starting to regret buyin my super

your better off with a single frame, then the salt wont raise havoc. we have a precast concrete company up here that had double frames on there trucks,now when they buy , its all single. too much rust jacking

• Like 1

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

Better off with single frame were they use road salt!Just noticed you have a 6 cylinder,thought that price was for a V8 overhaul!

ha yea. I just hope it lasts. was supposed to be overhauled when I got it.... but it was a very thrown together job. ill have to post pictures of the bearings sometime after 60000 miles

THE MILKMAN DID IT.....

Yeah an E9 would run you more than $11000 improbably close to double that if you had it done at a shop. And even an E9 is cheap to rebuild compared to any of the new engines today. My boss put more than $11000 in he W900L I drive putting a new oil cooler, rad, a bunch of sensors and cleaning the DPF. And it's still a piece of junk. Every 2 to 3 weeks the oil filter plugs up with soot and it looses oil pressure. I'd gladly put $1100 not an E7 and have something reliable. As for the frame single 3/8 rail is he way to go if you want it to last. Double frames tend to get rust between the rails and rust trough or split .

finally got to drive my truck again today. doesn't smoke as much as it did and responds better. glad its overhauled. cant wait to see what it does once broke in, just mostly was frusterated with 3 and a half weeks of it sittin in the shop

THE MILKMAN DID IT.....

Glad to hear you're back up and running again. 3 weeks for an inframe book time probably calls for 40 to 50 hrs for that but most of the time a good mechanic can do it in less time. But it's getting harder in this throw away world we live in to find guys to do that kind if work and care. Of coarse parts availability is sometimes an issue and you have to wait on something. And it doesn't matter if the truck is old or new. Hope it all works out and your old dog lives a long healthy prosperous life now.

so, finally got a call from the shop sayin its runnin again, took the truck there on the 27th of December and gonna go get it tomorrow, new heads, complete inframe and new exhaust manifold. $11626... that sound about right?

I am not up on current pricing...but in my former life as a field test engineer I estimated $10K for an inframe that included reman heads. So your price does not sound out of line.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I guess when I "reman" the race car motor and spend $5-7K for a "hobby", I suppose $11K for something that MAKES YOU MONEY isn't all that bad LOL!!

There again, I don't do much to the race car anymore. I run'r forever.............

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

• 3 weeks later...

back in 06 I had a 3406 b 425 rebuilt in tampa Cat in my western star cost me $16,000 .. then they built it as a 3406C not a B.. wrong rings and pistons and even wrong head valve settings it couldn't pull itself barely down the road took it back young fellow tried to put a computer to the motor when I asked him what he was doing he said looking for the plug in for the engine I told him to get the supervisor he come out and said they don't work on mechanical motors anymore just the electronic ones .. ended up costing me another week down in KY to have t rebuilt by Paducha cat they found the problems and fixed it but on the warranty dime this time

well I finally got it back and runnin daily again. had some... bumps along the way tho. after 3 days had an oil leak, turned out the valve cover gasket was deteriorated, guy blamed it on high egt, highest I seen was 1000 on a long hard pull, found out the intercooler had a bad leak that I almost didn't believe cuz I was makin 25lb boost, put new one in and now make 32lb boost and egt never gets avove 900 even on the same long hard pulls, and then it got its first wrecker ride since I owned it cuz the carrier bearing went out (which has since solved the bad shake between 55-60) and just spent $$$$ on new gummies, and they found a cracked rim.... $400 for a new stud piloted wheel, so I had them mount the cracked one and im gonna just watch it. and im sure I asked before but I cant find the post about changing to hub piloted, since I got all the wheels layin around,,, did mack chance the hubs? or could I get a set from a wrecked truck with mack 40000 rears even if its quite newer? thanks

p.s. after the frustration of spendin the money im really liking my mack again

THE MILKMAN DID IT.....

well I finally got it back and runnin daily again. had some... bumps along the way tho. after 3 days had an oil leak, turned out the valve cover gasket was deteriorated, guy blamed it on high egt, highest I seen was 1000 on a long hard pull, found out the intercooler had a bad leak that I almost didn't believe cuz I was makin 25lb boost, put new one in and now make 32lb boost and egt never gets avove 900 even on the same long hard pulls, and then it got its first wrecker ride since I owned it cuz the carrier bearing went out (which has since solved the bad shake between 55-60) and just spent $$$$ on new gummies, and they found a cracked rim.... $400 for a new stud piloted wheel, so I had them mount the cracked one and im gonna just watch it. and im sure I asked before but I cant find the post about changing to hub piloted, since I got all the wheels layin around,,, did mack chance the hubs? or could I get a set from a wrecked truck with mack 40000 rears even if its quite newer? thanks

p.s. after the frustration of spendin the money im really liking my mack again

I have 4 hubs off a 2000 rd, they are rated at 44000, Mack rears, I will have to get you a part #. They are hub pilot all you would need is the drums, maybe someone knows if they will work, just have to match the bearings up. 914 474-7383, my name is Dominick
  • Like 1