Well, shhhhh...oot!...Again

other dog

3 hours ago, mowerman said:

Bicycle pump????? we had a service station we used to be able to walk to and just a few minutes

Had one of those too. The old meter with the bell and hose hanging on it which is I remember correctly had some kind of valve the rolled hose opened and closed.

• Like 1

But yes, the air tower also had a bell well, the air was pumping ding. Ding ding aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh good old days. Seems nowadays you can get everything you want  gas station except air ha ha. back then all you could get was cigarettes and soda.

43 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Maybe that's how 7/11 stores came about..  open from 7pm. To 11am..

I think you may have that arseabout Joey..??

shouldn't It be 7.00am to 11.00pm...?

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

3 hours ago, mowerman said:

But yes, the air tower also had a bell well, the air was pumping ding. Ding ding aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh good old days. Seems nowadays you can get everything you want  gas station except air ha ha. back then all you could get was cigarettes and soda.

Don't forget the "rubber" machine in the men's room.

On 7/10/2023 at 7:04 AM, tjc transport said:

The air valve was on the hose hoop.

Remove the hose would turn the air on. Put coiled hose back on hoop and air would turn off.

And as younuns, we would ride our bikes around the pumps over the hose ringing the bell until someone inside Got mad enough to come out and chase us away.

And if you cranked the handle, the pressure would increase.  If you did, it would blow the inner tube.  I made that mistake one day.  Dad wasn't happy with me because I cranked it up as he was filling it and didn't know it.  Lol.

• Haha 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

44 minutes ago, The Rubber Duck 006 said:

I'm just old enuff to remember we had a Fleet Wing gas station that pumped your gas for you. 

you sure missed A LOT of good (simple) times. back when things were fun, not damaging .  

• Like 2

Yes fellas it seems like we were more happy in the 70s I was talking to a buddy of mine. I grew up with while back who runs a body shop he says you know I have to work harder now than I did in the 70s I said yes, we all do And Larry I watched somebody do that one time it wasn’t my bike or my tire. Somebody at the service station kept pumping air into their tire until it blew out. I don’t know when this kid thought he was going to quit pumping it was kind of funny to watch, but at the same time I felt sorry for him at 10 years old . ….   Bob

9 hours ago, mowerman said:

And TJ I completely forgot about that. You could set the bell off by running it over with a bicycle, but I think you could also step on it and it won’t go off

you had to jump on it to set it off by foot. 

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..