Automatics in Class 8 Trucks

Bullheaded

3 minutes ago, Mark T said:

It's over. At this point you couldn't hardly find a guy that can drive a truck with a manual transmission like an 18 speed in something with power who could drive something old with a Big Cam and an old 13 speed and keep it moving.

We should make them all test with a 6-71 and a 5&4 LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bullheaded said:

First truck I ever drove full time was a Ford LTS 8000 with an 8V53 and a 5&4

Lots of the Detroits used a Spicer of some form .   8516 was a popular one (or some variation of the 12 or 16 speed)

9 minutes ago, Mark T said:

Lots of the Detroits used a Spicer of some form .   8516 was a popular one (or some variation of the 12 or 16 speed)

They would totally lost on one of the 12 or 16 speed Spicers with two flipper valves and you had to go thru neutral on every shift. Pull it in neutral flip the air selector then put it back into the same gear!!!

In 1967 The truck I took my road test on in Syracuse NY was a 1953 Brockway 154 single axle with a flathead Continental, 5 speed main, and air shift 2 speed rear..

• Like 1

Brocky

this topic has to be in the top 10 of comical  . sitting here mentally going down memory lane. first truck to officially operate was the '57 Diamond-T Mack wrecker ; gas job 5speed electric 2 speed . road test was being handed a piece of paper with directions to a road call. first tow back was nervous for me. test for CDL  was with Diamond-t wrecker with B-model on hook .  short wheel base for sure.  towing and backing was by then a natural; except when being watched by inspector.  like shifting  a multi speed transmission  , moves and timing automatic motion: have you ever drove and shifted thinking about the moves . not easy. engine sound / revs tell you when it's right ; try watching the tach and shift !

1 hour ago, Bullheaded said:

We should make them all test with a 6-71 and a 5&4 LOL

I don't think I could even do that! I was spoiled by learning to drive on a International with a 1693 Cat and a 13 speed fuller transmission. The torque of that engine is addictive. 

Bullheaded...A good topic but as I see it, unfortunately driven by what some think of as the pure economics..between "autos are cheaper in long run vs clutches, u joints etc" and "I can't find experienced drivers to run my business".

But like so many here, how did we start?  Not at the top for sure.  In my case, I had an uncle that was a mason contractor.  He had an F-5 Ford dump-flathead and a non synchro 4 spd. I'm a 16 year old kid.  His lesson in "double clutching" was a two minute speech beside the truck! Two years later I'm off to college and my summer job was working for a contractor as a "driver/laborer/operator"-345 V8 Binder 5 and 2.- I drove it like it was a 10 speed.  After college I start my "career" and when I became a terminal manager, I remember guys coming in applying for driving jobs..just out of driving school with a class 1 license. My advice to them was always ..."do yourself a favor, get a job driving a straight truck.. get comfortable with a non synchro trans and get a feel for the road..do this before you start worrying about where the trailer was".   

Today?  As many have already stated..."have a license? "  case closed. and to compound the problem in Mass when a guy tests today for a license if road test is on an auto the license issued has an "auto only" restriction.  I imagine that is the case in a lot of states.

But if you think our world has a problem, look at the airlines!  The military was the feeder for pilots.  Today not the case-United I believe is about to start their own "training program".  Now THAT is scary.

• Like 1

Didn't the FMCSA make testing at the state DMVs with your buddy's truck and trailer "illegal" as of 1/1/2022? My understanding is that to get a CDL now you have to go to and graduate from a driving school. No exceptions. Is this correct? If so do they even teach shifting theory, manual transmissions, etc anymore at these schools? I know several years back in Pennsylvania they made the automatic restriction as well but that wasn't always the case. I know around 15 years or so ago you could take the test in an automatic but not have a restriction. 

I think the money men and fleet managers have spoken. Automatics are more profitable to operate in the long run. Either from less driveline abuse or driver recruitment/retention, or a combination of both. Otherwise truck companies would be building "shifter trucks". Probably have more opportunities at resale time when its time to turn the trucks over too. Any warm body with a pulse can get into a class 8 truck with automatic or automated manual and "get the job done", which I think was the main premise of this thread in the first place. I'm guessing the powers that be got what they wanted. 

new jersey started driving school a must have for CDL last july. 

we also have auto trans restriction. if you take the road test on manual trans, you can drive anything. if you take the road test on auto trans, you are only licensed for auto trans truck. 

before we sold the pete the boss asked me to run it over to a friends shop and move a machine for him. 

with three other company owners standing there i said "i cant do that. i have a class A license, that means i can only drive an automatic trans truck" and walked away from him. 

took him a minute to realize what i said and did before he came chasing after me cursing up a storm. the other guys were rolling on the ground laughing.   🤣

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

5 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Here in N.C. if you road test in an Auto truck, you only have a license for Auto trucks..  😞 what the hell happened??  

i think it has something to do with the fact a clutch pedal is the new antitheft device. 

• Haha 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Let's be honest, if someone takes the test in an auto, do you really want the behind you coming down a mountain in a manual? Provides they were able to get up the other side first?

We bought an auto mr688 last year, and for what the truck does, (volumetric concrete mixer) it's the right transmission for this application.  PTO can operate while in gear, so I can creep along and pour concrete at the same time.  

These same conversations I'm sure were had decades ago when manual transmission cars started going by the wayside in favor of automatics.

• Like 2

talked to a friend still working for Coke  in CT yesterday; company going to all automatics . doesn't think the new hires could drive a manual.  He's counting the days to leave it's gotten so bad  . after reading these post , can see why the major commotion at DMV when I turned in my CDL.  couldn't / wouldn't want to attempt getting a CDL today.

I still have my CDL.. But it is the interstate Excepted one, which says neither I or the truck I am operating can receive any compensation, and that I would need a physical to turn it back into a regular CDL.. And NO WAY could I pass the physical!!!

• Like 2

Brocky

19 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

talked to a friend still working for Coke  in CT yesterday; company going to all automatics . doesn't think the new hires could drive a manual.  He's counting the days to leave it's gotten so bad  . after reading these post , can see why the major commotion at DMV when I turned in my CDL.  couldn't / wouldn't want to attempt getting a CDL today.

That’s ridiculous,why would they issue a professional drivers license if u can’t use it to make money,I thought all cdl were under fed guidelines and individual states..