Unless you've got a good reason otherwise, uses what's recommended. As for using tractor hydraulic fluid in motorcycle transmissions, most share their oil with the engine so hydraulic fluid is a no-no. Harley's are rather fussy about transmission fluid so best to use what's recommended, and a lot of the BMWs use what is basicly an automotive driveline so the usual 80-90 weight hypoid is recommended. However, BMW built some lemon transmissions a couple decades ago, and we found the best way to limp them along until a rebuild could be done was to run 75-140 weight transmission fluid, whose only other common use was Mack rear ends!

Hytran would work fine, it's  thin, runny and is built for extreme gear use amd as a bonus it wont froth and can do hydraulic work as well 

Hytran feels like a similar viscosity to what you might normally use in a Mack box

According to Google 

Hytran is a sae 10 and a sae 50 is what Mack recommended 

Is this one fith as thick or is it some other measurement ? Dunno sliding scales and what not ???

I know it feels similar as it runs thru your fingers

I dont know why you would want to but if you chose to I think it would work fine 

Paul

6 hours ago, Maxidyne said:

I'm guessing the OP has buckets or even a barrel of Hytran sitting around and can't afford enough proper gear oil to fill a Mack transmission.

You are just as wrong about that as you are your libtard sh*t. Skulk on back to odds and ends to spew your BS.

In today's cars, they use ATF in the 5-6 spds.  They have to due to all the needle bearings.  Gear lube would never squeeze through those tiny areas.  Old Spicer boxes needed engine oil for similar reasons.

I suppose if the box was new enough it would be okay?  If it was "loose", it would likely rattle and bang around from the extra clearance from the thinner fluid.  I'm ready to mix some oats in my triplex to help fill in the gaps and quiet it down!!  Lol.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

57 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

In today's cars, they use ATF in the 5-6 spds.  They have to due to all the needle bearings.  Gear lube would never squeeze through those tiny areas.  Old Spicer boxes needed engine oil for similar reasons.

I suppose if the box was new enough it would be okay?  If it was "loose", it would likely rattle and bang around from the extra clearance from the thinner fluid.  I'm ready to mix some oats in my triplex to help fill in the gaps and quiet it down!!  Lol.

I don't have a ton of slop in mine. I am thinking they may actually shift easier with fluid like that. I am seriously condidering experimenting with it. It wouldn't be horribly expensive to swap it back out if it makes noise. I was planning on adding my usual gallon of lucas, so it may not make much noise at all.

1 hour ago, kscarbel2 said:

Sir, could you please refrain from vulgar language? I for one would appreciate it. Though we're full of varied opinions about any topic, at the end of the day, we are a family here. As adults, we agree to disagree without calling each other names.

9 hours ago, Maxidyne said:

I'm guessing the OP has buckets or even a barrel of Hytran sitting around and can't afford enough proper gear oil to fill a Mack transmission.

Moderator, please also chastise Maxidyne for inflammatory comments that add nothing to the original post and prejudges the motives and situation of the person making the post.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

11 minutes ago, j hancock said:

Moderator, please also chastise Maxidyne for inflammatory comments that add nothing to the original post and prejudges the motives and situation of the person making the post.

I'm not chastising. Rather, I simply asked him to refrain from using profanity. The individual repeatedly used the word sh*t in posts, and finally dumb*ass. I politely suggested that he might not use such language here, because we don't want Barry and Watt's Mack to face problems with content issues. The other individual did not use profanity. A bit of dry humor is tolerable.

21 minutes ago, j hancock said:

My apologies if that was taken as an insult. Usually when someone is substituting "off label" lubricants it's to save a buck or that's all that they have available, and I've been guilty of such mechanical crimes when in a pinch. In this case the OP accepts the risks and is willing to change the oil again if it doesn't work. That said, I'd be tempted to try a multi-weight synthetic oil that meets Mack's specs first, then if the hard shifting persist look at other causes.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Maxidyne said:

My apologies if that was taken as an insult. Usually when someone is substituting "off label" lubricants it's to save a buck or that's all that they have available, and I've been guilty of such mechanical crimes when in a pinch. In this case the OP accepts the risks and is willing to change the oil again if it doesn't work. That said, I'd be tempted to try a multi-weight synthetic oil that meets Mack's specs first, then if the hard shifting persist look at other causes.

It does not shift difficult.

For the record... I would rather not have someone like you giving me advice on much of anything.

3 hours ago, Ditchdiggerjcf said:

I don't have a ton of slop in mine. I am thinking they may actually shift easier with fluid like that. I am seriously condidering experimenting with it. It wouldn't be horribly expensive to swap it back out if it makes noise. I was planning on adding my usual gallon of lucas, so it may not make much noise at all.

"shift easier with a fluid like that"... Sure sounds like you're having some difficulty shifting.

On 7/2/2020 at 2:00 PM, Ditchdiggerjcf said:

Ttt. 

Anybody with any experience doing this? Hytran? Hygard? Cat to4? Any sort of gear/hydro oil?

It came OEM in all 4 of my CAT 7155 semi auto trans and  the Oshkosh 18000 transfer cases. Only thing I found when I serviced them a year ago that the current  HYTRAN fluid is Zinc free which prevents wear on hard contact points in an auto /semi auto valve body. No issues in any of the transfer cases, in fact in cold weather they range shift easier and are quieter. Viscosity wise I put  the lube at close 30wt. Oshkosh and Cat both specificity Hytran or Mobilfluid 424.   Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE