The water wagon:

That is a sweet looking unit there Rob. I got my own issuses right now. Think my trans is about to grenade. Just finished under a load and now looking at seeing what the out come is. Also blew a damn Airhose under the cab somewhere. To tired and pissed to look for it.

H.H.Moore used to have all the trucks hand lettered, and the man that did it was good. Probably a lost art now, they print out and cut a decal on a computer and stick 'em on now

I've always liked hand lettering and the artistic ability I always lacked. I've ordered magnetic placards so I can remove them at shows for others to see the truck in it's original form if I'm authorized to leave it "as is". If not, I'll have my shop name painted on.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Beautiful truck. It couldn't have gone to a better home.

I really appreciate that comment right there. I've always liked these trucks even more than the first generation Superliners. So easy to see out of and the close quarter manipulating is easy due to a sharp wheel cut. The seating position has always been comfortable too.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Never see a Western where I am, never. I'd almost be tempted to leave the sleeper be. It does look "right" on it. Paul

I'm probably going to leave the sleeper on it. The window opening for the sleeper, and the sliding back window of the cab are very close in elevation. I'm sure if I remove the back window of the cab and install a boot, a thin person would be able to climb through, (I can't) but at least the two would be interconnected.

Rob

I've always liked hand lettering and the artistic ability I always lacked. I've ordered magnetic placards so I can remove them at shows for others to see the truck in it's original form if I'm authorized to leave it "as is". If not, I'll have my shop name painted on.

Rob

I can't find a really good example, but this is a hand lettered unit, a 1984 K100. This fellow had all his paints laid out, always had a cigarette dangling out of his mouth, and used a baton like thing in his left hand to steady his writing hand with. Did some nice pinstriping too.

Yes, that is me in the picture.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Lookin good. The only things missing are the stories we'll never hear of you driving it home.

Prolly hear about the one driving to Lititz instead.

In hindsight I'm glad I didn't attempt to drive it back from NV. There is one flat tire on the inside rt. front dual, a couple of tires are weather checking, (minor at this point), the headlights did not come on and are still intermittent, the cab lamps are inop until you hit a "bump", and several air and fuel lines are needing attention. It has a couple of "Stratoflex" lines seeping and I'll get these built up and replaced. Nothing major at all but the truck has been sitting since 2004 and time does take it's toll.

I got both upper and the lower radiator hoses, radiator caps, (two), heater hose, bulk 2/0 battery cable and ends, box of filters including transmission air filter, and a kit to rebuild the air shift mechanism(s) as reverse is a little slow in operation. Also went ahead and grabbed two new group 31 top post batteries, (950CCA) for kicks. All these items are minor maintenance items but long overdue.

Rob

Beautiful truck, good luck with it.

I can't believe the shape the cab is in, must be one of those special "rust free Macks" they didn't make many!!

Ron

Man you got that right. "Go West Young Man" has been my calling of recent for rust free sheet metal.

Rob

I can't find a really good example, but this is a hand lettered unit, a 1984 K100. This fellow had all his paints laid out, always had a cigarette dangling out of his mouth, and used a baton like thing in his left hand to steady his writing hand with. Did some nice pinstriping too.

Yes, that is me in the picture.

I know about the baton and the perforated wheel to make the patterns etc. Lost art. I ran around with a guy when younger who's dad was an excellent sign man. My buddy was almost but not quite as good due to age. The art died in the early 1980's as the computer graphics got started.

Rob

Rob that is one sweet looking ride there is a guy down here who is now a retired art teacher who lettered truck doors for my dad and others for close to forty years I hope to get him to letter mine when I get them ready

There is a guy here long retired I hope to do my trucks at the time needed also. Lost art sometimes.

Rob

If anyone is looking for a sign painter that still does the work free hand ask around at any antique fire truck show. Most of us want original looking gold leaf and lettering on our rigs so we know who is still doing that kind of work.

I have a great guy in Richmond if anyone has a need around here.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Alastair: I'll be glad to shoot you a few photos of the radiator mounting arrangement. They have "wings" that either bolt, or weld to the sides of the radiator frame and then these "wings" bolt to the truck frame. The bolts are a little difficult to get to but I'll get a couple of photos from underneath also. All three of my "Western 700's" use this same mounting arrangement and the crossbars up on the top tanks.

Thanks,

Rob

Rob,

That would be really great if you could get some photos. It would be really appreciated as it is so hard to find reference material on these trucks. I'm guessing what looks like the crossmember behind holds the front end of the motor?

Many Thanks,

Alastair

Rob,

That would be really great if you could get some photos. It would be really appreciated as it is so hard to find reference material on these trucks. I'm guessing what looks like the crossmember behind holds the front end of the motor?

Many Thanks,

Alastair

You are correct with the crossmember. These are aluminum in the RL series trucks also.

Rob

You are correct with the crossmember. These are aluminum in the RL series trucks also.

Rob

Would the RS series use the same aluminum crossmember? I always assumed the only difference between RL and RS was the frame rails being ali or steel but that standard crossmembers could be specified as either ali or steel on both models with castings such as motor or radiator mounts being aluminium on both.

Alastair

Looks like something had a home in the suction pump area. Mabe rob got a new critter running around... lol

I noticed that too.

Wonderful, now these creatures that were once found only in Nevada have gained a foothold in central Illinois.

In a year or 2 they'll be over here in Virginia.

Great...

• Like 1

I noticed that too.

Wonderful, now these creatures that were once found only in Nevada have gained a foothold in central Illinois.

In a year or 2 they'll be over here in Virginia.

Great...

They're closer than you think. I'm certain I saw something that looked like that at a WalMart in West Virginia, and it wasn't in the pet department.

Jim

Would the RS series use the same aluminum crossmember? I always assumed the only difference between RL and RS was the frame rails being ali or steel but that standard crossmembers could be specified as either ali or steel on both models with castings such as motor or radiator mounts being aluminium on both.

Alastair

It depends. The serial number for one of my RL's is RL797LST19001 for example. The R means an R series truck. The L following the R denotes the aluminum frame. The 7 denotes the long hood version. The number 97 is the engine identifier for the ENDT866 engine, and the L folling the engine code denotes lightweight components including aluminum engine support, most brackets and mounting ears, wheel hubs, and spring hangers. There is probably more but I'm not certain. My RS 797 has a steel engine crossmember up front but still has some aluminum parts also. These could be replacements for broken originals and I have no history on the truck. It is a rolling chassis only.

Rob

They're closer than you think. I'm certain I saw something that looked like that at a WalMart in West Virginia, and it wasn't in the pet department.

dammit! West Virginia, eh? That means they'll be here by tomorrow afternoon.

dammit! West Virginia, eh? That means they'll be here by tomorrow afternoon.

Watch your pillow.

Rob

Only had a little time to mess witht this truck this week. Haven't even moved it since parking on Monday evening. I'm finding and correcting minor things along the way such as the cab marker lamps. Their inoperation was attributed to a defective power wire splice up under the headliner. It was an easy repair once the headliner was removed. This truck does not have an overhead console so went quickly. Was also able to get the PTO to slide into gear but did not spin it as the water pump on the chassis is dry. The pump is new and it says in the placard "Do not run pump dry". It is a "Gorman-Rupp" centrifugal pump and they are not cheap. I will be converting the manual shift PTO over to air shift if the cover is available. I have four new "Chelsea" air shift PTO kits in their boxes awaiting usage. I was also able to get a new fitting to replace one snapped off for the rt. front sprayer nozzle. This was for an air line to enable to nozzle to open and they are spring shut cutting off water spray.

Starting to visualize how this truck was set up to operate. It appears the truck can be filled either with the suction pump, from a hydrant, another truck with a hose, and of course a water station with an overhead hose. By opening one valve, and closing another allows a source of water supply to fill the tank, but not charge the plumbing system. After the tank is full, you change the position of these two valves, the fill is closed, and the inlet to the pump is open. There is another valve behind the sleeper that when open, returns pump pressure to tank, and when closed charges the discharge nozzels and piping. I have the manufacturers paperwork and owner's manual for the pump by have not read it yet to see if the pump is self reliefing, or it just cavitates when it can't flow anymore liquid.

Figured out the tag axle is a Neway and it's air down, spring up. It will need brakes, and drums badly. The left side shoes are fractured from being so hot and the drums have a massive groove about 7/16 deep and 1/2 wide. There is no way the damage wil turn out. The other brakes look adequate in lining thickness, but the drums have a deep ridge in them so probably need them also. None of this is a hassle. I always put new brakes on something I'm going to operate for my own safety, as well as others. Have to get it apart first to ascertain what is needed.

Rob

Since the tank was just used for water, it probably has an open vent of some sort on it somewhere,eh? I was just thinking of a picture I saw of a new stainless steel tanker that the sides had collapsed on because the driver forgot to open the vent when he was unloading.