Well, shhhhh...oot!...Again

other dog

9 hours ago, Brocky said:

I think Nu Joisey had the last fuel people to fill your car or truck??? I think there was a state law against self service?????

yup, no self serve here. 

the nu yawkas keep trying to have it changed, and every time they put it to a vote, we say HELL NO!!!

their reasoning is "it will lower prices"   bullshevic!!!  our gas prices are lower than all surrounding states, except in the big money towns and commuter corridors. 

out on the highway 1/4 mile from me gas is $3.75 per gallon. 1 mile away on a local road commuters do not use it is $3.35 a gallon.

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

2 hours ago, tjc transport said:

you had to jump on it to set it off by foot. 

And you know this how? lol  l remember the Coke machine out front, put your change in and open the narrow vertical glass door. Grab your selection by the neck of the bottle and give it quick pull. Then open the bottle with the opener built into the door. The change you used came from cashing in the empty bottles you picked up along the roadside. Filling your bicycle's baskets as you peddled into town. 

And the gas pump that had the small glass bulb with the spinning wheel in it on the side.    .....Hippy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, navypoppop said:

NJ has the law to fill your gas tanks for you but no self serve. But if you are a semi you self serve your own truck at the truck stops. Double standard going on?

the diesel pumps are usually overlooked because they are away from the gas pumps in most stations, 

so no one complains when you self serve with diesel..
but technically, self serve diesel is not allowed here either.

1 hour ago, tjc transport said:

the diesel pumps are usually overlooked because they are away from the gas pumps in most stations, 

so no one complains when you self serve with diesel..
but technically, self serve diesel is not allowed here either.

I did not know it was still the law..

Brocky

17 hours ago, Brocky said:

I think Nu Joisey had the last fuel people to fill your car or truck??? I think there was a state law against self service?????

N J didn't allow self service for many yrs, not sure when it changed . I do my best to stay out of NJ. first solo driving route was NJ . 45ft /day cab . yrs before G P S also, had things called road maps.

17 hours ago, mowerman said:

Yes fellas it seems like we were more happy in the 70s I was talking to a buddy of mine. I grew up with while back who runs a body shop he says you know I have to work harder now than I did in the 70s I said yes, we all do And Larry I watched somebody do that one time it wasn’t my bike or my tire. Somebody at the service station kept pumping air into their tire until it blew out. I don’t know when this kid thought he was going to quit pumping it was kind of funny to watch, but at the same time I felt sorry for him at 10 years old . ….   Bob

think things "were more happy in the 70s" ;;; the 60's were a total blast :for the most part . never forget nov.22 1963 . majority of 60's were muscle cars/ music/ and driven movies .LOL AND B model Macks 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

N J didn't allow self service for many yrs, not sure when it changed . I do my best to stay out of NJ. first solo driving route was NJ . 45ft /day cab . yrs before G P S also, had things called road maps.

nope did not change. NJ is still no self serve. 
antiquated law from 1949, but every time it gets put to a vote to allow self serve, the great citizens all say hell no, we do not want to pump our gas. 
besides, it gives convicted felons and drug dealers jobs. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, other dog said:

Indeed, the 70s...

C.D. Brown and Sons Supermarket had the hose going to the gas pump that rang the bell inside too. It was a supermarket but they sold Amoco gas too. And they also had the air compressor that you turned the crank for whatever pressure you wanted. And it was free, all the time, unlike today where you have to put 4 quarters in the machine to get air. My parents got all our groceries there, usually spent about $20 some dollars, for a family of 6. It was a little small grocery store, by today's standards anyway, but they had everything you needed. The meat department was all the way in the back and they pretty much cut everything to order. I remember the hotdogs were in a big box, about like a shoebox, and they were loose. The bologna was in a huge roll that they would slice, there was no such thing as a pound package of hot dogs or bologna then. They had to slice a pound of bologna for you off that giant roll, and if you wanted a pound of hot dogs they would get 10 out of that box and wrap them up for you. They also had clothes, boots, hardware, fishing rods, lures, guns- anything you needed, they had. 

Tom

You forgot Model T spark plugs and fan belts, radiator hoses and other misc auto parts..

• Like 1

Brocky

On 7/12/2023 at 6:29 AM, 70mackMB said:

And you know this how? lol  l remember the Coke machine out front, put your change in and open the narrow vertical glass door. Grab your selection by the neck of the bottle and give it quick pull. Then open the bottle with the opener built into the door. The change you used came from cashing in the empty bottles you picked up along the roadside. Filling your bicycle's baskets as you peddled into town. 

And the gas pump that had the small glass bulb with the spinning wheel in it on the side.    .....Hippy

My uncle used to own a Jenny  station back there somewhere around 1968. He let me serve one of his customers I had to crank it one way to clear the numbers then  the other way to start the pump. I was pissing my pants at 12 years old. I have seen that spinning  circle but I don’t remember if my uncle had  that type. I do remember putting $6.75 and a Cadillac. I couldn’t believe how much this  car took…. Bob

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 4:54 PM, Brocky said:

Tom

You forgot Model T spark plugs and fan belts, radiator hoses and other misc auto parts..

You forgot to throw in the TV tube tester everybody used to have ha ha I know it’s a bit off the subject but it came to mind. Oh the good old days I sure miss them all though I blew a tire yesterday I had to go to loves in Winnemucca if any  of you fellas ever use them. These guys are very slow.. but I was sitting in the office waiting for the repair and I noticed they were selling batteries for 160 apiece big 12 V I thought that was a pretty fair deal for a road service outfit

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 1:55 PM, other dog said:

What was this post about?..oh, I remember now. I got some new tires on the truck. I didn't put 33s back on it, I went with 31s. 33s were around $190 apiece, these were 150-something. Still high though.

PXL_20230712_161421490.thumb.jpg.64d80dd51421881ee0a7dd5eda4d9d44.jpg

Tires are ridiculous these days blew a tire yesterday drove right into loves no service call tire was over $700

On 7/12/2023 at 5:10 AM, navypoppop said:

NJ has the law to fill your gas tanks for you but no self serve. But if you are a semi you self serve your own truck at the truck stops. Double standard going on?

Clearly officials have not kept up with the times professional truck drivers are very few nowadays that’s about all I’m gonna say ha ha you know the rest

On 7/13/2023 at 10:59 PM, mowerman said:

You forgot to throw in the TV tube tester everybody used to have ha ha I know it’s a bit off the subject but it came to mind. Oh the good old days I sure miss them all though I blew a tire yesterday I had to go to loves in Winnemucca if any  of you fellas ever use them. These guys are very slow.. but I was sitting in the office waiting for the repair and I noticed they were selling batteries for 160 apiece big 12 V I thought that was a pretty fair deal for a road service outfit

Yes, I just paid over $200 for an Interstate battery for the car.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

On 7/13/2023 at 11:02 PM, mowerman said:

Tires are ridiculous these days blew a tire yesterday drove right into loves no service call tire was over $700

If I had put the same size tires back on my pickup, they were almost $200 apiece. And they were "off brand" tires, not Cooper, or Goodyear or something. The ones I put on it were about $150 apiece. When I had the mud bog truck in the 90's I remember paying 150-something each for a set of 12.50- 38 Super Swampers. And I had a set of Q78 Super Swampers, a 36" tire, that were $148 apiece.

And the gas, I remember well when people would pull up to the pump and get a dollar or 2 dollars worth of gas. Now you spill a dollars worth just putting the nozzle in the gas hole.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

On 7/12/2023 at 12:07 PM, mechohaulic said:

think things "were more happy in the 70s" ;;; the 60's were a total blast :for the most part . never forget nov.22 1963 . majority of 60's were muscle cars/ music/ and driven movies .LOL AND B model Macks 

Almost missed this one. My pop  was taking me for a haircut. …..on that wierd day…… 1966 baby just a real swinging year for me also turned 10 lol … Bob

• Like 1