starting to regret buyin my super

so, started Christmas day the head gasket blew, took it to the shop, they finally got it in last night... so im already pretty hot about that, then today I go to see progress and I see catastrophy... fire rings are wore out of BOTH heads and there is 2 liners that are wore out where the head sits too, mechanic says all the liners should be replaced @ $200 a piece, and rings @ $160 a piece and 2 heads @ $1300 a piece.... what now? I was told it had a fresh overhaul 60000 miles ago, should I try to find a new engine? and where? or can I get used heads? again, where? help please.

THE MILKMAN DID IT.....

As stated above as long as the crank and cam is good I would do an in frame rebuild, I've always used reman heads with no problem but you do have to give them a good core.1300 a head is for what, new with no core, it's been a while but that number sounds crazy!!

something amuck here 60,000 since in frame and fire rings are gone? also liners /head worn? is eng deck screwed? were heads not properly torqued? did they not resurface or replace heads at overhaul? id contact last owner and ask for some receipts so you can figure out what happened ,because if you cant put your finger on the problem you best get that truck to a trusted, warrantable shop or your wallet might get lighter yet

that's my .02 worth

I'd do an infrme on it then you know what you have. Nothing wrong with remaned heads,$1300 sounds about right for price for them. If the rest of the truck is good and you run it on a daily basis you should be able to justify the cost of rebuilding the motor.

Just curious, but everyone around here usually just takes their heads to the Napa machine shop, and they check them out and rework whatever they need for a few hundred bucks a piece. I haven't had to do it yet, but that's what I planned on doing. Is that a good idea? I've never heard of anybody having any trouble after going the machine shop route.

• Like 2

Jake

well, mechanic said all the bearings look good and so do the cylinder walls and pistons. thinkin ill just get 2 reman mack heads and replace the 2 sleeves that are bad and make sure theyre decked the same, and put all new head bolts in. also the exhaust manifold is cracked and since I came this far to make it run I might as well go a lil deeper into the pocket to make it pull (mostly wanna eventually walk around my dads 550 cat) do they make aftermarket exhaust manifold and turbo set? and injectors? thanks.

THE MILKMAN DID IT.....

Jake break 86 I've done the machine shop route with Mack heads before too as long as your machine shop has the cutter to cut the fire rings it can be done for about a 1/4 of the price of Mack remaned heads and your heads haven't been machined too much before. The last E9 I inframed about 8 or 9 years ago I priced remaned heads from Mack and Northwest Truck and both were around. $1500 per head x 4 heads so I took them to a Machine shop locally that I had faith in and he checked them all out 1 was like new so he ground the valves and seats and the other 3 needed some guides and some valves replaced. I think I only had about $1800 in redoing all 4 and they worked fine so if you have a good set of heads to redo I wouldn't be afraid of going that rout either. I just wouldn't slap an old set of used heads on a fresh in frame like he's been talking about without having them checked out at the machine shop first. If he has to buy a couple used heads in order to redo them remand ones might be the way to go.

• Like 1

Yeah Whitegold if you'll get the last laugh in the end because your Mack is better on fuel than that 550 Cat plus it way cheaper easier and more reliable and if you treat it right and look after it it will be around long after that 550 Cat is history.

I agree with the inframe idea, you would be good for along while after that. I'd get reman heads, then call Antrim diesel for a set of injectors and turbo. Antrim supposedly has an E7 running 650hp 1900 ft lb at the wheels getting 6.5mpg.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

okay, well I want it done right, I haul milk so reliability is needed. in frame it is. so do they make a different exhaust manifold? mine has a 3 piece on it now, are they problems? its cracked right where it y into the turbo on the block side.

I agree with the inframe idea, you would be good for along while after that. I'd get reman heads, then call Antrim diesel for a set of injectors and turbo. Antrim supposedly has an E7 running 650hp 1900 ft lb at the wheels getting 6.5mpg.

antrim diesel in greencastle pa? I was getting 5.5mpg and considerin I run the hydrolics most the day, and start and stop about 100 times a day I thought that was alright. just want a few more ponies is all.

also I posted awhile ago about putting an 18 speed in it, kinda getting held off for a lil now cuz of low funds :whistling: but when I do, what model should I get, do they all have the same overdrive? thanks

THE MILKMAN DID IT.....

I hear ya' Mike! I run a pretty steady 70-72 Mph when able to do so,and the same 4-5 trucks will pass me 5-6 times a day! but then I pretty much just keep the right door closed and truck!!!!!!..................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

No after market manifold that I know of. You could get a new one and have jet coated or any other coating. Mack 18's are pretty much the same there are some different rev. ratio models. And if dress up a mack and a W9 I bet more people will ask a out the mack.

okay, thanks for answerin my question on manifold and transmission. oh im sure they will, I dressed it up some already, just not done yet so didn't post pictures yet.

THE MILKMAN DID IT.....

No after market manifold that I know of. You could get a new one and have jet coated or any other coating. Mack 18's are pretty much the same there are some different rev. ratio models. And if dress up a mack and a W9 I bet more people will ask a out the mack.

okay, thanks for answerin my question on manifold and transmission. oh im sure they will, I dressed it up some already, just not done yet so didn't post pictures yet.

THE MILKMAN DID IT.....