STRAIGHT PIPES

GOOG

I was in Brooklyn yesterday sitting dead still in traffic. A very fancy Pete went by (going the other way) with straights. Then it occurred to me he wasn't making a sound. He was amazingly quiet. That's what I want on mine.

My old 359 with 8V92 had a muffler underneath... When I got the urge, I'd slip the muffler off and insert a piece of straight pipe.

The urge to hear a un-muffled 8v92 wouldn't last long. I drove a straight piped 8v92 Mack once and ear plugs were mandatory.

• Like 1

The urge to hear a un-muffled 8v92 wouldn't last long. I drove a straight piped 8v92 Mack once and ear plugs were mandatory.

I didn't think it was terrible... had a wicked 'crack' in the note between 1800-2000. I think any Cummins 855 through the ISX's made a lot more exhaust noise. The blower on my '92 was annoying to me though.

• Like 1

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.

I was in Brooklyn yesterday sitting dead still in traffic. A very fancy Pete went by (going the other way) with straights. Then it occurred to me he wasn't making a sound. He was amazingly quiet. That's what I want on mine.

Was it a newer unit? If so, the "muffler" is the DPF/SCR system.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I wouldn't bet against the muffler being replaced by a "test" pipe occasionally, but it will be initially set up on the quiet side. I've had many trucks on the wild side, just not inclined that way today. Should I go with 6" pipes or 7". I'll use 5" from the turbo to the square tube that will mount the stacks.

I run a single muffler under the cabin Then thru a y pipe to twin 6 inch pipes up behind sleeper very quite to sit in all day whilst pulling but I've been told by various people that it still sounds good Some say pull the muffler and install a small resonator but its working well for me so ill leave it till time to replace muffler

Other truck has straight thru single 5 inch behind cabin on the off side

Sounds great for a short drive but not to work all day

Just my opinion

I think longer stacks muffle some noise. Especially getting it away from the cab. And if you turn the tips away from the cab it helps.

R model I drive was 4" and belled out to 5" at the bottom of the stack.

Most important for me is getting even smoke out both pipes at the same time. Those V8s where bad for uneven smoke with those funny Y pipes.

What I've always done is square tubing across the frame. I'll put a 5" nipple on the bottom as an inlet. Put two nipples on the top for the stacks to connect to. I put a 3"x3" square tube riser just inside the stacks to brace the stack. Then I like to put flood lights on the top of the braces. I'd rather work with the square tubing than with fittings. Just my preference.

I have 7in straights behind 70in bunk on my CX and it is too loud when cruising on long stretches. Its fun on short runs but I'm to the point it needs toned down a bit. I'm going to try a resonator under cab just behind flex pipe that comes off the squeeze pipe from turbo. I have one that is 9in in diameter and think it will fit without cab contacting it.