Steering Wheel

The wheels I have are all pretty badly cracked, and I don't want to mortgage my house to get one recast. If anyone has a decent one they'll sell please let me know. Otherwise I guess I'll have to putty it up and paint it. If you have any tips on fixing the cracks, please post them.

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo man good luck with that i got lucky and got one mint condition out of a oakland california fire engine a friend of mine was parting out...but its brown im just going to change interior color to match it..... i repaired one in a VW bus years ago i used fiberglass resin...worked out real well...lets face it ,you would probably have to be the luckiest guy alive to find a good one...but good luck..bob

• Like 1

I was on the lookout for Replacement steering wheels a while back, like 10 years ago. I did get a new Black one from Charmers back then, it was the smaller diameter wheel so I had a little more room for the Belly in a B cab.

I don't know if this wheel will have the correct spline but it certainly is worth a call to ask. I have posted this website before, prices and availability seem OK. Looks like they have both large and small diameter.

https://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/stwhform35an.html

$142.00 each

1230448239_MSteeringWheel.jpeg.8a03f46b76bb08a48fac745a213eb27f.jpeg

• Like 1

They have a retro wheel that looks pretty close to original. I think the price is somewhere around $350-400. I got a quote to do my wheel of $1100. I ended up using PC-7 to fill the cracks and about six hours sanding. I used SEM Flexible spray over several coats of primer then cleared it. This was about four years ago. It has held up well although I see some hairline cracks starting to appear.

After thinking it over that military deal. Is probably your best bet if the spline is different have a machine shop cut out the middle  section and weld on yours at least you got a brand new immaculate steering wheel for maybe a couple of hundred bucks

I am going back-and-forth with the wife about the kitchen I want to do all the work myself but she is arguing it will take me too long she would rather have a guy come in and do it all a lot faster but we both know ca Ching  ca Ching If I hire a professional it is not going to be cheap

14 hours ago, h67st said:

The wheels I have are all pretty badly cracked, and I don't want to mortgage my house to get one recast. If anyone has a decent one they'll sell please let me know. Otherwise I guess I'll have to putty it up and paint it. If you have any tips on fixing the cracks, please post them.

There are kits to repair them. Google steering wheel repair. You will also find places that do steering wheel repair..

I'm in the same boat.  I want a new wheel but torn between what to spend.

I epoxied the cracks in mine a few years ago, but didn't sandblast it first and the rod corrodes and expands and cracks it again.  Ugh.  Decisions, decisions.

I like that white wheel.  That's something to consider even though it doesn't really match a green interior.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I just measured the spline on my column since I happen to have the wheel off.  1.080, so I assume that is for a 1 1/8" spline.

I could have my buddy paint it for me cheap enough?

Or find out if that M35 wheel is the same and paint it green?

I see Raney's also offers a black, blue and red wheel.

Edited by Freightrain
  • Like 2

Larry

On 12/30/2021 at 9:02 AM, 67RModel said:

Just curious what is the actual cost to get one recast if you know? I did not know there were companies doing this.....

There are several companies that do it, just google steering wheel repair.

On 12/30/2021 at 10:28 AM, AZB755V8 said:

I was on the lookout for Replacement steering wheels a while back, like 10 years ago. I did get a new Black one from Charmers back then, it was the smaller diameter wheel so I had a little more room for the Belly in a B cab.

I don't know if this wheel will have the correct spline but it certainly is worth a call to ask. I have posted this website before, prices and availability seem OK. Looks like they have both large and small diameter.

$142.00 each

I am definitely going to check those out, that's a good price.

On 12/30/2021 at 12:39 PM, mowerman said:

You also might want to check some of these custom big rig steering wheels I know you probably don’t want to go that route but at least take a look at what they got you might find something you would be happy with good luck

I want to stay with the original style, that white one would work fine but it's a 20" wheel and with manual steering I need the biggest one I can get. Mine's 22" and that extra 2" makes a big difference.

On 12/30/2021 at 11:11 AM, 880joe said:

What model of truck are you needing a wheel for

It's a 1959 H67ST. Probably any 22" wheel from the 50's and 60's would work.

I did the PC-7 epoxy on mine. I've looked at all the above options(military, re-pro, restored & new)and I ended up painting it black when done, I couldn't get a satisfactory color to match the original tint. Mine wasn't horrible, but had several decent age cracks. The kicker is I was saving a really nice 22" one from my B-42, when I put power steering in it with a 20" wheel. When I dug it out I discovered that there is a difference in the splined hub area and it wouldn't fit the B-73 shaft. I would send it out to have the hub modified to fit, but I don't know of anyone who can do that.

If any one has a paint code that closely matches the original plastic tint, I love to get it. 

IMG_1998.jpg

IMG_1997.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mattb73lt said:

I did the PC-7 epoxy on mine. I've looked at all the above options(military, re-pro, restored & new)and I ended up painting it black when done, I couldn't get a satisfactory color to match the original tint. Mine wasn't horrible, but had several decent age cracks. The kicker is I was saving a really nice 22" one from my B-42, when I put power steering in it with a 20" wheel. When I dug it out I discovered that there is a difference in the splined hub area and it wouldn't fit the B-73 shaft. I would send it out to have the hub modified to fit, but I don't know of anyone who can do that.

If any one has a paint code that closely matches the original plastic tint, I love to get it. 

IMG_1998.jpg

IMG_1997.jpg

Take the wheel down to Napa and have them hit it with their special little paint match gun.  It’s the easiest way and paint codes never match up with what you have. 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2021 at 11:28 AM, AZB755V8 said:

$142.00 each

I checked with Erik's, that wheel is 20". He said he would measure the splines to see if it would fit, but I'd better stay with the 22" wheel.

Interesting.  If Erik's wheel will fit I may be interested in buying one.  I have air assist so I dont need the big wheel.

I was leaning towards that new white wheel.  I like the look.  I may paint it later?

Larry