The water wagon:

WOW gorgeous truck! Glad you got your hands on it! May Roy R.I.P... Hope you make some new memories in it as well. Take you take some side shots i really want to see the door lettering!

Tom

I want to ensure the family is alright with me leaving the lettering in place before I go any kind of public with it. It is nice artwork and hand painted.

Thanks for your support.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Very, very nice, More like a 1 or 2 year old unit! What type chassis? Looks like aluminum in the shot around the V8. I had an Autocar with an aluminum chassis. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Have looked photos with an interest.

It's good that you posted many of them cause I haven't a lot of chances to look good water piping, pump e t.c.

I noted also the front frame end of a straight kind as you have spoken about Western R's.

V8 requires no comments.

I think you probably need to apply some amount of polish wax to make up a shine of paint.

Or is it painted matt?

And you haven't post the door art work you described :idunno:

Congrats with a new toy!

Vlad

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Very nice. Is that a KW mud flap I see?

Hi Carl, yes they are KW mudflaps. I have vintage Mack flaps to replace these so if anybody can use them speak up. These are not in real good shape and I don't know if they are reusable or not. The flap hangers will be replaced with new also.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Have looked photos with an interest.

It's good that you posted many of them cause I haven't a lot of chances to look good water piping, pump e t.c.

I noted also the front frame end of a straight kind as you have spoken about Western R's.

V8 requires no comments.

I think you probably need to apply some amount of polish wax to make up a shine of paint.

Or is it painted matt?

And you haven't post the door art work you described :idunno:

Congrats with a new toy!

Vlad

Hi Vlad, the paint is fading from sun exposure. It was new in 2004 but the truck has not been operated since that time and has just set. I do plan to buff a shine, and then wax to preserve. It will be kept inside the building however. The piping under the truck is mostly semi rigid hoses with the exception of the weldments you can see in the photos. I'll grab more photos if there is interest.

The door art will become visible after I receive authorization to allow it to remain. Most will think it nothing special but it's well done and hand painted.

Rob

Very, very nice, More like a 1 or 2 year old unit! What type chassis? Looks like aluminum in the shot around the V8. I had an Autocar with an aluminum chassis. Paul

The "RL" series of trucks used aluminum frames. This one is not cut, stretched, or altered from as built and must have been long originally. From my understanding the truck used log bunks for a number of years before being converted to the tanker role which it only served in for a few short months. It has been setting since 2004.

Rob

First thing i checked when i got home just now,congrats on the "new" truck Rob! you know my feelings on the western R's (yet another one thats NOT in my driveway!) sure looks to be in nice sound shape,its getting hard to find the RL-700L emblems in any shape these days. I like the idea of preserving its history,personally the only thing i would do is maybe put an Able-Body or Rest-Rite on it........other than that, i like i just the way it is and glad its gone to a good home!...........Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

The "RL" series of trucks used aluminum frames. This one is not cut, stretched, or altered from as built and must have been long originally. From my understanding the truck used log bunks for a number of years before being converted to the tanker role which it only served in for a few short months. It has been setting since 2004.

Rob

Rob

That is a terrific looking 'Western' and looks to be in beautiful condition. You took some great pictures of it too.

I love the RL/RS700 Macks and would argue that they are the best looking trucks Mack ever made. I doubt I'll ever own one myself but I made a scale model of one (the Rubber Duck ) and I'm working on another one on and off now.

I like to get things accurate and I got a lot of assistance from Lmackattack in the way of photo's. I don't think any Western R's in have found their way over to the UK so these photo's were pretty much my primary reference.

I've noticed that some of the higher horsepower models like the 797 had a taller radiator and I can't work out how it mounts into the frame. In a couple of your shots it looks as though there may be a crossmember directly behind it so I wonder if that's what holds it in?

The 6 cylinder models had a shorter radiator that sat on top of a crossmember that spanned the front spring hangers which is what I replicated in my duck model. I'd appreciate if you could explain how the taller radiator is mounted.

Congratulations on a great aquisition and I think it's a nice idea to keep it as it is in memory of it's previous owner.

Alastair

post-10557-0-40712000-1342732695_thumb.j

post-10557-0-00627200-1342732741_thumb.j

post-10557-0-95571000-1342732855_thumb.j

• Like 1

Rob

That is a terrific looking 'Western' and looks to be in beautiful condition. You took some great pictures of it too.

I love the RL/RS700 Macks and would argue that they are the best looking trucks Mack ever made. I doubt I'll ever own one myself but I made a scale model of one (the Rubber Duck ) and I'm working on another one on and off now.

I like to get things accurate and I got a lot of assistance from Lmackattack in the way of photo's. I don't think any Western R's in have found their way over to the UK so these photo's were pretty much my primary reference.

I've noticed that some of the higher horsepower models like the 797 had a taller radiator and I can't work out how it mounts into the frame. In a couple of your shots it looks as though there may be a crossmember directly behind it so I wonder if that's what holds it in?

The 6 cylinder models had a shorter radiator that sat on top of a crossmember that spanned the front spring hangers which is what I replicated in my duck model. I'd appreciate if you could explain how the taller radiator is mounted.

Congratulations on a great aquisition and I think it's a nice idea to keep it as it is in memory of it's previous owner.

Alastair

Alastair: I'll be glad to shoot you a few photos of the radiator mounting arrangement. They have "wings" that either bolt, or weld to the sides of the radiator frame and then these "wings" bolt to the truck frame. The bolts are a little difficult to get to but I'll get a couple of photos from underneath also. All three of my "Western 700's" use this same mounting arrangement and the crossbars up on the top tanks.

Thanks,

Rob

First thing i checked when i got home just now,congrats on the "new" truck Rob! you know my feelings on the western R's (yet another one thats NOT in my driveway!) sure looks to be in nice sound shape,its getting hard to find the RL-700L emblems in any shape these days. I like the idea of preserving its history,personally the only thing i would do is maybe put an Able-Body or Rest-Rite on it........other than that, i like i just the way it is and glad its gone to a good home!...........Mark

Mark, thanks and you know how I feel about these 700 "Western" trucks. I guess I can't have enough? I have a 42" "Rest-Rite" here that I've slated for one of these RL's and Mike Harbison has an Abel Body sitting here that I may acquire if he's decided he doesn't need it. Both are in pretty good condition on the outside and the interiors need rebuilt.

I can't believe the condition of this truck and I really mean that. I want to drive it to the shows next summer, and at least one west coast large show as to allow the former owner's family a chance to view it again in it's new role. I do plan to put this one to work however. It may be just filling swimming pools or such, but I'm certain it will earn it's keep if only beauty in the eye of the beholder. The KW sleeper really does fit the lines of the truck acceptable but who knows?

Rob

The door art will become visible after I receive authorization to allow it to remain. Most will think it nothing special but it's well done and hand painted.

Rob

H.H.Moore used to have all the trucks hand lettered, and the man that did it was good. Probably a lost art now, they print out and cut a decal on a computer and stick 'em on now

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Never see a Western where I am, never. I'd almost be tempted to leave the sleeper be. It does look "right" on it. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE