Adding oil to 2-Strokes (no not a joke....serious question...!)

OK all you 2-strokers out there. Had a question posed to me the other day. Apparently with all these new fangled low-sulfer fuels out there, people have been adding oils to 2-stroke fuel. The person posing the question said that he heard everything from ATF, to 30W or 40W oil, to true 2-stroke oil (I would giggle my ass off....) to 10W-30....The purpose of course is to lubricate the parts in older engines that benefited from the lubricating qualities of older diesel.

Has anyone heard of doing this, and if so, what do you use and how much??

Ben? Tim? Anyone else???

Also, on a side note- if Yarnall comes in here telling some fairy tale about how I supposedly said last saturday that I would buy this firetruck (that we were discussing) for $2000 just to get the freshly rebuilt 8V71N alone (nevermind the rest of the truck) he must have been delirious that day- it was awfully sunny and hot and he didn't have a hat on and he didn't look like he was properly hydrating himself. Just thought everyone should know.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Hello!

For little two-stroke gasoline engines, that powered small cars and bikes, we always used a 50/50 mix of gasoline and oil called Mixol. But Last year in winter my mechanic tried to tell me I should add a little Mixol to the diesel fuel my van burns, in order for the injectors to work smoother. I even did it for a short time, then stopped, as I didn't notice any difference. Wouldn't want to try it on an engine with some more electronic or a supercharger, though. Have a nice day

Paweł

Stanadyne Performance Formula fuel additive - I add it to all my Diesel fueled engines. Stanadyne products are hard to find. I buy mine from an online provider.

Power Service is a good second source and is easily found at places like Wally World.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

FWD, hope you didn't think you could mention fire truck and not elaborate a little....or at least throw in a picture!!!!

Can't you read? It's a fairy tale- it never happened. A figment of Yarnall's imagination.

But if it really did happen, it might have been a Pemfab/Hamerly heavy rescue ex-Reading Pa & ex-Wilkes Barre Pa. that was sitting at Micro Fire Apparatus in Allentown Pa. Wasn't in too bad of shape either, not as much rot as one would have thought. Had a freshly rebuilt 8V71 and HT740. Went to the Schuykill County Fire Museum for what is reported to be a steal. But that's if it actually happened and not a figment of Yarnall's imagination.

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

I have about 10-12 gallons of fuel in my General right now with a quart of ATF to help lube everything since the truck was sitting. One of the drivers that come into the dealership next to me uses a gallon of 10w14 in each tank when he fills up. He has a series 60 Detroit.

if you are talking engine oil it is what the manufacture recommend 15w-40, 30w etc... As far as additives for the ULSD fuel then that is what ever you believe, I also use the power service with cetane boost in my pickup, tractors, and the Mack's.

Hello!

For little two-stroke gasoline engines, that powered small cars and bikes, we always used a 50/50 mix of gasoline and oil called Mixol. But Last year in winter my mechanic tried to tell me I should add a little Mixol to the diesel fuel my van burns, in order for the injectors to work smoother. I even did it for a short time, then stopped, as I didn't notice any difference. Wouldn't want to try it on an engine with some more electronic or a supercharger, though. Have a nice day

Paweł

This article also address the 2 cycle oil, http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/ford/0911dp_fuel_additive_test/viewall.html

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Never use anything in the crankcase of a 2-cycle Detroit other then a stright oil (30 wt or 40 wt) or a maybe a 20 wt in temps below 15 deg! I use a product called Lucas Upper Cylinder Lub in all of my older trucks even my 1988 R-600 with a E-6 350 That FPPF is real good stuff also, esp. if you have water in your fuel tank, that stuff boils it right out

BULLHUSK

PS Lookin to retro my Lawn Boy with a V-6-53 for my 6AM Sunday morning lawn cuttttSS

Never use anything in the crankcase of a 2-cycle Detroit other then a stright oil (30 wt or 40 wt) or a maybe a 20 wt in temps below 15 deg! I use a product called Lucas Upper Cylinder Lub in all of my older trucks even my 1988 R-600 with a E-6 350 That FPPF is real good stuff also, esp. if you have water in your fuel tank, that stuff boils it right out

BULLHUSK

PS Lookin to retro my Lawn Boy with a V-6-53 for my 6AM Sunday morning lawn cuttttSS

yeah good idea for the lwn boy but then you will need a tractor cause you ain't gonna be able to push it ! lol

Makniac , collector and customizer of die-cast model in 1/50th scale

I put the occasional Power Service in my tank a few times a year. I've heard of the used oil routine, but never did it personally. I think most used to do it just to get rid of it more then help the engine.

I used to run Power Service in my dually all winter to help with jell'n. Kept a gallon jug in the bed and splashed some in the tank every fill up.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I havent seen white fuel yet its usually green.

Water white is the term used by fuel refiners (same as clear). Most on-highway ULSD is almost clear (pale yellow). Green or red fuel signifies "off-highway" "non-taxed" fuel.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

BULLHUSK

Agreed.... Never use 15W40.. even if there is a label on the engine saying so...

Detroit rescinded the bulletin approving it (I have it somewhere at work).... went back to straight 40 or 30 depending on ambient temp, and it must be CF-2 low ash...

however....... and there is always one of these..... I have spoken to operators of coaches, 8V92's, who still use 15W40 as it is easier and cheaper to buy in bulk, but they realise the oil breaks down quicker and therefore have halved the mileage between oil changes.

your mileage may vary..!!!

BC Mack

owner of three green leakers..!!!