Ford bets U.S. consumers will snap up $70,000 pickup trucks

kscarbel2

Automotive News / July 21, 2015

Ford Motor Co. is responding to surging demand for high-end pickups by introducing a Limited version of the F-150 that will start at about $60,000 and likely top $70,000 when loaded with options.

The F-150 Limited, which Ford is unveiling today in Los Angeles, will go on sale this winter as a 2016 model. Its features include 22-inch polished aluminum wheels, Mojave leather seats and interior accents made of aluminum and fiddleback eucalyptus. Each truck’s production number is laser-engraved in a VIN plate on the center console lid.

“The F-150 Limited sets a new bar for what discerning customers should expect in a high-end truck,” Raj Nair, Ford’s product development chief, said in a statement. “We’re adding segment-exclusive technology, and features that improve productivity, convenience and capability with distinctive style.”

Ford offered a Limited trim on the 2013 and 2014 F-150, at a starting price of about $53,000, but discontinued it when introducing the aluminum-bodied 2015 model.

In the first half of this year, Ford said 60 percent of F-series sales were so-called high-series trims: Lariat, King Ranch and Platinum. As a result, the truck’s average transaction price has jumped 9 percent to $44,100 from a year ago.

Though the Limited trim isn’t expected to sell in large numbers, it gives Ford another way to maximize revenue from the hugely profitable F-series lineup. Its starting price is about $10,000 more than that of the Chevrolet Silverado High Country, $8,000 more than a Ram 1500 Limited and the same as a BMW X6.

Exact pricing will be announced later this summer.

“There’s a lot of people who buy trucks as both a work tool and a status symbol,” said Karl Brauer, senior director of insights for Kelley Blue Book. “You have a lot of wealthy businesspeople who have the money to buy an extremely capable and extremely luxurious truck. It’s not any financial stretch for these people to spend 50 or 70 grand.”

Ford sold about 190,000 F series for more than $50,000 last year, TrueCar estimated, outselling BMW’s 3, 5 and 7 series combined and the entire Audi brand.

The F-150 Limited will have a 3.5-liter, EcoBoost V-6 engine, which is a $400 option on the King Ranch and Platinum trims. It will have a unique grille, raised “Limited” lettering on the hood and a satin-chrome exterior accents. The interior contains massaging front seats, a Sony 10-speaker sound system and scuff plates with “ice blue” backlighting.

post-16320-0-63956700-1437465356_thumb.j

What Ever Happened to the Affordable Pickup Truck?

(The temptation of the overkill truck)

By Ezra Dyer / Car & Driver / April 2015

In 1987, my parents bought their first new truck, a Dodge Ram D150. The Big Dodge Ram, as it came to be called, was so sparsely equipped that it should have come with a vow of celibacy. It had a manual trans hooked to an overtaxed 95-hp slant six. You sat on a bench seat and your headrest was the glass immediately behind your noggin. For options, it had stripes.

As a kid, I thought it was the coolest truck in the world. As a teenage driver, my opinion was probably a little different, but the Dodge served nobly during the winter months when my IROC was encased in an ice fortress. No, the Ram wasn’t four-wheel drive. But I’ve found that if you drive fast enough toward an obstacle, it’s kind of like having four-wheel drive.

Now, not to sound like Grumpy McGrandpa, but these days trucks are different. Of course, they’re way better. But they’re also way more expensive. The Ram cost $9995, which means that today it would cost a little less than $21,000. A few months back I drove a rear-drive, cloth-seat Chevy Silverado V-6 that cost $36,000. Extended cab, not even a four-door. Throw four-wheel drive on it and you crowd the price of a Mercedes-Benz C-class. Lord, won’t you buy me a Z71 4x4?

And that’s what you pay for a modest truck. I just drove a Ford F-150 King Ranch that cost more than $60K. The cowboy motif—evoking the wide-open spaces of your wallet—isn’t really my thing, but the EcoBoost King Ranch is one gorgeous truck. It’s got twin turbos and an aluminum body, just like the new Ferrari 488GTB. The seats were heated and cooled and trimmed in the supplest of hides. When you’re helming the (heated, multifunctional) wheel of the mighty King Ranch, all other drivers are knaves. Bow down before my LED headlamps!

One time I drove the Ram through a chain and didn’t notice. The school had a new chain across one of the parking-lot entrances, but there was no flag or sign on it, so I didn’t see it as I pulled in. I heard it, though, as the Dodge’s chrome front bumper casually tore the chain from its concrete stanchions. There was no apparent damage to the truck. Can you drive a new F-150 through a chain? You probably could, but I bet you’d feel bad about it.

And therein lies the dilemma for the new-truck buyer. Trucks are so very nice, and so expensive, that you get anxious using them as trucks. I used a $62,000 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali to haul a yard of gravel for my driveway, and cleaning out the bed took me twice as long as the trip to get the gravel. Somehow I got rocks inside the tailgate, so I had to take that off, which meant wrestling with the wiring harness for the backup camera. The harness isn’t quite long enough, almost as if GM figures that nobody will ever need to remove a Sierra Denali tailgate for the purpose of pebble extraction. And on that count, they’re probably correct.

Excessive fanciness might even make your truck the object of ridicule. A couple years ago I drove an F-350 to a Patriots game, and my parking space was too narrow for the Dumbo-ear outside mirrors. So I hit a button and conveniently telescoped them in, the sight of which caused a nearby tailgater to point and laugh. It doesn’t feel good to get laughed at by a guy in a Starter jacket.

Now, you might point out that nobody is forcing you to buy the Rancho Supremo Rodeo Master Cowpoke Deluxe version of your favorite truck. Every company makes a basic work truck, but it’s ever so tempting to pile on the options. Even when I’m indulging in the make-believe of online configurators, I have a hard time resisting. I begin with a basic truck and then start saying: “Well, I’d want the V-8. And four-wheel drive. And I’d probably get at least an extended cab. And the locking differential would be nice. Bedliner and trailer package, obviously. And when you’re hooking up a trailer, a backup camera is really helpful, so let’s get the convenience package. Does that come with satellite radio? No?” And then I check the option for satellite radio on the imaginary truck that I’m not buying because, even hypothetically, I can’t stop myself from spending big dough on a pickup.

This is why I’m a bad person to consult for truck-buying advice. Recently, a friend told me he was looking at 2015 GMC Canyons and wondered what other trucks he should try. I told him to check out a few full-size models, too, because a leftover Ram or F-150 might slum it down into the Canyon price range once all the discounts are figured in. And he dutifully drove a Hemi Ram, an F-150, and a Silverado. A few days later he texted me a photo of his new truck: a $23,000 Canyon, four-cylinder and manual transmission, two-wheel drive. It’s about the most basic new truck you can buy. And he loves it.

I admire his honesty, his self-control, his acknowledgment that you don’t need to roll around in a jacked-up battlewagon just to haul a stepladder or a few bags of mulch now and then. His truck is rational, as the Big Dodge Ram was in 1987—just enough truck, no more. I respect that. But me? I would’ve sprung for the Hemi.

• Like 2

Have a friend, very Ford oriented like me, that leased a new Dodge because it was more affordable then any Ford F150 he could find. Sad.

My last new truck, 2000 F350 XLT, crewcab, dually, 7.3/6 spd was far less then ANY new F150 today. I think the sticker was like $30K? With "A" plan it was $24K.

My current transportation is a very clean and completely rust free 1989 F150 I found at a local lot. Cost me $3200. Had it 5 yrs now. Hope to get another 5+ yrs as long as no one wipes it out like the last one I had. Never see a new vehicle in my future, ever again.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

GM's new TV ad for it's truck is comparing the safety "Real American Steel" to the flimsy soda can Aluminum Ford. Let the ad wars begin!

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

60k for a half ton......ain't no way in hell! even if they filled it full of winnfall wimmin....NO! I will spend that for a tractor or something that makes me money, but not for something that will only be worth 30k in three years!

• Like 1

60k for a half ton......ain't no way in hell! even if they filled it full of winnfall wimmin....NO! I will spend that for a tractor or something that makes me money, but not for something that will only be worth 30k in three years!

Like a small water jet for my shop! :)

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

The back-to-basics "working" Ford pickup is looking better all the time.

• 3.9-liter 150 horsepower Cummins ISB 4-cylinder diesel engine with selective catalytic reduction (SCR)
  • Eaton 5-speed synchronized manual transmission
  • ABS brakes
  • Electronic brake force distribution (EBD)
  • Air conditioning

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/35823-ford-re-launches-f-4000-at-brazils-agrishow/

The back-to-basics "working" Ford pickup is looking better all the time.

• 3.9-liter 150 horsepower Cummins ISB 4-cylinder diesel engine with selective catalytic reduction (SCR)
  • Eaton 5-speed synchronized manual transmission
  • ABS brakes
  • Electronic brake force distribution (EBD)
  • Air conditioning

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/35823-ford-re-launches-f-4000-at-brazils-agrishow/

Amen. I started a thread today on Blueovalnews about perhaps the wisdom of a plain jane truck-given fact news of the day is a 70,000 buck F-150. Basically every response was .."no way". Of course-what came over me! And aI do understaznd the importance of a high average transaction price- I'm a Ford stockholder.

But I can't help but feel, there is a market for sure for such a vehicle. As long s there is incremental plant capacity this has to make sense-not everyone wants or can afford a Denali, King Ranch blah blah.

• Like 1

if i speced. a new ford it would be a copy of my 06 f350 except extended cab. and not the 6.0, not that i've had issues with it but i know they are comming. the other option would be a power window on the passanger side. i like having manual hubs and manual transfer case controls!!! (shit that dont break unless your an idiot) i would like a few more inches of ground clearance up front, so oil changes would be easer. I'm good with vinyl seats and rubber floor mats. my issue with a new one is how in the hell do you drive it off road in chest high dry grass and not panic aout the exhost temp? the old ones didnt go a bazillion degrees to clean the muffler!

Amen. I started a thread today on Blueovalnews about perhaps the wisdom of a plain jane truck-given fact news of the day is a 70,000 buck F-150. Basically every response was .."no way". Of course-what came over me! And aI do understaznd the importance of a high average transaction price- I'm a Ford stockholder.

But I can't help but feel, there is a market for sure for such a vehicle. As long s there is incremental plant capacity this has to make sense-not everyone wants or can afford a Denali, King Ranch blah blah.

A ton of HUMVEES were sold so I suppose this will be the next big thing.

P.T.CHESHIRE

You can still buy a plain jane truck. You just have to most likely order it since the majority of people dont want that kind of truck.

The base price of the cheapest F-150 offered today, the XL package, is $26,030.

The base level "Custom" package is no longer offered.

If Ford wants to be the undisputed market leader in pickup trucks, it should offer a a basic "Custom" work truck trim level (6' bed) starting at $20,000 (add $300 for 8' long bed).

Ford won't make money on it, just as they don't on base level compact and sub-compact car models. But it's all about the big picture, where they are making a huge profit in the pickup segment.

I remember late 80's the local Chevy dealer had crew cab dually c30/r30's with full conversions with stainless pushbars, headache racks, aluminum wheels, side steps, tri color paint, real wood interior trim with captains chairs etc for $22k and I thought wow that's a crapload of money. My sister worked for Gibbs Mazda in Columbia SC around 1990 selling B2200's for $7500 new.

Now you can't touch a decent 1/2 ton for at least $35,000 and $60+ for a diesel dually. Used oil burners are still $20-25k with 150-175k miles

Just curious, do you think any automaker (aside from VW in Europe) realizes the market for a plain 1/2 or 3/4 ton pick up? Land Scapers, scrap metal pickers, contractors, vehicle repair and parts businesses, hardware and feed stores, snow plows, Frozen meat and fish vendors, and people who only need a basic truck. I see around here that every one of them buys an older basic truck. Ask them why, most times the don't want a dressed unit to crap up.

P.T.CHESHIRE

Just curious, do you think any automaker (aside from VW in Europe) realizes the market for a plain 1/2 or 3/4 ton pick up? Land Scapers, scrap metal pickers, contractors, vehicle repair and parts businesses, hardware and feed stores, snow plows, Frozen meat and fish vendors, and people who only need a basic truck. I see around here that every one of them buys an older basic truck. Ask them why, most times the don't want a dressed unit to crap up.

You can go on the Ford site and build a basic truck that comes out to a price of $28,920. Regular cab, 8ft bed, 4x4, vinyl floor and seat,roll up windows, basic am/fm radio and steel wheels. These basic trucks can still be had, you just don't see them because everybody buys the fancy ones and since Ford and the dealers make more on the fancy ones, that is what they fill the lots up with.

Bought a 2003 Denali 3 years ago for $10k... By far the nicest newest vehicle I have ever owned. I haul cars for a living and see the prices... New 2015 Denali $75k... Escalade $85k... I will be happy and keep fixing my 12 year old with no payment book

Gregg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You can go on the Ford site and build a basic truck that comes out to a price of $28,920. Regular cab, 8ft bed, 4x4, vinyl floor and seat,roll up windows, basic am/fm radio and steel wheels. These basic trucks can still be had, you just don't see them because everybody buys the fancy ones and since Ford and the dealers make more on the fancy ones, that is what they fill the lots up with.

Depends on where you live I suppose. I just priced out the identical truck same to a Tee came out by this zip code at $32120 with the $3000 incentive When you add NYS tire disposal fee, tax and licensing $34564.05 No manual hubs or transfer case, no manual trans.

My 1 year old Dogde spends more time at the dealer than with me. Doge has offerede my money or credit to a new truck, mean while my early 1988 Dodge D -150 60,000 miles (V-6 NP 4 speed hd cooling and charging system, PS, PB no AC, carpets, PW or even radio) earns it's keep every day 362 days a year. Better off just doing a paint job and going through the mechanicals and keep it. Be ahead about 20+ grand.

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

Depends on where you live I suppose. I just priced out the identical truck same to a Tee came out by this zip code at $32120 with the $3000 incentive When you add NYS tire disposal fee, tax and licensing $34564.05 No manual hubs or transfer case, no manual trans.

My 1 year old Dogde spends more time at the dealer than with me. Doge has offerede my money or credit to a new truck, mean while my early 1988 Dodge D -150 60,000 miles (V-6 NP 4 speed hd cooling and charging system, PS, PB no AC, carpets, PW or even radio) earns it's keep every day 362 days a year. Better off just doing a paint job and going through the mechanicals and keep it. Be ahead about 20+ grand.

Wow that's quite the difference. I'm surprised there is that much difference between zip codes.

Wow that's quite the difference. I'm surprised there is that much difference between zip codes.

The varying of sales pricing based on U.S. city-region is one of the biggest scams of all time. And yet, our government says/does nothing to correct this wrongdoing.