Adding a sleeper to a b model

With that wheel base I don't think you can really go anything but small (36" max). A small flat top would look nice if you can find an old one with round corners with a radius as close to that of the rear cab corners as you can find. One with less round corners would fight the lines of the truck, both the physical lines and the time line and would loom like an out of date add on IMO. The bunk should be a bit wider than the cab so, if it were me, I would just mount the stacks on the cab in front of the bunk, just a bit ahead of where they are now. Having them frenched into the bunk would be cool but look out of place, again, IMO. Having said that, I am considering frenching the exhaust into the 50 gallon fuel tanks on mine (because I only have 1 good 40 gallon tank and 2 good 50 gallon tanks) but I think that would be less obvious than drenched into the bunk. Please feel free to disregard everything I have said if it conflicts with your personal taste. This is just my way of thinking and you should build your truck to suit your taste, not mine. Just offering suggestions. 

It's gunna be hard to find something that matches in a doesnt look it was just thrown

To my way of thinking you need to go either something that looks really modern on there so it looks like your not even trying to blend it in or find something old school, maybe one of those shiney aluminium jobs with all the creases and bead rolls etc all polished up and looking shit hot and shiny 

Paul 

• Like 1

thanks for you input guys ther is so many diffrent things to look at for the correct size to make it look like it should fit the truck and with a rounded cab to would be tough I think of you idea of moving the stacks up is the best route and I wouldn't want it much more above the cab and ya bigger than a 36 would put it back there pretty far but its just a toy truck so I don't pull a trailer or anything I guess my biggest thing I don't know if crawl through or walk in I have a nice cab don't want to cut it up and then be un happy with it I guess I need to see how others have done it to see if it's something I want to pull the trigger on thank you guys for your input I appreciate it

• Like 1

If your going to be a bear be a grizzly

Mines a 42" Benz.  Yes, I did stretch the frame.  I have a bunch of pictures I can share of how I cut the back of the cab.  Have to wait til I get on home computer.

I had dreams of building my own bunk to mimic a stainless steel model.  The Benz was free....so that was a no brainer.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

thanks for all the responses I figure I'll use what ever I can find at a junk yard or on the cheap going with an old period correct may get pricy  freightrain I would like to see pics of how you cut the cab it would help a lot 63 b mack if you pm me I can give you my number and you can text me pics any one can pm me for my number sometimes that's easier and again thanks to everyone

I was around alot of B models with add on sleepers years back.One thing you dont want is try making a walk in with it.The bracing and cross members of the rear of the cab is in the lower back and when you cut the back out to the floor you have no support.Most of the sleepers i have seen was a crawl thru and you have to cut the cab up higher that the top of the rear window to have a hole big enough and still maintain the support of the rear of the cab.

• Like 2

glenn akers

8 hours ago, Mean Green said:

thanks Larry I think I'll have to check out some junk yards and see what they have may put out an add in the wanted section here see if somone has something I can use

Where are you located? I got a real nice early 70's Pete bubble top 36" aluminum sleeper. It is perfect condition in primer, no dents or corrosion, had it for 25 years. I was going to use it for my B but changed my mind. It would look really good and match the round cab top of your B. I sort of promised it to someone but he has not picked it up in a year. If your interested I will check if he still wants it. You pick up $750 Phoenix, AZ

that looks real good Larry good pics of what I needed to see and it looks good how you followed the braces in the cab and how you made the pieces at the top of the cab thank you for all the great pics