EM6 Fuel Filter Re-positioning

Mr Black

Hi,

I need to move the position of my fuel filters on a R Model with an EM6. They originally sat off the chassis behind the front wheel but I have mounted a battery box and air tanks there as part of a complete rebuild of the truck.

I have a couple of ideal spots but they are above the height of the fuel pump. Is there any reason that this could cause trouble - ie. some sort of atmospheric pressure rule regarding height and fuel travelling uphill that I am not aware of?

Any input before I start fabricating brackets would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The rule of thumb is the less height and as few 90's in the fuel line the better. Now that being said, A lot of new trucks have a fuel water separator mounted up on the firewall. Higher than the valve covers! So most anything will work. Just keep this in mind when planning that the less "restrictions" the better.

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

I'm just in the process of moving my secondary filter on my B model. Originally right up on the right side of water pump. I'm moving it to a bracket on the frame to make room for a/c compressor. It will be lower then stock, so it should not be a problem. The "original" fuel line came up drivers side, over water pump and down to fuel pump, then up to filter and back down to injection pump inlet. It will now come up passenger side to fuel pump, then up to filter and over to injection inlet. As long as the pump has good enough draw....the length and loops should not be a problem.

Dang Jim. That 285 looks like it just fits in there just fine/dandy.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Thanks all, this has been helpful.

I think I will be mounting them on the plate that originally held the air con compressor, as I am not using genuine air con anymore. It's much closer to the pump than standard, but further from the tanks. I think it will be ok.

That 285 in the B Model looks awesome!!!

I'm looking at doing the same thing. I've came across one that had the red filter (not sure if its primary or secondary) mounted on the side of the radiator. That's on an Australian valueliner but I think the bonnet and grill is same width so could be done on an R model.

I'm looking at doing the same thing. I've came across one that had the red filter (not sure if its primary or secondary) mounted on the side of the radiator. That's on an Australian valueliner but I think the bonnet and grill is same width so could be done on an R model.

I didn't think of that. Will check out that space tomorrow.

One of the main reasons that the filters were mounted on the chassis is that when they were attached to the early Maxidyne and C motors, the Mack filters used to crack around the top and burst due to the vibration. Once they were mounted on the Chassis the problem went away - Kav

• Like 1