Adding oil to 2-Strokes (no not a joke....serious question...!)

I was told straight 40w and when I called NAPA to get some since no other parts store had straight 40 Rotela the parts guy said "what do you have, a Detroit"? - pretty funny.

Just an FYI- you can usually get straight 40W in one gallon bottle cases (three per case) cheaper through oil distributors that sell retail from their warehouses. Also sometimes I get mine from Penn Detroit Diesel/Allison in Philly so if you have a DD/A shop near you check there too.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Agreed.... Never use 15W40.. even if there is a label on the engine saying so...

Detroit rescinded the bulletin approving it (I have it somewhere at work).... went back to straight 40 or 30 depending on ambient temp, and it must be CF-2 low ash...

however....... and there is always one of these..... I have spoken to operators of coaches, 8V92's, who still use 15W40 as it is easier and cheaper to buy in bulk, but they realise the oil breaks down quicker and therefore have halved the mileage between oil changes.

your mileage may vary..!!!

BC Mack

owner of three green leakers..!!!

JT

found the reference..

http://brandon314.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/detroitdiesel_lube-oil-fuel-requirements.pdf

section 3.2... high temp shear, IIRC, the 15w40 was taking out pistons in the ring area...

Chevron have a Delo100.... Walmart up here in Canuck land have a 30wt, but we do live in igloos..right? mine's melting right now.. :twothumbsup:

BC Mack

Why put oil in a Detroit? Its just gonna leak back out!

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Oh and I use power service or Lucas fuel additive in my diesels every other fill up.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"