300 in a B model

Freightrain

I'd hate to get rid of the sticks too, but a 300 or even a 237 with a 5 speed would be the cat's ass, as Larry Wales used to say, for what you're pulling with it, i'd bet you'd love it.

You'd be blowing the large cars doors off on the hills too, instead of vice-versa.

I drove an F model with a 300/5spd. for several years, had 3.87 rears and would run 80 mph. and pulled good too. They loaded 14 pallets of kyanite then, weighed 49,900 lbs, plus the bag weight, plus the pallets, totaled 50,155 lbs. and I hauled it all over the place with that Mack.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Nice. I saw an ad locally for 237/5spd for the same kind of money. Didn't jump on it.

That has a drum brake on the back> when did they stop putting those on??

$_14.JPG

My 237/ 5-speed combo ( which is for sale btw ) vintage 1970 has an empty brake drum on the output shaft. The truck had maxi brakes from new... Must be hand brake was still optional in 1970?!?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Is there any risk in running an E6-250 two valve in front of a quadbox. My 815 is set up that way now...had the 255 V8 from Mack but I have no idea what the torque specs are from one to another. Could I get in trouble if it were loaded and I didn't know better?

Don't mean to hijack the thread so apologies there.

That is why I was originally looking for a 250 motor. This 300 just fell in my lap(when I call the guy next week). I can always detune it a touch. I'd like to have it all though. Will just have to see how it pans out.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

One of the worst things I ever did was sell a fella with one arm my B61 with a factory sleeper, after he could not shift the triplex he had a 300 and 5 speed put in it, after he went swimming one day and didn't do so well, his widow sold the truck and I lost track of it.

Wallpaper hanger by trade??

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Was thinking about this on my way back from Pittsburgh last night. They put 275 and 320 supercharged Cummins in LTLs so why is the mack 300 any worse? As long as it is not a Maxidyne version?

How do the power bands compare? Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Larry why not put a 300 with a 5 or 6 speed direct? You can still find those 6 speeds laying around for cheep.

What is your current rear end ratio? If its in the 3.xx you will have a 70 mph truck with a strong engine and trans... Regardless I think the triplex will be fine with a light load for all your hiway driving you do. It's the heavy off road lugging that people were more worried about with the maxi / 72 series transmissions.

I think you will need a different clutch linkage as the B and R models differed. One is a push style the other is a pull style. Also the pullys up front on the engine stick out farther on the maxidyne vs a thurmodyne.

Regarding the eBay link "300"..... It looks like a early 237 or older 673. Just looking that it's not inter cooled. The pipe off the turbo goes directly into the intake. The 285 HP were side mount charge cooled and 300 were front mount inter cooled..

I have 4.10 gears.

Time will tell what the motor actually is that I'm going to get. If only a 237, that's fine. I'll up the pump to 250 specs and just run my transmissions. Like I said anything will be an improvement over my current motor.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I have heard rumor a 237 or 300 will suck the oil out of the oil bath turbo air cleaner on a B. might be worth changing to a paper filter rather than having the engine take off on you.

I've heard people say that too, but I've driven a few B's with the original air cleaners and Maxidynes. Wonder if that's ever happened or just a myth?