12 spd or fuller 13 spd?

ws721

Found a Mack 12 speed for sale. Have been told that drivers either love them or hate them. I have never driven one. Truck has E9 and is a road tractor that doesn't haul heavy. I have also heard that 12 speed parts are scarce. What do you folks suggest?

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

mate there are gear box's and theres gear box's I have never heard of it been hard to get parts for a Mack 12 speed and if we can get them here in Australia Im sure you can get them over there easier to drive than a 13 speed roadranger and a lot tougher I no what I would prefer 12 speed every time seeya

Paul

• Like 1

LOL. OK OK. You guys sold me. Yes its for the Cruiseliner and yes its 1 stick. By the way, I had a gentlemen call me who claims he use to own a 2 stick Cruiseliner. How could that be possible?

how much cold weather work do you do with that unit?

how much reverse work/ speed do you do?

for me if doing a lot of severe winter work I would go 13 speed (cuz you always have a gear) if the air shift screws up murphys law says never in a good place!

if you find your self pushing trailers as much as pulling them then the 12 speed is a gift from GOD!

from a mechanics stand point the 12 speed is more of a bear to work with being triangular shaped and 3 piece. I will build adaptor plates for the trans jack because I don't like the thought of that big bastard on top of me! (don't trust the OTC arms)

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input! Im the only driver, its a summer truck. I have an 85 MH for the winter time. ! question I forgot to ask. What is the overdrive ratio of a 12 spd? Do they make different overdrives?

If you like the sound of grinding gears and vibrations go with the 12 spd

Good friend of mine bought them new in dump trucks from when they came out until a few years ago.All the ones I've driven shifted like a hot knife through butter,never an ounce of problems with any of them.(minimal drivers and well maintained)Never any vibrations either,just like a six speed but twice as good :twothumbsup: .

• Like 1

LOL. OK OK. You guys sold me. Yes its for the Cruiseliner and yes its 1 stick. By the way, I had a gentlemen call me who claims he use to own a 2 stick Cruiseliner. How could that be possible?

When Terry Manders was here last year picking up some trucks,he told me years ago they built a Cruiseliner glider and used a Duplex in it.He said it took alot of modifying,but they did do it once.

• Like 1

Logtruckman,

The keywork in your response is 'kid'.

I will admit I got used to driving a 12 speed after a while but I learned to drive with a 18 spd fuller . I learned you have to shift a 12 speed nice and slow with alot of finesse. My dad ordered his 89 superliner with a 12 spd and hated it 4 yrs later he put a 18 spd in it

• 2 weeks later...

I have never seen a one stick 12 speed how did that work, I had a guy tell me he had a 12 speed in a r model once but it was a one stick 10 speed that shifted like a super ten. If you like a deep reduction and a close ratio with a overdrive I would go with a 15 speed fuller.