Twin-Sticks to No-Sticks HDT Article

• Like 1

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Is that a typo about splitting the shift to 4th on a 6 speed? I've asked that same question here and was told to not do it. I'm assuming he meant first gear?

He might be thinking of theorally version 2 stick 6 speed that had a hi and low. It was an overdrive trans if I recall. one reverse, 6 forward speeds, ....start in low 1, 2,3,4, shift to 4hi, 5

• Like 1

If it is a 6 speed 2 stick to start out on hard surfaces loaded start out in first in main and compound in direct. If in soft material or other bad conditions put main in direct and compound in low either first gear or reverse. It has 6 speeds forward and 5 reverse.There were some overdrive versions but all I ever saw or owned were direct in fifth.This trans was not designed to split gears like a du-plex,tri-plex or quadbox.You could shift gears in reverse while moving. It was a great trans but if you had 4.64 rear ratio it was a bit slow in direct drive version. Joe D.

• Like 1

I was going by memory, and after reading I am partially wrong, my truck is a 1980 what year is yours?

Here is what the manual says for the transmission, mine is the TRXL107, It says it is "impractical" to use Low in any gear other than 1st. When Bobtail I use it in Low with 2nd and then shift to High than 3,4,5.

When I first got the truck I tried starting out in Low 1st and High 1st and it wants to start bucking. I guess that is why I use Low 2 than high 2.

post-10018-0-30004800-1382533383_thumb.p

post-10018-0-18933100-1382533411_thumb.p

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Very interesting article. Ok ill have to throw in my pennies on the 6spd. Now dont know if this is "the right way" but it works with my dm. I can start in low 1,2,3,4,5 shift to high and main back to 4th and 5th. Now it might not be recommended shifting but it doesnt seem to "double" any ratio's and dont grind kick or buck. Have also shifted low 1,2,3,4,5 then shift to high tranny liked it fine but was too big of a ratio jump to be comfy

I was going by memory, and after reading I am partially wrong, my truck is a 1980 what year is yours?

Here is what the manual says for the transmission, mine is the TRXL107, It says it is "impractical" to use Low in any gear other than 1st. When Bobtail I use it in Low with 2nd and then shift to High than 3,4,5.

When I first got the truck I tried starting out in Low 1st and High 1st and it wants to start bucking. I guess that is why I use Low 2 than high 2.

{C7417D22-67D9-4642-9214-5137F408EB36}.png

{C7417D22-67D9-4642-9214-5137F408EB36a}.png

Interesting to see the manual. My truck is an 86 R. I'm mostly on city streets so starting in 1st direct is fine. I only use low in the mud or crawling out of a hole.

If you have a trans. PTO with the 6 speed you put the compound in neutral and use the main in any gear. I used second or third for dump work with the % rate of my PTO pump. If you use compound in low range until you shift to 5th gear there is a very large spread in speed. Joe D.

• Like 1

If you could run a slow truck race in reverse that low-1 combo would kill em, 36.66 that's low.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Yup, that be me. First time I tried to get the article it crashed out. Finally got it to load so I could read it.

They could have linked the two handed version also? More fitting to go with their pictures.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Yes, holy mackerel, Freightrain's an even bigger star now, millions of - well, wait a minute, it could be billions- of people have seen that video now...if they'd all send Larry just one measly dollar bill each, just think of the possibilities...by the way, I sent a dollar several years ago, hope it didn't get lost in the mail.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Good article! nice to see someones opinion that's not "all the old trucks were terrible" for a change! todays drivers couldn't handle a B-Model (or anything else with two sticks) which is a shame,because the ability to drive two sticks is a lost and dying art! .........................................Mark

• Like 2

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Good article! nice to see someones opinion that's not "all the old trucks were terrible" for a change! todays drivers couldn't handle a B-Model (or anything else with two sticks) which is a shame,because the ability to drive two sticks is a lost and dying art! .........................................Mark

On Friday I helped Doug move some new Macks (6 if I remember correctly) for display at Trucktoberfest. All of them were AUTO!

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I drove the 2 stick 6 spd 1 & 2 in low the low to direct I the compound & then 3 4 5 in the main .

When I had the pto engaged & was raising a dump bed I was no higher than 3rd gear in the main.

There were a few times the 5 reverse gears came in handy to get into soft ground w/ a load .

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude: