Pickup conversions......

I remember when kevin 1st had that mocked up and had a gasser chevy in it and the fire truck cab. I always liked Tackaberrys green one. use to be at Macungie years ago, I remember it before he owned it. I think George Sprowl out of Maine did the green one for Tack. he also has done a few other red B models for guys pullin campers and I know he has scaled down a 359 Pete to and its yellow.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I believe the yellow one has B model fenders on the rear mounted backwards. Yes, George Sprowl did the green one as well as a couple of others. I first saw them years ago at Hershey. I always wanted to do one for my daily driver, and he was very good about sharing information with me about the details. I still have a 1993 Dodge with cummins I bought to make the conversion. Steelman

• Like 1

I would love to have one for a daily driver as well. I wonder how much metal work would be involved in a conversion. As in the fenders and if they had to narrow the hood or anything. Or like in the case of the yellow truck just run bigger tires..

Chris

I have thought about either doing one or have George Sprowl make one up.I spoke with him a few years ago out at the Gerhart show.If I remember right he said he uses a rolling frame from a f350 and then cuts the cab down to fit.I would my truck to be able to maintain highway speeds and have thought about using the drivetrain out of a newer school bus. So my question to all of you is does anyone have a contact number for George.Second question is what do you think about using the rolling frame from a school bus?Thanks for any thoughts.

I'm in the process of building one myself ( has been on hold while I rebuilt the engine in my Autocar). I'm using an 81 Chevy K20 with 37" Humvee tires. The tires are almost the same size

as a 9-20 so they fill up the fenders enough so I wont have to cut the sheetmetal down. Going to build a stepside bed with B model fenders.

The last on in the first group of photos has some really nicely done sheet metal work. Cut down fenders, grill and the bottom hood edges. Almost don't notice it. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

wish I had the specs on what George did to cut down that green truck. its scaled perfect. I know he sectioned the cab cause it has no center section or ash tray and he sectioned the hood, shell and fenders. looks like it has a 53-79 Ford or a Dodge Warlock box on it and that fits well to

• Like 1

Gray hair,I think that one with the Mack spokes is the way to go.If I do get around to doing one I think I will use short wheel base single axle tractor and go from there.Would like to use the drive line from the school bus or Cummins out of a dodge.That way the a/c will be already there.Hope there will be one at Macungie show.

• Like 1

I called and talked with Mr. Sprowl some 20+ years ago, and wrote down the specs regarding what he had done so I could build mine. I will try to locate it in my office. He narrowed the cab, shortened the height of the fenders and radiator grill, eliminating the small running light below the headlight, used a B67 (shorter) hood, first used a cummins 4BT but later changed to a 6BT, used a Ford 350 frame, and cut down the stepside fuel tanks. I seem to recall the front fender mods being the most difficult. Steelman

Here's my favorite. Not sure who it belongs to and not sure what's up with the red fender. But I like that it has Mack spokes, presume its all Mack except for the pickup bed.

Now that looks awesome! I wonder how they singled out the rear?

Chris

Edited by ChrisB

yup, knew he sectioned the cab . looks like he might have done both of those green trucks? one looks to have a standard hood shortened, and the other an aluminum B67 hood. I think I could handle all that except would need some guidance on the fenders. the fenders look perfectly scaled down. looks like he took a few inches out of the whole center of the fender, then cut it in half and took about 3 inches out the other way. he also sectioned the shell, then had it rechromed I see. I remember when that truck was first done before Tackaberry owned it. the all green one that is. the green and red one could almost be a twin

• Like 1

Wanted to do the pick-up conversion myself back in high school(late '70's). My dad said,"why don't you just get a B-model and drive it as it is?" .So,thats where I am now......thanks dad for a suggestion I listened to! Still think some conversions are cool though! Agree with Greyhair on that one he posted! Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

If anyone knows who owns that gray one, I'd really appreciate if you'd let me know. I'd be interested in buying it if it came up for sale. At the rate I'm going with my rust-bucket B20 I'll be 90 years old before it's drivable.

After sitting untouched in my shop for 2 years, I finally started work on it. Took me all day to get one fender off that thing. What a PIA. That many stubborn, rusty bolts and nuts are a humbling experience. Makes me appreciate what some of you guys are able to do and have done with your trucks.

• Like 1