No Big Deal

other dog

...it's just a mailbox. That's what I would have told the person that knocked it off the pole and into the ditch today, if they had walked over and told me they had hit it.

We were sitting inside with the TV on this morning when we heard a loud noise. A funeral was going on at the little cemetary across the road, we just figured it was caused by something they were doing. It was. Somebody had hit the mailbox, knocking it completely off the post. 

I went out and pulled the rest of the board off the post with a crowbar, found a piece of board in the shed that was already cut, took 2 nails and 4 screws out there and had it fixed in about 5 minutes. I even waited until after the funeral to fix it.

That's the only thing about it that kind of pissed me off, that nobody said a word. They knocked it completely off, the board had three or four 16 or 20D nails in it, the post was solid, we heard it in the house- so you know they had to know they hit it.

Not a word.

mb29d.jpg.71787cd8826e39f55e0c968ded255433.jpg

mb2951.jpg.4a4bef2b994dc4c8e2a8c9eafea8616e.jpg

• Sad 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarite I put somewhat of a custom job together when I first bought  this place tricked out mailbox within a week some assclown mowed it down flat wasn’t even usable every thing busted so I replaced it with the ugliest box I could find 16 years later and they can’t be bothered with this one… bob

• Like 1

I took a load of steel to a bridge job in northern VA. one time, DC area. They had the left lane of the street blocked off with orange cones- I pulled in behind the cones to get unloaded, the crane was on the street below. 

Rush hour traffic in the morning, this guy on a Harley rides by with his left foot sticking out and knocks over every single cone. The guy at the job site said "this a$$ hole does it every morning. Every morning - one of these days I'm going to fill one of them with concrete and see how he likes that". Great idea, but I doubt that he actually ever did it.

• Like 1

When you turn off my rural road you are on a secondary highway. There is some guy on that highway, I don't know if he is just trying to get payouts or lawsuits or what? But EVERY winter he parks a car right on the white line of the shoulder. Nothing all summer, only winter. They are usually black Chrysler 300's, but this last winter it was a 90's Mustang.

It's entertaining watching the plows bury those cars all winter. This spring when the giant snow bank finally melted, every panel on that Mustang was caved in and all the glass was exploded out of it, LOL

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, other dog said:

I took a load of steel to a bridge job in northern VA. one time, DC area. They had the left lane of the street blocked off with orange cones- I pulled in behind the cones to get unloaded, the crane was on the street below. 

Rush hour traffic in the morning, this guy on a Harley rides by with his left foot sticking out and knocks over every single cone. The guy at the job site said "this a$$ hole does it every morning. Every morning - one of these days I'm going to fill one of them with concrete and see how he likes that". Great idea, but I doubt that he actually ever did it.

about 20 years ago a friend got pulled over and handed a $1,500 ticket for knocking over a traffic cone. cop said he purposely swerved into it. 
Al went to court and explained to the judge he swerved to avoid a car that cut into his lane and that he would never purposely hit a cone, because he owned a construction company and had seen the effects of idiots in the closed lane. 
the judge dismissed the charges. 

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

The main enemy to them around here is the road grader or the occasional cow that gets out and thinks its a scratching post. 30ft combine headers can hit them too but that's usually my fault and no one else's. 

Also my goodness its green over there! It already looks like its winter here with the grass all being brown already. 

• Like 1

I got home last summer to see my box mangled up and the post swung around at a 45* angle to the road.  I was like WTF???  I was pissed.  The school busses drive thru my yard to cut the corner so I figured as such.

I get around to the back of the house and find a new mailbox sitting by the door and a note from the mailman apologizing for doing it.  Seems he forgot to close the door before pulling away and it spun the pole around.

I tried manually turning that pipe. Nope. I had to get the Mack out and put a chain on it to swivel it back straight.  Then a new board to attach the new box.  Looks like it never got hit.

Still waiting to put some 2x4s in the yard with 16 penny spikes to flatten the tires on those damn school busses.  The grass grows back all summer, then it's all tore up for the rest of school time.  MFrs.  I put some metal fence stakes up around the corner and the next day they were bent into the ground by the first bus.

Edited by Freightrain
  • Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Years ago my brother and his buddy liked to go steal road signs and hit mail boxes one guy kept putting his up and somone would smash it again well one day he put a oak 6x6 in with a steel pipe on top for the box so no one could smash it . Well not to back down from a challenge my brother and his buddy cut the post off with a chain saw took it home cut f**k you in the pipe with a torch and flattened it with my dad's cat 955 then through it back in the guys yard did I mention my brother was an a hole lol

• Haha 1

If your going to be a bear be a grizzly

Here in my 'Hood'..  my mailbox stays put,  it can spin if hit..   We just have 'Drive by shootings' Like the one last monday..   20 rounds were fired..  anyway, just lookin for a laugh..   Jojo

• Like 1

It's Funny how this happen's..  I just saw on the local news in my town... Mailbox bashing spree with baseball bats is on the rise..  I may need to put that spare 1/2 sheet of 1/4" steel sitting behind my shop, to some good use..  :)  Maybe make a spare mail box, just in-case...  jojo

On 7/31/2022 at 9:39 PM, Mark T said:

Isn't that some kind of federal offense ?

Must be, this gummint agent showed up here immediately after it happened. She even said "i'm from the gummint, and i'm here to help!..help- any way I can"

So I said "I ain't falling for your stupid B.S, now git on 'way from h'yeah!"

And she said "fine then!" Then she looked at the evidence, took some pictures, and said "this is terrible- do you want to press charges against the evil-doers?"

And I said "nah, it's just a mail box- now beat it".

ga29_InPixio.thumb.jpg.5ba7cff5e671624abd781f2810764472.jpg

ga29_InPixio2.thumb.jpg.4094259398f816df0db2736ed45ae34a.jpg 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, other dog said:

Must be, this gummint agent showed up here immediately after it happened. She even said "i'm from the gummint, and i'm here to help!..help- any way I can"

So I said "I ain't falling for your stupid B.S, now git on 'way from h'yeah!"

And she said "fine then!" Then she looked at the evidence, took some pictures, and said "this is terrible- do you want to press charges against the evil-doers?"

And I said "nah, it's just a mail box- now beat it".

ga29_InPixio.thumb.jpg.5ba7cff5e671624abd781f2810764472.jpg

ga29_InPixio2.thumb.jpg.4094259398f816df0db2736ed45ae34a.jpg 

You did the right thing. 

• Haha 2