New job

Lmackattack

Last Friday I ended my 13 year career in auto racing. It was a hard choice but lack of time home in the summer and poor wages vs time invested made it clear it was time to move on if an agreement could not be meet. After a few weeks back and fourth an no head way made I gave notice. Kinda sad how it all went down but it is what it is.. I am now working full time with the Tanzillo family. They do some excavating and lots of low boy work. My main job is driving truck #35. 400 with an 8LL on 44k air ride. She does pretty good for a small truck. Easy to get around town in and no big blind spots. Feel right at home in the old R model.

b72c255d72538873319da0c3942a64ca_zps69bc

3abb6283249669bab16719956f540c5c_zps9b0f

• Like 1

There's a co here in Jersey by the name of Vollers that had an RD Tri axel just like that one, they used to haul there PC-600 as well as all kinds of big stuff with her!! Some of these other guys would have these great big RW's and Large car Petes an K/W's But Voller's would do the same job with the RD

BULLHUSK

Good luck in the new adventure. and make sure your weights are good if you cross any Il scales. Those bastards don't play and it is pay on the spot. Heavy haul following distance has a whole new meaning. It is fun an adventure and pace yourself esp with the heat. It is a killer.

That RD looks great pulling a lowboy, and its pretty rare to see an all aluminum wheel/tank truck with dual exhaust like that, the E7 400/8LL is a great combo too, I think you got a good one it should pull whatever you need to pull under 1650rpm they are luggers.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

There's a co here in Jersey by the name of Vollers that had an RD Tri axel just like that one, they used to haul there PC-600 as well as all kinds of big stuff with her!! Some of these other guys would have these great big RW's and Large car Petes an K/W's But Voller's would do the same job with the RD

BULLHUSK

That RD Vollers had was very heavy. It had 58 rears in her. Probably was a 400 but geared right. Give me an RD any day.

Cheers, Rob

Good luck on the new job, and thats a good looking unit! Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Small truck compared to that big bunk you used to drive. Kinda like drive a Geo metro compared to your last plastic fantastic. Sorry to hear it had to end, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Good luck with your new endeavor.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

BULLHUSK

Vollers Rd also had 65k rears and 20 front on 12x24 rubber. I think they had or have two of them. They have some big iron!

Vollers Rd also had 65k rears and 20 front on 12x24 rubber. I think they had or have two of them. They have some big iron!

Oh I knew it was at least 58's and they had dual stacks. I worked for Vollers twice a few years ago.

Congratulations. Sounds like you are adjusting to married life real well and want to be home more. What race team did you drive for?

Denny

330-550-6020

A "Mack Pack" Charter Member

Congratulations. Sounds like you are adjusting to married life real well and want to be home more. What race team did you drive for?

Yep married life is going as planned. And yes lack of home time or time off was becoming a big issue for me.

I worked for Carl Haas auto imports, Carl was co owner of Newman/Haas racing. Both companies are in the same building in Lincolnshire IL. We raced and sold cart,champcar and indy cars depending on the year.

I was hired to drive the Haas auto truck but over my 13 years there I found myself also pulling the race cars to the tracks all over north America. At our prime we had 5 semi trucks, 5 featherlight transport trailers, 1 straight truck,1 hot shot with a 40' 3 axel trailer.

I drove them all, when I worked race events I would do the sign board on the front straight, rebuild dampers, sell parts... I did it all. Newman haas racing did not compete the last 2 years as newmans death and carls poor health kinda put a hurt on finding sponsorship for the race team. NHR layed off about 20 people last year and many left on their own after they saw the writing on the wall. Today there is 5 people left on the shop floor. There were 40 in their prime.

Carl haas auto imports has been gaining work as we were always selling parts and looking for new business. We have 5 people plus some shared accounting staff.

It was fun but the pay,home time and time invested were worlds apart. As I said...it's just an end of an era.