Automatics in Class 8 Trucks

Bullheaded

Fed writes laws, and states adopt it to the extent they want. Interstate commerce has to meet certain criteria, but individual states can operate however they want internally.  In New York they can run 80,000 on a triaxle, but can't have a lift axle switch in the cab.  PA triaxles can't exceed 73,280, state doesn't care where your lift axle switches are. CDLs are pretty much the same. Similar, but a few variations.

Lots of good stories of us all starting out. Good memories. I'll add to mine....I did first drive my father's friend's C500 Kenworth.

But when I got my first real full time job it was with that Ford LTS with the 5&4. I remember the day the owner called me. My friend used to work for him and had to quit so he recommended me since he knew I could drive that big C500.

Anyway, the gentleman that owned the Ford says on the phone "have you ever driven a 5&4 transmission?"

I replied no.

"Well you're just going to haul in the steel mill so you'll have all day to figure it out.. be here in the morning."

And that's all it was. And I really owe a ton of gratitude to Mr. Lenny McQueen for trusting me and giving me my start.

• Like 1