Has anyone ever changed to air ride suspension on a B?

I'm seriously considering putting air bags on my B61 to be able to sit it on the ground, and help the ride quality (I'm running bobtail and will never tow a heavy load)...while keeping the exterior stock (new paint and chrome of course). Does anyone have a link to a thread or pics to where anyone has done this before? Just curious as to what bags they used, what type of kit they used, what type of mounths they fabbed-up, etc. Thanks in advance!

I put air ride under mine a few years ago, but I also stretched it 5ft. I used a Neway single axle from a Ford chassis. It worked out very well and the new frame actually slid right over my existing frame and I just bolted the section on.

I have to seach the link to my post from a couple years back> It was in chassis forum.

Here it is:
http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/16282-adding-air-ridestretching-frame/?hl=%2Badding+%2Bair

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Just so you realize, air ride will likely not make a huge difference when bobtailing. I originally cut my springs down when I bought my truck to only 3 leaves on the rear. It still rode harsh without my trailer. With the trailer it rode nice. The biggest difference when I stretched it was not really the air ride, but the longer length. The ride was not so "bucky" due to the short wheelbase.

There used to be a conversion kit, called Superide. Replaced the rear springs brackets. I've see a few over the years and I was contemplating using it on my truck til I wanted to stretch it also.

Larry

It is a common conversion on trucks with a spring suspension.

I am just finishing up one on a ford F800. We searched and found a rear clip with the same axle, better ratio, and where the new bolt holes would miss all of the old bolt holes by inches. We redrilled the old frame and bolted the suspension on. We did replace all the bushings in the process.

What ever you do you will be drilling a lot of 5/8" and or 3/4" holes in the frame. You will need a bucks drill, magnetic drill press, and plenty of drill bits.

If you keep the existing rear axle you will need to add the track arm bracket to the axle.

Have you tried lowering the tire air pressure?

Have you tried removing some leaves from the rear springs? Rust between the leaves causes them to ride a little stiffer.

There is a guy around here who has a flat bed on the back of his tractor made out of a trench plate to add some weight.

My other truck really rides a lot better with 5,000 lbs on the back.

Was a fellow that came to Auburn ATHS National with an R model with about a 4' x 5' x 8" thick slab of iron strapped over the fifthwheel plate. I'm guessing he was trying to get the ol camebacks to ride "better"?

• Like 2

Larry

I remember the truck at Auburn,Larry. Always wanted to ask him if it made that big of a difference? Have a CH cutoff that I was planning on using 1 axle/suspension on the BCR. On the back burner for now (go figure).

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Its a Mack Truck, it will ride rough. If you want a better ride quality look for an air ride cut-off with the same ratio or maybe faster. You could always add and air ride seat if not equipped. Adding gas shocks may work but some fab work would be required. If you fab up an air ride cab it may ride a little better but it prob will be damn near impossible to do with how the front sheet metal bolts up. Stretching it, as mentioned, will improve ride quality as well. I was impressed when I first picked up our Cruiseliner and drove it back to Pittsburgh from Indiana. It rode just as nice as my Chevy 3500 dually with a Duramax that we drove out in. It definitely rode better than my B61. Its a short wheelbase single axle on Neway ARD but were stretching it and making it a tandem with Neway Mack rears.

No guys, what I'm talking about is taking the leaf springs off and replacing them with an air ride system that will allow me to set the truck rails on or near the ground when parked. It's more of a style thing than anything...I was just sort of hoping that it might help the ride quality by changing the heavy leaf springs to more forgiving set-up. My plans are to do a truck that looks similar to this one, but notch the frame and put an air bag suspension system on that would tuck the front tires way up into the wheel wells, and set the battery box, fuel tank and front bumper with-in an inch of the ground while parked.

post-19263-0-55764500-1417706483_thumb.j

Ha...LOVE being the first. That only means I'm the guinea pig and have to make all the mistakes! lol I'm thinking you are right Dirtymilkman...the 10,000 lb bags should be plenty heavy enough, as I'm only going to pull a tractor or classic car on a flatbed trailer behind the truck, at most. I really think it's a cool idea, leaving the wheels and outward appearance stock, but being able to tuck the fronts way up in the fender. Oh well...was hoping to find some help from someone who had already made the mistakes. Thanks guys! lol

That's exactly the look, Bigdogtrucker....actually, that truck is the insperation. The difference is, that truck is on a E350 Ford drivetrain and I'm going to keep my set-up all big-rig. I saw the build thread on this one...and while it looks great, it's still a "light-duty" truck. I wanted to keep the original look for a B model semi, but be able to tuck the tires and lay the battery box, fuel cell and front bumper on the ground, as in the above pic. I thik my ride height will have to drop 6 inches or so, because I don't think bags allow for enough travel to get my battery box step to the ground, and then back-up to where it is now. Most travel I've seen is about 6"-8", so I'll be riding lower than I am now, but be able to lay it out at full drop.

Here's the link to that build:

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?34307-1991IDI-Secret-Project

Edited by clemson_tiger29678

Why not call RideTech ? They do air ride kits for over 15 years, including a set up to slam GM's 1 ton dualies and Dodge 3500's. Probably could offer a direction to go. Paul

http://www.ridetech.com/store/

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Thanks guys for the encouragement. After speaking with my fab guy, the first thougt is to take out enough leafs, to the point that they aren't strong enough to support the truck, but leave some (be it 1, 2, 4, 5, whatever) to use to continue to locate the front and rear components. Then use 10,000lb air bags to actually support the truck and raise and lower the truck. Seems logical, in theory. lol