Looking at used Backhoes for the property!

fjh

So Guys ! I'm looking for a used Backhoe to work on my property here ! Seeing alot of hoes being traded in @ about 9000 hours ! Mostly CASE Some DEERE Few CATS! Want a 4X4 so looking a construction type machine with 4 in one and quick change buckets!

Is 9000 hrs the worn out number on hoes?

Appreciate Thoughts here! 

23 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

I feel like 9000  is worn out for a 'Ho',,,,  :)    jojo

Thanx for your input Joe! The deal here is everyone is asking around 40-50000 for these so don't know how to feel ! I got a couple of customers that have just traded theirs last year they were tring to beat the next tier emissions!If I  Had the cash at that point I would have saved them there tradin BS but weren't ready at that point! I would have got a Machine I would have had history on! Even if the hours were big! I would have felt safe cause I've had them work for me and knew they serviced shit!

Edited by fjh

Yeah,,,  I just had to pick a little bit, to stir up a laugh...   truth is...  I'm clueless..  I do know that you will make a smart choice..   I wish you luck on this one...  for what it's worth..  I own a Moffet Mounty,  that I bought from a customer...  they were going to scrap it..   I have had it for 11 years.  I used it today...  I knew the history, so to me the purchase was easy..    jojo

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mackey58 said:

Case are light what size like a case 580 or  a deere 410 not up on cat we run farm equipment  deere. 410 been nice 4in one bucket would be nice and a quick tatch with a couple buckets 

I feel like it’s next to impossible to beat a Case 580L or Super L. I think they are the pinnacle of bulletproof backhoe design before case construction became the Italian CNHi conglomerate. Prior to the L series Case had been building backhoes since probably the late 50s or early 1960s. 3.9 liter 4bt Cummins under the hood make them ultra reliable and by now they are fairly affordable. I think they will dig about 18’ deep with an extendahoe. Case has the best boom design IMO. It’s over center in the locked position so it’s much smoother going down the road and just traveling in general (probably not an issue for you if it’s just a farm machine). I worked for an outfit that had 4 of them doing water and sanitary sewer infrastructure work. A superC, SuperK 4x4, superL 4x4 and a superM 4x4. The L and K each had over 12,000 hours on them and were still strong tight machines. The M was fairly new when I worked there and the old superC was dead tired but still worked and mostly just ran a hoe ram. I don’t think CAT ever made a good backhoe in my opinion. To me their expertise always seemed to be excavators and crawler tractors. I know in the rest of the world JCB is insanely popular but I don’t know of any around me. I see 100 cases and probably 20 cats for every one JCB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mackey58 said:

I know my boss has a cat skid and nobody likes it light no ground clearance  but were talking combos 

Don't like skid steers wouldn't own one! To light for my intentions !Mini hoes are kind of in the same ball park too light! I need something i can move logs and dig  stumps  out with! as well as do the honey do stuff plant trees move rocks bla bla bla!

1 hour ago, 67RModel said:

I feel like it’s next to impossible to beat a Case 580L or Super L. I think they are the pinnacle of bulletproof backhoe design before case construction became the Italian CNHi conglomerate. Prior to the L series Case had been building backhoes since probably the late 50s or early 1960s. 3.9 liter 4bt Cummins under the hood make them ultra reliable and by now they are fairly affordable. I think they will dig about 18’ deep with an extendahoe. Case has the best boom design IMO. It’s over center in the locked position so it’s much smoother going down the road and just traveling in general (probably not an issue for you if it’s just a farm machine). I worked for an outfit that had 4 of them doing water and sanitary sewer infrastructure work. A superC, SuperK 4x4, superL 4x4 and a superM 4x4. The L and K each had over 12,000 hours on them and were still strong tight machines. The M was fairly new when I worked there and the old superC was dead tired but still worked and mostly just ran a hoe ram. I don’t think CAT ever made a good backhoe in my opinion. To me their expertise always seemed to be excavators and crawler tractors. I know in the rest of the world JCB is insanely popular but I don’t know of any around me. I see 100 cases and probably 20 cats for every one JCB.

Lot of Case Here!  John Deere  some CAT AND A little JBC! Latley bobcat is stepping up ! And of coarse the China and Korean  Stuff Dosan ect! Of Coarse the dealers snap up the machines and double the price ! Got to find a private sale some where! $40-50 grand for a 9000 hr machine that could have had a breaker attachment mounted to it for its whole life  don't excite me much!

Don’t know anything about them and can’t make much of a comment seems to me in most cases of people are ready to turn them in they probably been rode hard and put away wet all I got is if you’re not in a hurry I would try to buy one from a state sale probably best bet … good luck.. bob

On 8/15/2022 at 9:20 PM, Dirtymilkman said:

A great older machine are the ford's. But the Cases are the gold standard. 

For sure on triple nickel Fords.  Before Ford sold the business I had a friend who sold Deere construction.  He said once he lost a customer to Ford he never got them back.  Fords were lot of bang for the buck.

• Like 2

Back in the early 70's Cleveland brothers sold jcb backhoes and I had to work on them then all of a sudden cat brought out the loader backhoe and instantly the jcbs were gone. The cat equipment I worked on was far different than what they have today. The last job I worked at we had a cat wheel loader it was designed by committee poor excuse for a machine it got replaced by a case loader nice design. I looked at skid steers for my other job and ended up with case units they were simple and reliable units we had eight of them.

• Like 1

So I have located a 87 Case 580E extenda hoe only thing missing is a thumb ! 8000 hrs did these come with a thumb attachment or was the extenda hoe option an either or option for having a thumb! could you have both ! I could make a fixed thumb if need be! 

Anyone got experience with these units? 

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-heavy-equipment-machinery/parksville-qualicum-beach/1987-case-580e-backhoe/1629396829?undefined

Edited by fjh

well, we do not do much tree work. but the clamshell is excellent for concrete slabs from sidewalks or driveways. no need to break it into little chunks with the jackhammer to load with front bucket. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..