Regear options

Brandt

I have 4.42's in my truck and am looking for a bit lower rpm at highway speeds. Is it cheaper to find the diffs with the gears I want (4.17 or 3.86) or to buy an entire rear clip?? I have cammelback suspension and want to keep it. I also have spoke hubs and they could stay or go. It would be nice if I could find a set of diffs with lockers, as I spend a good bit of time off road. I don't know what my current axles have for weight rating, but everything on this truck is built heavy. The build sheet says I have CRDPC92 and CRD93 axle assy.

Edited by Brandt

I would change gears rather than replace a whole clip I have a set of 3.86 if your interested but that is a pretty tall gear to be off road with you could run 24.5s if your not already to drop your rpms a bit

I've got 4.17's and had been contemplating 4.42's when I pulled a dump bucket on mostly 55 mph roads. Now that I'm flatbedding and spending more (still not much, though) time in 70 mph zones, if I HAD made the switch a few years ago, I'd be looking to swap back to 4.17's or even 3.94's. It is all in what you do and where you go, though. I'm running 11R24.5 tires, though, so my 4.17 rears are like having lo-pro 22.5's and 3.73 gears.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I'm running 11R 22.5 tires and with the spoke hubs a switch to 24.5 is as cost effective as regearing.

The engine is an EM7 which peak torque is at 1050 and peak HP at 1710rpm. I'm also running a 1070 12 spd, so with the 2 deep reduction gears, I think I would be OK with 3.87's. However I do think 4.17's are ideal.

Are all the Mack gear sets interchangable?? Or do I have to get gears from a set of axles that have the same weight rating and model.

Would a 12R22.5 tire work? Nearly the same diameter as an 11R24.5 tire, but fits on a 22.5" rim...you'd just need 9" wide rims instead of 8.25" wide. The load rating is also slightly better than an 11R24.5.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

The 315s are run as duals. you won't like the price for new but the casings can usually be had pretty reasonably because refuse companies are about the only ones who run em for drives. Yes, they can be put on 8.25 inch rims it is not ideal ( it lowers the weight rating) but you will be fine for drives . The best thing about running them is they are tough.

Can any one tell me more about the CRDPC92 and CRD93 axle assy?

That housing combination could be found in various 34,000, 38,000, 40,000 or 44,000 lbs. bogie models. Some were actually set up without a power divider.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

• 2 weeks later...

That housing combination could be found in various 34,000, 38,000, 40,000 or 44,000 lbs. bogie models. Some were actually set up without a power divider.

Somewhere I got the idea that they were 43K or 46K axles. I don't know where I got that info from. How do I tell w/o tearing them apart and measuring bearings?

• 2 weeks later...

Youll be cheaper in the long run and more than likely happier to swap to 4.17's, I went from 4.64's to 3.65's and I went too far with 11R24.5's, Im looking at going back to 4.17 or 3.87 myself, if I go to the 3.87 Ill swap to low pro 24.5's for a little more gearing. The CRD 92/93's just unbolt and drop in from one gear ratio to another, the only real difference is there are different splines for the power divider input and the axles, just make sure you know what you have and get the same splines.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"