we'll she if they work right.  They closed, but would not open right(just leaked air).  The valve is one way and with air going the wrong way I could see why they would not open.

My air wipers also quit an hour from home the other night.  I was thinking the worst............but seems it was only the brass plug on the toggle valve.  It was loose and leaking air which would not allow it to have enough volume to work.  Once I resealed that they are back to working lickety split.

All back to good and ready for taking it in another week to the train tour our club set up.

• Like 1

Larry

RainX can sure be a good commodity when in need. I sure would take a small bottle with me just encase the air wipers stop again. I recall the old 48 Chevrolet we had, wipers when going up hills would slow down to a creep, but when going down hills would almost fly off the windshield.  

I used to have rain x on the windows years ago when the wipers didn't work as well.  Though I don't usually worry much as I don't go racing in the rain.  Just bad timing and this time I put a dab of silicone on the fitting to keep it from coming loose.  It lasted 10+ yrs so I guess I just need to keep an eye on it.

I like rain x to a point, but it also makes wipers skip and smear in some situations.  Almost better to not use the wipers at all after you put it on.  

Larry

5 hours ago, Freightrain said:

I like rain x to a point, but it also makes wipers skip and smear in some situations.  Almost better to not use the wipers at all after you put it on.  

I tried it on my working truck and found the same result.   I have 15 grocery stores a night I deliver to with only short trips in between.   I like it on the mirrors but wouldn't get going fast enough for wind to keep windshield clear.  Then wipers would smear.   

Glad I'm not the only one.  Just bought a '95 F150 and previous owner put something on the window.  Nice, but a PITA with the wipers on.  It spatters the rain all over making it even more difficult to see.  I'm going to do a little buffing on the paint and get some wax on the truck so I might buff the windshield to get the surface cleaned off.

Larry

• 4 weeks later...

Well, did a little more work last weekend.  The 237 has less pedal travel on the pump. I had to lower it a touch so the floor stop was at the right spot.  Only problem it is still pretty high in the air and I got really bad cramps in the right calf from holding my foot UP in the air so far.  Unlike previous years when I just hold my foot to the floor to drive it.  I now hold it UP.  So, I got another bolt(shorter) and cut about 2" out of the rod coming up through the floor.   It worked out well.  The pedal at WOT is just touching the firewall at the top edge and just resting on the stop and is WOT at the pump.  My foot will be more level with the floorboard and I won't have to hold it up so bad at my ankle.  Going a road trip this weekend so we'll give it a shot and see how it is after a couple hours on the highway.

I'm going to look at getting a cruise control set up for it next winter.  I already have an electronic speedo in it so that part is already there.

• Like 1

Larry

• 3 weeks later...

Well, got a few trips under the belt.  Seems to be running well.  I did notice an oil leak, but it's coming from the air compressor inlet.  Seems I've got some worn rings/broken rings/etc.  My guess is while unloaded it is pumping oil back out the inlet screen and it is running down the outside.  Guess I might have to pull the compressor from my 673(as it was rebuild) and switch them over.  It makes good air but I don't want to deal with the slobbering.  I don't really recall my other motor doing this but it had so many leaks it was hard to tell since everything was damp.

This engine had the air inlet running to the air cleaner but I switched it to the little air breather box set up from my old 673.  Maybe if I put a tube running up to the air cleaner pipe it will contain the oil?  Or it will just make a mess inside my intake pipe?(most likely).

I'm still trying to get a road video made, just having a hard time setting it up before I go somewhere.

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

always hated those setups where the compressor tube went to the air cleaner tube. just think how hard it was for that little compressor to try to suck a little air to make some when most was getting used up by the engine suckin it in the air intake.always liked the little filter on the side of the compressor myself

• Like 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Sure it is cleaner air overall, but I agree with the volume being drawn by the engine I bet it is quite the vacuum inside that air intake tube.

Here is a little inside video from the dinner cruise during out show last weekend.

Using my sound meter I get a steady 92 db inside the cab with either the windows open or closed.  Quite a bit lower then the old motor.  I'm pretty sure it was over 100+ db and really bad with the windows down.

Edited by Freightrain
  • Like 1

Larry

always hated those setups where the compressor tube went to the air cleaner tube. just think how hard it was for that little compressor to try to suck a little air to make some when most was getting used up by the engine suckin it in the air intake.always liked the little filter on the side of the compressor myself

My 2000 CX, and I noticed my 1985 MH, are plumbed into the intake manifold, on the pressure side of the turbo. I seem to remember losing boost pressure through the air compressor, solved that by putting the small individual filter on the compressor, but then having trouble with air compressor failures. Apparently the intake air temperature is too hot under the hood, that is why most newer models are plumbed into the engine air system. In my research, I found CX's plumbed to either side of the turbo, never determined a rhyme or reason.

Ya, I had ear plugs in the truck 14 yr ago.  Sadly the noise was worse with the stock muffler on it.  It would just drone you to death on the highway.  I'm just glad I got the Dynamat put on the firewall, that help tremendously.  That and the turbo taking the bark out of the exhaust.  It was always louder with the windows down, but not anymore.

The guys I see with those big 8" pipes just roaring down the highway....Ugh,  ya that is just too much bellow for me.  I like to hear it, but not like that.  My 4" pipes are just perfect.

Larry