Bidenomics

RowdyRebel

4 hours ago, 1958 F.W.D. said:

Have been a volunteer and career firefighter/EMT for 33 years. I have seen enough that I have absolutely zero desire to ever ride. 

I am pretty sure I have been to more fatal motorcycle accidents than I have non-fatal ones. 

That's amazing, yet not surprising 

I remember reading or hearing somewhere many years ago

If motor bikes were invented today they would be most likely made illegal as the are so dangerous 

Not at all suggesting that's my opinion, but there definitely is not a lot of crumple zone on.a motor bike 

I remember going to see the Crusty Demons  years ago, while the stunts were spectacular to watch and left my jaw firmly planted on the ground watching them

I couldn't help but wonder how they do survive, I fall of a truck tray or trip over something on the ground and I can be hobbeling about for a week as a result

Yet these blokes are spinning about in the air and not always landing as planned, surely some of their landings have to really hurt, very good to watch though

Paul

4 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

That's sweet..  I like the seat set up, and the rear wheel..  and the color...  Jojo

All stock.  The Custom has a 200 tire and polished rim.  All other softails have a 150 tire.

It was black originally.  I wanted some House of Color blue pearl, etc.  But that was going to be costly.  This cost me $30!

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

55 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

All stock.  The Custom has a 200 tire and polished rim.  All other softails have a 150 tire.

It was black originally.  I wanted some House of Color blue pearl, etc.  But that was going to be costly.  This cost me $30!

Looks pretty darn nice for 30 bucks,did u paint it ?

Freightrain said:          All stock.  The Custom has a 200 tire and polished rim.  All other softails have a 150 tire.  

I just looked at mine,,, it's a 160.  I bought it from a guy who worked at our local Harley Dealer..  He put a lot of $$ in it..  Stock engine though..  

13 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

I believe that electric cars would be good for city folks.  It would certainly clean the air that settles in the streets.  But for me and many others who use vehicles for work,  I say,,,  Heck No!!  I wish the Gov. Would stop jamming junk down my/ our throat(s)...  

Exactly. The "range" of these electric trucks is reduced by 50-75% when you hook up a trailer or put any decent load in the bed. On my family vacation out to Colorado pulling that 30' camper, the old Suburban may have only been getting 5.6 mpg on the way out (climbing to 7000 feet) & 6.5 mpg coming back (coasting back down to 400 feet)...but I could refuel that 40 gallon tank to 100% in less than 10 minutes and be ready to roll again. An electric level 3 "fast charge" will take about 30 minutes to get to 80%. So, stops take 3x as long (IF you can find fast-chargers that work) and only take you 4/5 as far. I also had a pair of 5 gallon cans and another 4 gallons in the generator's fuel tank "just in case", since it was our 1st trip with the camper and we weren't sure what the range would be. Had the generator to run the TV, AC, microwave, etc...on our overnight stops on the way there & back since we were just parking in the RV spaces at truck stops. Turns out the weather was nice enough we didn't use it. Suppose we could've used it to charge an electric truck...but then passers-by would've been taking pics to make into memes...we'd be internet-famous for all of the wrong reasons.

Nah, you can keep your electric vehicles. I commute too far for one to be of any use, and the funny thing is, when you look at how much your electric bill goes UP vs the fuel savings not buying gas, it's a wash. When you factor in the price difference of the electric vs ICE, plus the electrical upgrades you have to make to your home in order to install a charger, you're in the red. Deep in the red.

It's a little like when I was hauling logs nearly 20 years ago. I was commuting 25 miles each way...50/day...in my '96 F250. 460cid/5sp/4wd got 10 mpg. When fuel shot up above $4/gallon, I looked into trading it in on a new diesel truck that'd get twice the fuel mileage. When I compared the fuel cost of my paid-for-in-full gas guzzler, vs the fuel cost plus payments for a new one, even though it'd go twice as far on a gallon of fuel, the breakeven point was STILL around 300,000 miles. It gets worse when you factor in the need for full coverage insurance (required with a loan) vs liability only. I just couldn't justify it. I was better off keeping what I already had and paying at the pump. Here it is 20 years later and I still haven't put but 100k additional miles on the F250. Granted, it's not my only vehicle...but the fact remains, after 20 years I'd still be in the red had I traded to save money on fuel.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

11 hours ago, 1958 F.W.D. said:

Have been a volunteer and career firefighter/EMT for 33 years. I have seen enough that I have absolutely zero desire to ever ride. 

I am pretty sure I have been to more fatal motorcycle accidents than I have non-fatal ones. 

I've been involved in more non-fatal motorcycle accidents than fatal ones. Just sayin'.🤷‍♂️

1st was within a week of getting my license. Brand new bike. Figured I'd wash it & get it all spiffed up. Used armorall on the sidewalls. Don't ever do that. Went down the block on my way to work, and when I went to make a right hand turn onto a fairly busy road, the rear end came around...did a 270 & ended up on its side. Oops.

2nd was later on that summer making a left at an intersection that wasn't quite perpendicular. I was leaned over making the sharp turn when a car stopped about 5' past the stop line. I hit the brakes, and the bike came out from under me. Lesson learned...don't hit the brakes when you're leaned over in a turn.

3rd was a few years later on my 2nd bike. Tires were bald & I had new ones to put on...but from the previous time I changed the tires, I knew breaking the beads was a PITA. So, I went to Lowes for some C-clamps. Pulled out of the parking space (2nd space from the store), turned towards the store...then at the end on the lane I made the turn in front of the store. When I rolled on the throttle, the rear end stepped out...steered into it, and it went the other way. Steered into it again, and it came back. Must've chopped the throttle at that point, because it tossed me high-side. Landed on my head & shoulder, breaking my collar bone.

4th was just a couple years ago on our way to the Toys 4 Tots Motorcycle Parade in Chicago. Roughly 6AM, 40 degrees and it had rained the night before. Was on the exit ramp from I55 north onto Lagrange Rd south...got kind of an "s" to it. Entering into the final curve, started rolling on the throttle to accelerate & merge and the back end came around. That was the scariest, because I had my wife on the back. We slid. Our leathers got scuffed. No injuries. I've since scrapped the oem dunlops and upgraded to michelins. MUCH better traction when it's wet and/or cold.

If you ride long enough, eventually you're probably going to go down. Luckily, none of mine have ever involved contact with another vehicle or object...just the road. #1-3 all happened within the 1st five years of riding. Then there was a 15 year gap before #4. Shit happens. Sure, you could live a long life avoiding anything dangerous or fun, and eating food that tastes nasty but is allegedly good for you...but what's the point in living a long life if you're miserable? I'd rather enjoy the time I've got on this Earth, even if it might be a little shorter.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

My '05 Road King a.k.a. My Mistress. Over the winter I replaced the 88 with a High Comp 95. The "facelift was courtesy of a doe that ran out in front of me 4 years & 6 days ago. She began life Arctic White. 

I always ride "with my head on a swivel".  Watching, watching, watching & anticipating.

312591481_1551088291980194_5352760807842609761_n.jpg

Homestead & Mistress 08-08-22.jpg

2005 with 47k 9500 obo.jpg

Mine too. 2006.. 9,000 miles on it..

Damn. My 1st bike was a new/leftover 1995 Suzuki GS500E (bought in '97) & put over 20k miles on it in 2 years. Traded it in (only vehicle I've ever owned that I don't still have) on a brand new 2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100. 2 years later, it had 27k. Then I got my CDL & it didn't get ridden near as much. It's currently sitting on 52,249. Harley is a 2006 sporty 1200 (wife bought it & brought it up with her from Texas...doesn't ever ride it, so I do) & has 45,132 on the clock. It'll get another 100 or so miles tomorrow.

11 minutes ago, RowdyRebel said:

Damn. My 1st bike was a new/leftover 1995 Suzuki GS500E (bought in '97) & put over 20k miles on it in 2 years. Traded it in (only vehicle I've ever owned that I don't still have) on a brand new 2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100. 2 years later, it had 27k. Then I got my CDL & it didn't get ridden near as much. It's currently sitting on 52,249. Harley is a 2006 sporty 1200 (wife bought it & brought it up with her from Texas...doesn't ever ride it, so I do) & has 45,132 on the clock. It'll get another 100 or so miles tomorrow.

My 1st bike was a 76 or 77 GS550. 2nd bike was a 79 GS750L.  I considered buying a 80 GS750 a few years back but I like the "L" (L stood for Low or Lower) better, King/Queen seat instead of a flat seat...

8 hours ago, RowdyRebel said:

Exactly. The "range" of these electric trucks is reduced by 50-75% when you hook up a trailer or put any decent load in the bed.

cold and hot reduce range too. when cold you loose around 25%, hot you lose around 20%

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

13 hours ago, MACKS said:

Looks pretty darn nice for 30 bucks,did u paint it ?

No.  Painter friend did.  He does high end cars and did a fabulous job.  I found paint code and handed tins to him.

The $30?   That was me buying a brand new Eldorado high back air ride seat that was on the junk/return table at Summit Racing many years ago.  It was a bit tall for the B but it was $30(still in plastic wrap).  Couldn't not buy it.  Step forward about 8 yrs and painter friend has dirt bike track and has an old Volvo water truck with a totally clapped out seat.  Traded that seat for a paint job.  One of the few times I actually made out on a deal.

• Like 2

Larry

Freightrain said:          All stock.  The Custom has a 200 tire and polished rim.  All other softails have a 150 tire.  

I just looked at mine,,, it's a 160.  I bought it from a guy who worked at our local Harley Dealer..  He put a lot of $$ in it..  Stock engine though..  

My friend has an 03 Anniversary Deuce.  It might have 160?  Been a few years since he's ridden it.

• Like 1

Larry

18 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

That's amazing, yet not surprising 

12 hours ago, RowdyRebel said:

I'd rather enjoy the time I've got on this Earth, even if it might be a little shorter.

Don't get me wrong, I would never discourage anyone from wanting a bike or to ride. I have many friends who do, including Firefighters. Many are surprised that I am not into bikes for as big a gearhead as I am. Two accidents that I went to as a Firefighter when I was 19 really left a sour taste in my mouth. Won't get into details but they were pretty gory. You do you, it's just not for me. I have my fun in other ways. 

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS