What is with the Canadian stretch on the bogie's I have seen that before on the R models and My truck driver friend said they ride rough but that LM in the first picture is super awesome some of the LM had offset cab and some did not never understood why

• Like 1

Would those Super Single tyres on the Labbat's Trailer have been an Unusual Spec back in the day...?? or not..!

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

The truck in the 1st picture is definitely a LM. Heavy series L They were either made with center or offset cab. Many had 707 Mack EY gasser. Or different brand diesels.

The matter of Canadian spread 60 inch bogie is better weight distribution I belive which allows carrying larger loads. I suggest though our Canadian members may share more detailed explanations on that.

Thanks for posting these cool pictures!

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

didn't  think there were any trucks still there. I looked at the LM way back in the day when they were still in operation.   Dick Kemp  in NH  also had (at least) one when i was there ;; had to be back early '70's. 

4 hours ago, blackdog2 said:

Scott Suzio has 1 at his shop in Meriden Conn. gasser park outside on Gold street off Broad st

darn i was just  in that area Friday  ; heck of a good Polish deli off broad street. 

On 6/13/2022 at 12:16 PM, D-Day said:

What is with the Canadian stretch on the bogie's I have seen that before on the R models and My truck driver friend said they ride rough but that LM in the first picture is super awesome some of the LM had offset cab and some did not never understood why

I have asked this question before, and pretty much as Vald said and I think there's also better traction on off road conditions, or maybe a better ride 

There was a fairly famous Superliner in Australia than ran Adelaide to Darwin for many many years that had this wide spread camel back, it was doing road train work and there was a 1000 km of dirt each way, I reckon it did this for at least 20 years, 1 week each way

Spread might not of been as wide as the Canadian type but was wider than a normal 44 ass end used in Australia 

Paul

4 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

didn't  think there were any trucks still there. I looked at the LM way back in the day when they were still in operation.   Dick Kemp  in NH  also had (at least) one when i was there ;; had to be back early '70's. 

darn i was just  in that area Friday  ; heck of a good Polish deli off broad street. 

Filiapeck's on Elm or Czepigua on Cooper ? last road before Berlin tpk on rt-5

• Like 1

Ed

Thanks for all the info everyone. Now I can answer your Canadian spread questions. Those beer trucks, and many still today, run a 72 inch axle spread. It allowed us to carry and extra ton or so. And yes, they ride rougher, burn tires off and hop like crazy in sand.

Most common here is the 60 inch spread.

But now we have this S.P.I.F. law so a 55 or 60 inch spread is the same but you still get more with 72 inch. For example my last dump truck had what Western Star (Air Liner suspension) called a 59 inch spread with my steering lift axle was legal for 36,000 KG gross whereas if I had 72 inch spread it would be 37,100 or something like that? Now that I'm retired from trucking I don't remember exact numbers. LOL

Unless you were ton/miling or trying to gross right out like the beer trucks......the 55 to 60 inch spread performed better and was easier on the rigging.

As for the super singles on trailers, yes there was a time where they got popular here. The MTO started allowing close to the same weight on them as duals so many companies made the switch. Manufacturers claimed better fuel economy.

I liked them off road on dump/pony/log trailers because no chance of getting rocks stuck between duals and blowing sidewalls.

Bad was if you didn't carry a spare and you get a flat, you are not limping it to town. Also tried them on a pony dump trailer behind the dump truck, but in winter that pony was wagging like my bulldogs tail. So went back to duals.

Not to mention you can also buy the set of duals for the same price as one 425/445 series super single.

• Like 2

Back in the days of these beer truck pictures, that was the job to have. They had a LOT of pride in their fleets, always had fancy paint jobs (Labatt's actually held a patent on that shade of gold) and notice they were all day cabs. Because the drivers never slept in the trucks. They got motel rooms every night.

Here in Ontario Western Star was the preferred choice for the beer companies. I don't know why but they sure liked Stars.

Then around 2009? Labatt's started buying International Lonestar's. Some drivers liked them, some missed the Star's.

Now they are all mostly Prostar (now LT's) painted one single plain color. I think Molson and Labatt's are both blue trucks now last I noticed.

Same thing here in the United States ,, beer trucks  used to be very cool seems they’ve all farmed out there work to  agents and Mecho 10-4 on the deli,s we could never have enough of them Reno has a lot of good restaurants not many delis…. Bob

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bullheaded said:

Back in the days of these beer truck pictures, that was the job to have. They had a LOT of pride in their fleets, always had fancy paint jobs (Labatt's actually held a patent on that shade of gold) and notice they were all day cabs. Because the drivers never slept in the trucks. They got motel rooms every night.

Here in Ontario Western Star was the preferred choice for the beer companies. I don't know why but they sure liked Stars.

Then around 2009? Labatt's started buying International Lonestar's. Some drivers liked them, some missed the Star's.

Now they are all mostly Prostar (now LT's) painted one single plain color. I think Molson and Labatt's are both blue trucks now last I noticed.

seems to be another sign of today's times; "back in the day" many fleets had color coded fleets and pride.i see more and more companies  (on east coast any how) buying and using trucks of any color they get. F&F concrete have a few trucks going back to blue and orange. Bozzuto's fleet of light blue are a mixed bag now. etc. 

V F Jeanswear Logistics / Wrangler Blue Jeans trucking fleet went all White in the late 90's from the Blue and Gold scheme that Dale Earnhart's race team publicity department designed and made famous.

Brocky