New here! B60T project

Swishy if you looking here, or maybe hayseed might remember 

Maybe chuck up a link 

What was those love rods onetrack (pretty sure it was onetrack) used all those years ago welding up some cylinders for some old banger 

Personally I would get a whole of dry sand (wheel barrow full)

Heat offending item in Mums oven with the oven on full noise 

And just add bits of cast iron on the right shape with nickle rods

Keep on chucking it in Mums oven every 10 minutes to keep it hot 

Probably put the sand in some big pots on the BBQ to make it nice and warm 

Then when all welded up chuck half the sand in the wheel barrow followed  by the now welded manifold and bury in the rest of the sand 

Try to keep it warm as long as you can and cool gently of a day or so

Thats me though, I would be guessing these are pretty prone to cracking though 

Good luck searching for a manifold 

Paul 

Edited by mrsmackpaul
  • Like 1

Frame is almost ready for paint - thanks to lots of elbow grease AND a needle scaler, carbine scraper, die grinder, and ScotchBrite.  I've also scraped as much of the old grease and dirt that I can from the rear end.  One inside frame rail had lots of gunk, too.  Hoping that Purple Power, a stiff brush and hot water will get the rest off.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Swishy said:

Mrs

gudday m8

jusr read your comment bout the weldin job

may B a lil to L8 .... butt heres the link from 2011

https://www.hcvc.com.au/forum/Findit/5769-metal-stitching?start=0

My B good fir a laff

LOL

cya

Mammoth got them pots back all done I seem to remember

Dunno but it certainly dragged out a tad bit more than a few hours 

Tah muchly for the link Swish

Paul 

10 hours ago, yarnall said:

My father has a B66 with a 540 in it.   We could not find an exhaust manifold that wasn’t broken.  Let me know if you find two.   Good luck with the project.  You are making great progress.    Mike. 

Thanks, Mike.  We anticipated that probably most manifolds of this vintage are similarly damaged.  We are making our own.  Fingers crossed that the plan works!

Dunno what your plans are for cleaning the inside of the fuel 

Some people have used the cement mixer method with good success 

I normally just cut the end off and weld it back on

If you are gunna cut the end off and are worried about it going bang, just dangle a air line in with it running for a few minutes before you start and leave it running the whole time your working on it

This purges any explosive fumes out and makes it safe 

What ever you do dont fill it with water or worse still water and soap as this gives fumes a spot to be trapped

Paul

• Like 1

when i used to do gas station rehab, we would put 50 lbs dry ice in the 5,000 gallon underground gas tanks, then wait until the dry ice "smoke" would come out the holes on top before cutting them open. 

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

On 10/27/2020 at 3:13 PM, tjc transport said:

when i used to do gas station rehab, we would put 50 lbs dry ice in the 5,000 gallon underground gas tanks, then wait until the dry ice "smoke" would come out the holes on top before cutting them open. 

That works.  I worked a number of years for Dow Chem before starting my own steel fabrication shop.  We regularly worked on tanks that had contained very explosive materials.  They had protocols to follow which included cleaning and steam clean, sniffing with meter before hot work (welding/cutting),etc.  Safety first, always.  I would use CO2 or argon bled from a weld bottle to do what TJC transport spoke of on small tanks (50 gal+/-) if i could not find dry ice.  Now days,  my insurance company won't let us work on any tank that held a flammable material, or even weld on a gasoline powered vehicle.

• Like 1