Autocars

RFCDrum

Yep. Took pictures of it a while ago then saw it on the for sale board at Macungie last year. Was in portland

Portland, Maine?

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Figures! I'm going to South Portland Maine on Wednesday.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I take the ferry with the car to New London, cheaper than the tolls through NYC and saves me a ton of miles.

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 2 months later...

The Autocar wrecker hooked onto the old coupe race car a long time ago.

THAT has to have one cool story behind how it was parked!!

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 4 weeks later...

Brocky,

It was actually belonged to the town of Maine ( ten miles from Binghamton). It was never set up for plowing, it was their asphalt hauler and load chaser when all the other trucks were mounted up with the plow equipment. As a result it has relatively low amount of rust. Although it is rusting in some funny places, like behind the drivers head and undernieth the passengers windshield. The picture I put up is probably 5 years old, now she is starting to look a little shabbier. I just don't have the funds to throw at it that she deserves. I remember when I was 14 years old, the town of Maine replaced the old Brockways with a new set of Autocars. I thought they were the coolest trucks around, at least until I discovered the infamous B model Mack! I told myself someday I would own one of those trucks. Little did I know that twenty years later the opportunity would present itself. I have had to do a few things to it over the years. When I first purchased the truck I put in a new floor in the box, replace the rear springs, and installed a new compressor. In 2006 I had to put in a steering box as the original one simply locked up while I was working on our church. Fortunately that happened there in the church parking lot and not going down the road at 50 mph. Recently, I had to put in a rebuilt PT series injection pump. I talked to a local diesel rebuilder and they told me it was going to cost me 800.00 to rebuild my old pump. They said that my old pump was probably suffering from sitting too much. Anyway, I could not find an exact match to the CPL (Cummins parts list) However, I went to Johns Garage in Bainbridge and they had rebuilt pumps sitting on the shelf. One was set up almost identical to mine. I installed it and the truck has completely changed character. She was always kind of lazy, but with the new pump she snaps to attention at just a tickle of the throttle. It turns out the pump is calibrated for 350 horsepower. I know some people will tell me that I am going to burn a hole in a piston, but I don't run her in long up hill pulls enough to over heat the pistons. The engine does have oil squirters for the pistons. When you stab the throttle she doesn't blow an excessive amount of black smoke either. And now the old Autocar is actually fun to drive. If I get the time and money I will incorporate the other parts and tuning to match the 350 pump, but for now I will just have run the old girl. On the issue of the rear axle, I am going on what someone, who owns one of her sisters, tells me. I should verify it. I apologize for writing a book, and boring people. Regards, Job41

• Like 2

Job 41

Thanks for all the great info.. As Red Horse said it is all history.. Know where the Town of Maine is.. Grew up outside Ithaca on Town of Caroline Brockways thus my interest in plow trucks. Would love to have one down here to scare the S##t out of these rebels who think a dusting is a total blizzard!!!

• Like 1

Brocky

Brocky,

That would be cool to see. I went to college at North Carolina State University in Raliegh. And yes, the southerners are not adept at handling snow. They don't know what a northern snow plow rig looks like. The single axle versions are falling by the way side and now the municipalities are purchasing tandem axle rigs. By the way, I did put my truck on Craig's list a year ago, as funds have been in very short supply. All I got were low ball offers. One guy offered me a Chinese made 4 wheeler in trade. The only cash offer I got was 1800.00, so I figured for that kind of money I would keep the old girl. If it were a Mack I would be offered three times as much. There is still more to add to the story, but that will have to be a later post. Regards - Job41

• 7 months later...