Cool Old School Custom LJ

Thanks,Mark & Joe D.. It definitely was the way they ran 'em like that, with the tag axle. I remember seeing a fleet from out east (I think) that also had a daycab LJ with same grille,hood,fender arrangement as this on it. It said "Mr. Mack" across the push plate on the front. It might have been in "Wheels of Time" or "Double Clutch" where I seen it. I use to get ready to look for the truck every time we went by his place,south of Green Bay. We would normally be headed south on the way back from our vacation in the U.P. of Mich. on a Sunday. The truck/trailer was always washed up,hooked up,and ready to leave as we drove by! Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

That's the one,Jim! Talked to Gene Olson today and he didn't remember the truck off hand. I will have to send him the pics. I bet he'll know who the guy was when he sees the truck!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

The company was M & J Trucking based in Bridgeport, CT. It was founded by Marie and Joseph Cavalleri and at one point were running 40 Macks and 76 trailers all company owned.

The article said that they had terminals in Wheatland and New Castle, PA as well as Bridgeport and their operating territory was New England to Illinois to Virginia.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Thanks for the info,Jim. I remember some of their older Macks being in TnT magazine a few years later as they were selling them off. Maybe after they closed their doors.

Back in the early 50s my father seen a LJ sleeper in Florida a week later he went back to Florida to find the dealer ship closed after a week of searching he found it and drove it home to the chicken farm in Water town Conn. He like it so much he bought 2 day cabs and1 more with a sleeper .Well the fist one is still working to this day retiring in the late 80s after pulling dump trailer and low bed now it carry's 550 gal tank around for dust control it has Cummings with rotary fuel pump duplex and 3 different rear ends 45 65 112 mph. Tietz trucking bought from dad in 60s he from Woodbury Conn. Then he bought the b- model that i am sitting in the picture.

Ed

I wish I had thought to take a picture of it back then,but I used to see a factory sleeper LJ come into the Vineland,NJ produce market in the middle/late seventies. What made the truck stick in my mind,was it had a "shark nose" painted on the hood like a P-40 Warhawk,I do remember it was Cummins powered,pulled an older Brown bellymount reefer,if memory serves,the owner-operator was from Florida,Starke (I think).................................Mark

post-5836-0-03150100-1392675588_thumb.jp

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.