Jumping Ship *Long Post*

j_martell

a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do

Hope it works out well for you

not much goes on in winter up there,besides the frozen loads

Year round here, although I expect to get shut down for a few weeks in Jan,/feb time

Good Luck

• Like 1

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

My pop taught me early that a man does what is best for him and his family. Year round work and not being pulled all ways at once will benefit you and your family in the long run. Good Luck!! Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Good luck with the new job. I too work construction it's very seasonal depending on the year. I've been really slow the past couple weeks and am tired of having half the year slow period while the bosses vacation in the Florida Keys. I've been looking into other jobs and figure a bit of a pay cut and work steady with overtime pay. I think you've got the right idea.

• Like 1

Thanks for the back up BAD DOG....I keep getting grief from some people about loosing 10$/hr, but I won't need to make a ton if I can consistently get hours. Today is a perfect example, at work for 10hrs, but only got paid for 7...waiting for something to do....I am really looking forward to getting to work everyday.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

Yeah I hear you. I go to work a lot of mornings with a Tim Hortons coffee in one hand a lunch pail in the other only to go home and eat my lunch. Or wait around the shop till 10 o'clock when someone calls and needed salt or stone yesterday. It gets to be a long winter and spring. And it doesn't take long to get yourself on the wrong side of the eight ball being their yo yo, but it's sure tough trying to get caught up in the summer. I figured out the other day with my hours I worked like a fool this summer , floating driving tri axle locally on tar and chip during the day and getting sent to Toronto for tar at noon and working late into the night or doing the tar during the early morning and then working local all day, all my overtime if I got overtime after 40 like a normal job would my income would have been $10,000 more than it is that pays the rent on the house the boss rents in the keys for one month. Not saying he doesn't deserve a winter vacation but, they cry the blues in the summer when they can't find good drivers in the busy season and when things drop off they kick everyone to the curb.

• Like 1

Good luck, IM pondering a change too, my problem is I have a good steady job now but I hate the corporate b.s. I go thru spells where Im gonna be gone in a month and others where I think I can make it work, in the end Im sure Ill end up back in a truck its what I always wanted to do and Im a lot happier trucking than beating my head against a wall.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Good luck, IM pondering a change too, my problem is I have a good steady job now but I hate the corporate b.s. I go thru spells where Im gonna be gone in a month and others where I think I can make it work, in the end Im sure Ill end up back in a truck its what I always wanted to do and Im a lot happier trucking than beating my head against a wall.

So....i should STOP doing that......OHHHHH....much better lol

Haven't even driven my truck since Monday morning.....been doing bitch yard work all week....cleaning up after morons who can't put shit where it goes...just lump it on skids cause "its someone elses problem".....:@

I did NOT get my licence to keep doing manual labour…

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

j martell: Here,s my .02 worth In my younger days I thought like you, about being in the truck and putting the education to work, then I realized most employers treat drivers like crap. so I started to notice the guys that always worked are the ones that could and would do what ever needs done! then after rethinking what I would do I couldn't hardly get a day off any time!

• Like 1

My two cents, if I had to work like hell for 6-8 months a year and make good money and know when I am going to have some time off I would rather do that than work 6 to 7 days a week 10-12 hours a day and never know or only get 1 to 2 weeks off. I would budget it for the lean months and park my camper next to the boss's in the Florida Keys.

My in-laws did that every year and my wife went to school starting in Kindergarten from Thanksgiving to Easter in Florida, they lived at Sunshine Key mile marker 39.

Or find you could always find a corporate job. When my wife retires from her Job I want to do that to, make the annual migration to warm winter days.

You can be poor anywhere why not be WARM!

• Like 2

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."