Need bearings...

Bigdogtrucker

My 673(non turbo 170HP)has always run great, but has had low oil pressure and a vibration. After the oil change(Lucas/30W)the pressure is a little better and the vibration is much less. Would like to do rods/mains. The few places I've checked list all bearings being the same for 672-711, and some have certain older years listed alone. Would these Clevites be good to go?

http://www.agkits.com/mackend672673675676707711mainbearingset.aspx#.VfmbGvlViko

http://www.agkits.com/macke66736756766777077112valveconnectingrodbearingsoe.aspx#.VfmbQvlViko

I'd suppose they are the same for 673 turbo, 237, EM6-300 and E6-350.

I mean the offered ones.

Am I wrong?

As for the brand you asked Mahle is a top quality product for European car market.

Many Mercedes engines had pistons and rings made by Mahle.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I was told the rod bearings changed in "85, I assume they went bigger then.

One can't assume here. What are the bearing widths? Are they standard or (how much) oversize ?

The collective experience of the BMT members is second to none, and at your service. However, certain information must be confirmed.

• Like 2

One can't assume here. What are the bearing widths? Are they standard or (how much) oversize ?

The collective experience of the BMT members is second to none, and at your service. However, certain information must be confirmed.

If they changed to a wider bearing in the mid "80's, there's no way my 1960 would have the newer version. Engine has never been out of the truck and rebuilt once.

If they changed to a wider bearing in the mid "80's, there's no way my 1960 would have the newer version. Engine has never been out of the truck and rebuilt once.

You're asking for help before you're ready to ask (putting the cart before the horse).

You say your engine is a 1960 vintage. Non-turbo 673s prior to 1962 had the narrower bearings. But with so many years having passed regarding your truck and engine, I want to confirm what you actually have.....width and size (I assume you didn't own the truck since new). This is why I asked you the width of your rod and main bearings.

You're asking for help before you're ready to ask (putting the cart before the horse).

You say your engine is a 1960 vintage. Non-turbo 673s prior to 1962 had the narrower bearings. But with so many years having passed regarding your truck and engine, I want to confirm what you actually have (I assume you didn't own the truck since new). This is why I asked you the width of your rod and main bearings.

I'm the third owner, friend of mine bought it from the original owner in the "70's and owned it over 30 years. Like I said earlier the engine has never been out and was rebuilt once. It ''should" have the narrow bearings in that case. Are those available?

• Like 1

I'm the third owner, friend of mine bought it from the original owner in the "70's and owned it over 30 years. Like I said earlier the engine has never been out and was rebuilt once. It ''should" have the narrow bearings in that case. Are those available?

Based on that, you should have the 1.913" width rod bearings (Mack No. 62GB2383 - individual bearings).

You need to confirm the width of the main bearings.

1-1/8" wide (complete set - 215SB36)

1-1/4" wide (complete set - 215SB72)

These part numbers also have "P" suffixes which reflect size (standard, .010, .020), but until you drop your pan, we don't know what you have.

So drop your pan, measure the bearings, and note what size they are (stamped on the back of the bearing).

Then call the good folks at Watts Mack and check availability.

• Like 2

How low is the oil pressure and when do you get the vibration could it be a bad damper?

15/17 hot @ idle. I changed the oil with 30W and a gallon of Lucas. Let her run at a high idle for a bit and the vibration(really feel it in the steering wheel/cab)just about went away. After it got hot from a little driving the vibration is there but not as bad as with the old oil. I was told by an old time Mack mechanic the worn mains cause that.

• Like 1

Do you think the truck was abused at some point or what do you think contributed to the accelerated wear of the lower end?

I asked in another thread how long a thermodyne should last and got the impression that they should last nearly forever if taken care of properly. Obviously they will wear out eventually but your engine seems pretty young yet.

I would be curious to know what was all done on the last overhaul and what brand components were used?

-Jeremy