What the F... is wrong ?????

B MACK

2 hours ago, Quickfarms said:

After college I worked for a government agency and we would get all the work done in under 4 hours without breaking a sweat, then after lunch it was nap time and we were the crew that did the most work.

I don't know what kind of "government agency" you worked for, but not all government jobs are the same.  My agency is open 24/7/365 and the work is NEVER done, there are only slow periods between the real work.  We are on duty for 24 hours a shift and average 53 hours/week, without any overtime.  Overtime, when it happens, is usually in 12 or 24 hour increments.  I have worked 60 hours straight, more than a few times.  The nature of our work does not follow any schedule, it happens in real time.  You never know what you'll be doing two minutes from now.

Filling positions is done by a combination of testing procedures.  We typically hire from a pool of about 100 applicants, of which about 5 are actually qualified.  The process takes 3 to 4 months and often one or two of those actually qualified has found other employment before we make them an offer.  The majority of those who don't make it are usually washed out by the "pee-in-the-cup" test.  That test is also randomly administered throughout your employment.

Training and Certifications are required and take up a fair amount of the workday (7-5), along with equipment maintenance.  A fair amount of time goes into inspections of commercial/industrial properties and performing public relations activities.  There are no scheduled, nor guaranteed, mealtimes or breaks.  You take what you can, when you can. 

Pay is mediocre and raises are few and far between.  If we get a COLA, it is usually 1 or 2 %.  Our benefit package makes the whole thing worthwhile, specifically the pension that comes with the job.  That pension provides us with a "comfortable", but certainly not lavish, retirement.  I achieved my first promotion five years into the job, the least senior person to do so in the history of the agency.  It turned out to be exactly the position I wanted and I stayed in it for the next 23 years until I retired.  In addition to my normal duties, I tutored numerous younger employees to gain the skills needed to do my job and advance up the promotional ladder.  I also led the team that wrote specifications for much of our equipment and apparatus.

• Like 2

Predictable response. Arguing with idiots will get you nowhere but to the funny farm if you can stand to listen to the rhetoric long enough. When my son was an adolescent into his teens he would argue and could all most have you convinced the sky was plaid when you knew better it was blue. I'm glad he grew out of it but he can still argue with you for hours over stupid nonsensical bull crap. He is still a major pain in my ass but at least now he can recognizes the sky is REALLY blue.

Mack 11E.jpg

It's in the Liberals make-up, they try to sap the life out of anything fun. Sapped NFL. Sapped the entire West Coast. Sapped NASCAR. Sapped Boy Scouts. Sapped Girl scouts, Ruined 41's construction project. They even ruined the small bit of relief and satisfaction you feel while going to the bathroom!!! BMT isn't the exception to the rule, it's a Marxist loon magnet.

That said I want to dedicate this song to Teamster Grrrl/Maxidyne/Gearhead Grrrl, or whatever applies. My kids listen to it and we all sing along in the car. It's about a determined cat who simply refuses to be cast out and keeps coming right on back. Enjoy!!

(I'll spot 10 bonus likes to anyone who can name the OEM of the cabover truck in the video?)

1 hour ago, Mack Technician said:

It's in the Liberals make-up, they try to sap the life out of anything fun. Sapped NFL. Sapped the entire West Coast. Sapped NASCAR. Sapped Boy Scouts. Sapped Girl scouts, Ruined 41's construction project. They even ruined the small bit of relief and satisfaction you feel while going to the bathroom!!! BMT isn't the exception to the rule, it's a Marxist loon magnet.

That said I want to dedicate this song to Teamster Grrrl/Maxidyne/Gearhead Grrrl, or whatever applies. My kids listen to it and we all sing along in the car. It's about a determined cat who simply refuses to be cast out and keeps coming right on back. Enjoy!!

(I'll spot 10 bonus likes to anyone who can name the OEM of the cabover truck in the video?)

I could see where BMT could have a lot of leftie loons. 

1 hour ago, Ditchdiggerjcf said:

I could see where BMT could have a lot of leftie loons. 

Some aren’t complete loons. The true loon will have lost the ability to properly process information. Your mind and conscience are information processors, if you numb them you become a funnel instead of a sponge. Funnel = You take the info and direct the stream without absorbing processing it for its value.

You numb your mind and conscience by lying to them constantly. Perfect Example...The loon keeps telling themselves a penis doesn’t mean your a man until common sense abandons ship and swims for shore. The conscience thought that’s your natural-born guide becomes utterly confused. Eventually they don’t know what’s real. They go to blowing up the thread with NYTimes fake news piece shortcuts because they need something beyond their (now destroyed) ability to process, discern and relay. They can’t think for themselves by hearing, discerning and deciding because the discerning conscience is fractured by being force to believe what it knows is untrue. 

Pretty soon they’re throwing opinion columns at you and saying “here, here, look at what this person thinks is the truth!!!”. 

• Like 1

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Please explain I'm dumb ( according to wife) the blacks account for 13% of the population according to some figures from 2016  and there has been a 71% increase in blacks migrating to the US which I find disturbing, first I thought we had enough and now I find that this place is so racist that the blacks are flocking here like flies to poop, if this place is so unfriendly to blacks why do they want to come here and if they do do we owe them something too, like if we just hand over bunches of money to make them feel good about themselves because of slavery do we owe the new ones money too?  I would think and not to be a real ass but if your 13% of anything who cares what you think or what you want

• Like 1

3 hours ago, david wild said:

Please explain I'm dumb ( according to wife) the blacks account for 13% of the population according to some figures from 2016  and there has been a 71% increase in blacks migrating to the US which I find disturbing, first I thought we had enough and now I find that this place is so racist that the blacks are flocking here like flies to poop, if this place is so unfriendly to blacks why do they want to come here and if they do do we owe them something too, like if we just hand over bunches of money to make them feel good about themselves because of slavery do we owe the new ones money too?  I would think and not to be a real ass but if your 13% of anything who cares what you think or what you want

You sir are an unwoke and racist PoS. I am inclined to RA your post...

Just kidding

• Haha 1

I don't know what kind of "government agency" you worked for, but not all government jobs are the same.  My agency is open 24/7/365 and the work is NEVER done, there are only slow periods between the real work.  We are on duty for 24 hours a shift and average 53 hours/week, without any overtime.  Overtime, when it happens, is usually in 12 or 24 hour increments.  I have worked 60 hours straight, more than a few times.  The nature of our work does not follow any schedule, it happens in real time.  You never know what you'll be doing two minutes from now.
Filling positions is done by a combination of testing procedures.  We typically hire from a pool of about 100 applicants, of which about 5 are actually qualified.  The process takes 3 to 4 months and often one or two of those actually qualified has found other employment before we make them an offer.  The majority of those who don't make it are usually washed out by the "pee-in-the-cup" test.  That test is also randomly administered throughout your employment.
Training and Certifications are required and take up a fair amount of the workday (7-5), along with equipment maintenance.  A fair amount of time goes into inspections of commercial/industrial properties and performing public relations activities.  There are no scheduled, nor guaranteed, mealtimes or breaks.  You take what you can, when you can. 

Sounds like your a firefighter

How does working a 24 hour shift equate to 53 hours a week? It should be 48 hours.

It also sounds like you only have to work 7-5 each day, the rest of the time you are on call.

Your description of a 24 hour shift is a 10 hour work day and on call for 14 hours. Doesn’t sound to bad, unless you work in the hood.

Most of the firefighters I know fall into two categories. The overtime whores, one of my old employees brothers was this way and made about $170,000 a year. The second group run a side business since they only work 2 days a week.

Where I grew up the firefighters were volunteers. They did everything on there own time and still do.

The area of the government that I worked for is still run the same way. They base there manpower staffing on 50 year old technology but use 20 year old technology. If there was any incentive to get more work done a lot of the issues that I face daily would be eliminated.

7 minutes ago, Quickfarms said:

Sounds like your a firefighter

How does working a 24 hour shift equate to 53 hours a week? It should be 48 hours.

It also sounds like you only have to work 7-5 each day, the rest of the time you are on call.

Your description of a 24 hour shift is a 10 hour work day and on call for 14 hours. Doesn’t sound to bad, unless you work in the hood.

Most of the firefighters I know fall into two categories. The overtime whores, one of my old employees brothers was this way and made about $170,000 a year. The second group run a side business since they only work 2 days a week.

Where I grew up the firefighters were volunteers. They did everything on there own time and still do.

The area of the government that I worked for is still run the same way. They base there manpower staffing on 50 year old technology but use 20 year old technology. If there was any incentive to get more work done a lot of the issues that I face daily would be eliminated.

Yes, Firefighter, retired.  A 24 hour shift every third day equals an average workweek of 56 hours, minus 12 hours we do not work every 9th shift, making it a 53 hour workweek.  The 7-5 workday is based on the 40 hour workweek of the Admin side.  Certain activities (inspections, most training, non-emergency equipment repair and maintenance) are only conducted during those hours.  Emergency responses are 24/7/365 and we are busy enough.  Fifteen people manning five apparatus and a command car responding to over 7,000 incidents annually.  Residential population is about 13,000, but we are adjacent to the busiest airport in the world and there are over 250,000 people in our city all the time.

Not one of the Firefighters makes the decision that there will be overtime, only if they are willing to work it.  Overtime is feast or famine.  As I previously stated, there are times I have worked 60 hours straight and there have also been times where there was no overtime for six or eight months.  Starting pay is $40,000/year.  The ONLY one making 6-figures is the Fire Chief.  Including a lot of overtime, my best year ever was $86,000.  My base pay at retirement was under $70,000.

I served as a Volunteer Firefighter for ten years.  I was a paid Firefighter for 28 years.

• Thanks 1

I would not compare your job to the average windowlicker that works for the state, but let's be honest, you are not killing yourself with that gig. As a navy man I have seen those many of those departments on base, and it sure as hell looked pretty cush to me. They barely ran any calls and damn sure were not dealing with near as many fires or car accidents like dept's out in the civilian world. 

22 hours ago, Ditchdiggerjcf said:

I agree with most of what you say. The problem is there are very few moderate lefties still around. Most are way far left wack jobs.

You mean stabbing a knife through a 9 month old baby's head while its traveling down the birth canal is wrong? Hold on..."I have a shortcut to an article, right here, that says its all done for the benefit of the mother's health!!".... it's here somewhere...

3 hours ago, GA_Dave said:

Firefighters employed by the General Services Administration (GSA), who man military base fire stations, work many more hours than most people.  They work a 24 hour shift every other day, minus one shift every two weeks, equaling a 72 hour workweek.  What does any of your statement have to do with my job?

I'm just saying we should not be led to believe that those folks are killing themselves on a massively difficult gov job. Those don't exist in gov work, or union jobs either.

5 hours ago, Ditchdiggerjcf said:

I would not compare your job to the average windowlicker that works for the state, but let's be honest, you are not killing yourself with that gig. As a navy man I have seen those many of those departments on base, and it sure as hell looked pretty cush to me. They barely ran any calls and damn sure were not dealing with near as many fires or car accidents like dept's out in the civilian world. 

Wow, wow, wait a d*mn minute. FACT CHECK.. I'm a retired Federal Firefighter that worked on a Navy Base. We ran on average 500 plus calls a year on Base and off Base (Mutual Aide) to cover or assist Volley (Departments) Companies out in the civilian world. Not to busiest house compared to some larger city's. We worked 24 hour shifts every other day with a Kelly Day (one day off) every two weeks. We did our own desk watches. We had a structural side and an air field side in our house. Some shifts I worked 20 hours of my 24 hour shift. Nothing cush about it. We didn't get much down time. I guess I didn't kill myself because I'm still here. But, I worked for every penny I earned. I retired from the fire service as a Battalion Chief for a municipal Fire Department. And, I didn't earn anywhere near $170,000 a year.

• Like 2

Mack 11E.jpg

31 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

1972 Ford WT9000 COE Semi Tractor | by J Wells S 

International Transtar CO-4070 Semi-Truck | Photograph | Wisconsin ...

Both fine trucks. I'm going to have to go with Georgia Dave on this one, it has the horizontal square grill on the Ford. Even found one the same color. 10 coming.

Likely had an Allison and T-bar throttle for the cat, but don't over think it?

I thought Dave had it 2 but double looked at stripes & thought they looked like the farmall. Ha ha!

shouldve said cruiseliner! 

Edited by 1965
  • Haha 1