Dodge big horn

mack mhe9

Had to see if I still had this pic.

Ran in to this dodge in NJ years ago. I would say it was early 2000's This fellow ran out of MS.

The hood was not a factory set up it was like the plastic on the roof of a trailer, they made a frame and rolled over the frame and screwed it down. I gave him a 100 for creativity. Just couldn't be leave it could make it through the scales in VA.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I just wish I had taken more pics. It was quite the feat in engineering.

WOW!Mind if I post it on Facebook?

Friend has a '68 D100 since the late 70's. We hauled a lot of stuff in that truck and the cabs are pretty roomy(Or maybe I was just really small back then?). Had a slant Tic and 3spd on the column. Hydraulic clutch that gave him nothing but fits for years.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I've seen the red Bighorn in person a couple times. It's on the Dodge front part of the chassis, if I remember right the rear is a Freightliner Airliner rear clip. It has a Kenworth bunk the cab I'd rusty doors are really bad. I think the fuel tanks and battery boxes are Freightliner that's why it looks like its on a Freightliner chassis. It's got a 350 or 400 big cam Cummins. It's not very original and I don't really think it's worth $38,000. I've seen better ones .

I had forgotten all about this truck! this guy used to park at the 76 (T/A now) in Paulsboro,NJ my Dad set him up with a few loads of produce out of Vineland,NJ! IIRC,this thing was Cummins powered,believe it or not that hood was made from two pete 377? hoods? I have often wondered what happened to this truck,nice guy that ran it too! A real study in backyard engineering!...............................Mark

post-5836-0-83835200-1389920673.jpg

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Nope,semi-home made Dodge,have seen it in person.BUT, Sicard did use the Dodge cab as well as the IH-Diamond T/Reo "Comfo-vision" cabs too,and also GMC cabs (I think).......................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I've been around lcf's and fwd's which all basically use the same cab which i thought was from the 58 dodge pick up line. I've always considered the d cabs the pick ups. It's not quite right but its how I separate them. Thanks

Bigdogtrucker go ahead and post away. Thanks

Yes I think 58 was the first year and ran until 75 - one of the longer running truck cabs. I think the large D series would actually be considered a medium heavy model, although they were available in tandems and semi tractors. For some reason Dodge did not make a heavy duty conventional, they only had the heavy low cab forward, where Ford and GM sold a lot more heavy conventionals and not as many LCF's. Dodge also sold more LCF medium duty trucks which was unusual.

I can only remember seeing one D series tandem, a 1967 model. It had the black vinyl roof that was seen on Dodge pickups of the time.

Here is a later D.

http://www.usedtruck...s.php?MID=47121

I know Mexico and other countries made some cool dodge trucks. They realy liked the 72 and later d800 style

post-2708-0-33451100-1389961503.jpg

post-2708-0-82243100-1389961525.jpg

I my self always wondered what happen to the blue dodge. The TA was was where I've seen it my self.i think every thing was home built even he sleeper, talked a few min to the owner but he was repairing something. But hey he was making a living with it.

There is a guy in Manitoba has some bighorns for sale, has anyone had any experience bringing an antique truck from Canada to US? Will have my passport, Title and Bill of sale. Will be on a tractor and 53 ft trailer, any advice would be helpful. Be a month or so. Thanks