237 flywheel?

Freightrain

It is kevlar.  Put the bobcat on the back and now it is fine.  10# of boost and it pulls it fine.  I'm pretty excited with driving it.  Can't wait to get my trailer on the big road and roll with it.  Even straight piped it is even more quiet in the cab then before.  Sounds good out the window, would like to hear coming done the road!

IMG_20160420_164710_581.jpg

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Ya, need to get a video sometime soon.  Did notice a fuel smell occasionally.  Seems the #3 injector is dripping somewhere around the fuel line?  I felt around and the lines seem dry, but was a small puddle on pocket of the intake around the injector.  I dried it up, will run it again this weekend and see if it comes back.  Never noticed any leak just running in the driveway.  I did have the lines off, but didn't replace the copper washers.  Might need to do that?  All the rest is dry.

I purchased an Isspro pyro/boots gauge.  I pulled the ashtray as that is a nice place to mount it(and don't need the ashtray).  Just need to make up a bezel to mount it, though I did run the wires and have it functioning to see how the motor responds on my trip yesterday.

My stutterstat is sticking suddenly also.  Need to take it apart and see if it got a piece of crud stuck in it.  It closes fine, but won't reopen.  Just leaks air out the top of it.  Found out the hard way on my trip yesterday.  Got it up to 20)* before I realized it.  I unbolted the cylinder and just let the springs hold the shutters open.  No problem then.  Ran about 160* the rest of the trip.

Larry

Out for a spin today at lunch.  Running good.  Still checking things over for next weeks trip.  Gets a bath tomorrow and loading up race car and prepping trailer.  Took a jaunt on the highway, it will pull near 15# of boost.  Runs along really well.  I did grease the front end and changed oil in air filter along with grease u joints.

IMG_20160423_182512_717.jpg

Larry

Well the road trip test went well.  Got the race car loaded and hit the highway yesterday.  Pulls well.  Drives nice, went about 50 miles.  Gets about 15# of boost, pyro went to 900* under a pull, temp only gets to 175* or so under load.  Typically about 160* cruising along.  

The only concern is my transmission.  I don't lug it below 1600 rpm.  It has always been noisy after at trip(rattling), but under load it seems to thump?  Don't really feel anything in the shifters, but I don't want to hurt anything worse then it is.  We'll see how it does this week on my trip.

Edited by Freightrain
  • Like 1

Larry

I'm kinda liking the "longgg" look without the bunk.  I'd like it better with tandems out back(even though that is a moot point with what I do with it--I just like the look).

Jim, do you still run an oil bath air cleaner on your truck?  I'm wanting to get a dry element, but just don't want to spend that much money right now(Watts has them).

Larry

Tandem, long wheelbase, sleeper.....   BIGGER garage!

Running a dry filter on the 75.  When I bought the truck, the original filter was missing.  I picked up a dry filter from Phil at Global about 7 years ago.  It was on the shelf so I don't know what it was off other than an R/U model (?).  Let me know if you want some pics.

Paid $100.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Watts has NEW for $525....ouch.  Likely the same filter as you have?  Just not ready to spend that kind of money on a filter for a rusty ol truck.

I hot tanked mine about 12 yrs ago and painted it.  Looks nice and I know the inside is perfectly clean.  It was mentioned by a friend that I should NOT run an oil bath filter as the wire mesh might get into the turbo.   

Edited by Freightrain

Larry

Here's a pic.  The body is 22" tall and takes a Fleetguard AF-966 filter element.

The B75 has the fender to cab filler panel so this may not be suitable for the B61.  You may have to scout around to find the correct height dry housing to fit.

B75 air 1.JPG

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

1 hour ago, Freightrain said:

I'm wanting to get a dry element, but just don't want to spend that much money right now(Watts has them).

I have a stainless one off a freightliner classic.  It's the Nelson not Donaldson.    My buddy crossed filters over and found one about 3" shorter. Then he cut the welds and shortened the housing.  Also had to weld a new neck on it.   I don't tig weld so its at his shop now.   This is the only pic I have right now.                                       image.jpg 

• Like 1

Nice!  I suppose with some work I could do the same kinda thing.  Just need to find a bargain on a housing.  I want to keep my riser on the top, as I like that raised option.

Edited by Freightrain

Larry

2 hours ago, j hancock said:

Here's a pic.  The body is 22" tall and takes a Fleetguard AF-966 filter element.

The B75 has the fender to cab filler panel so this may not be suitable for the B61.  You may have to scout around to find the correct height dry housing to fit.

B75 air 1.JPG

If I rotate it and raise it, it would likely fit okay.  My air inlet goes through the cab.

Larry

6 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Well the road trip test went well.  Got the race car loaded and hit the highway yesterday.  Pulls well.  Drives nice, went about 50 miles.  Gets about 15# of boost, pyro went to 900* under a pull, temp only gets to 175* or so under load.  Typically about 160* cruising along.  

The only concern is my transmission.  I don't lug it below 1600 rpm.  It has always been noisy after at trip(rattling), but under load it seems to thump?  Don't really feel anything in the shifters, but I don't want to hurt anything worse then it is.  We'll see how it does this week on my trip.

Larry

Its possible the "thump" you hear is normal?

The Maxidynes had a "growl" to them. Hard to explain but their low end grunt often gave the truck a feel of its own.  

5 hours ago, Lmackattack said:

Larry

Its possible the "thump" you hear is normal?

The Maxidynes had a "growl" to them. Hard to explain but their low end grunt often gave the truck a feel of its own.  

Well, I kinda wondered about it.  Kinda sounds like a V8 in a way.  That thump(power pulse) under load, even at 1600 rpm.  Just didn't seem to be that bad earlier in the trip.  Once the transmission was warm(and loose) it seemed to be more noticeable.  I held the shifters and you could seem to feel it in the aux and you could "hear" it like it was knocking the teeth in the transmission as it pulsed.   Guess that is the best way I can explain it.  I just don't want to spit gears out, though I know I'm not "abusing it".

For Mike:  Thanks.   Here's a car video(been seen before I'm sure).

Ron, I kinda thought they still had oil bath in the early days of the 237.   My buddy Dan was just concerned that my old metal mesh might break loose and get into the turbo.

Larry

I was wondering about that oil bath filter, with as much air as that 237 will eat it is at the edge of sucking oil right out of the bath. I converted to dry when my turbo V8 went in as well. Paid $200 for a stainless take-off from Strickland's Salvage. Are you close to Adelman's Truck Salvage? They should have a pile of filters from just about everything. $100 should get one...

Ya, Adelman's is in my back yard.  Matter of fact the previous owner of MY truck currently is the used truck salesman.  He sold out the towing business(retired) and just sells trucks to keep busy.  I need to take it over and show him.  I stopped over last fall to look for alum tanks and saw his car across the street(truck yard) so I went over and talked.  I hadn't seen him in a few years.

Larry

21 minutes ago, AZB755V8 said:

. I converted to dry when my turbo V8 went in as well. Paid $200 for a stainless take-off from Strickland's Salvage. Are you close to Adelman's Truck Salvage? They should have a pile of filters from just about everything. $100 should get one...

Your B is really sharp.   I'd  really like to see a pic of the passenger side of it to see your air cleaner.      I think I gave $100-150  for the one I used.  

Time seem to fly the older we get... Go and say Hi you might get a filter for just taking your truck over... It will certainly make the previous owners day and maybe set you up to get some other stuff. Just say your bring it in for scrap.... what would they give you for it? That would be a day they all would remember..  Just for fun.. LOL 

Nice truck, and it should really move with that engine and tranny combo. :thumb: