B-73 Restoration

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see you're progressing! Turns out nice. And the only thing you need... is just continue doing the job the way you do :):):)

Wish you having enough of time and $$$ for.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Curious, it appears that you removed all of the peripherals from the frame, blasted and painted where they meet and put them back on before doing the final paint on the frame. Why not paint all of the parts and the frame while they are apart then just reassemble?. 

3 hours ago, mattb73lt said:

I did that for corrosion. A lot of the frame parts are aluminum and had to be repaired. I etch primed and then painted the mating surfaces to try and prevent that, along with greasing the bolt holes. I'll shoot the whole frame as a unit, now.

I understand the desire to paint under the various attachments for corrosion control, was wondering why, instead if just painting these spots for now you didn't paint the entire frame and THEN put the attachments back on. One advantage I suppose to doing it that way is if you want all the bolts painted in concert with the frame.

6 hours ago, Licensed to kill said:

I understand the desire to paint under the various attachments for corrosion control, was wondering why, instead if just painting these spots for now you didn't paint the entire frame and THEN put the attachments back on. One advantage I suppose to doing it that way is if you want all the bolts painted in concert with the frame.

I painted my chassis mostly together, but now I'm bolting on battery box, cab jack, etc...of course I end up scratching the paint and the bolts aren't painted. If you paint it apart, you can spray in all those tight spots but then you have to assemble it which is a different problem.

I like the idea of painting underneath the joints first, and then painting the entire assembly later.  Gives protection in the joints, like he said, and the final paint won't have any scratches or dings from attaching bits and pieces after paint.

I get it.

Like they used to say, "loooking goood"!

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

There's a fellow with a YouTube channel that restored a Farmall H.  He primed everything with red tint primer that way scatches don't show.  He painted all the bolts before assembly and then just touched them up after tightening.  It was a fantastic job.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

• 2 weeks later...