Hello J, First time I have seen the V8 badge on a C model, I did not know that the C model had the Mack 864 V8 engine. I referred to my copy of Tom Brownell's, History of Mack Trucks. He states that slightly more than 1,500 C models were built and that the V8 non turbo engine was an option. Do you have any information of how many C models with the  V8's engine were made?

I have seen 3 C models that have been imported into Australia and the 3 have the 6 cyl diesel engine.

It is a pity that Mack did not rebuild the L model cabin, retaining the basic design but modernise it to 1960's build and manufacturing improvements/standards, including an updated dash, 1 piece windscreen and have the hood and fenders a 1 piece tilt fiberglass unit, with a feature chrome radiator shell similar to the early Kenworth S model. Then add a separate sleeper cab (say a Mercury cab) and it would have been a winner. And maybe extend the hood to fit the various 60's engine options and integrated power steering. 

• Like 1

The C was a short run vehicle for Mack.  As Prowrench mentioned above, there were 208 C615 trucks produced. 

Mack also made the C607 (301 units), C609 (1,064), C611 (16) for a total of 1,589 units between 1963-1965.

Mack already had the U and R model on the drawing board and probably did not want to spend any more money on the C.  The U was introduced first in 1964 with the R in 1965.  

I think the radiator style is very handsome as is the L cab so I understand your thoughts of bringing the C model along with improvements.

Here is a picture I took of one of the C models (Massachusetts based) that was in my neighborhood about 25 years ago which is now in your area.  Also, a picture of the right hood off the truck I had showing the ghost of the V8 emblem.  Parts lived on with other trucks.

Wayroc C - Copy.jpg

Faded C model.JPG

• Like 2

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

What really surprized me in a C-model it was built on a pair of R-model frame rails. And if we take to account C was introduced earlier it means Mack designed that frame for C and further kept in production up to 2004 year.

Co0ngrats on the great purchase!

Too like to specifications.

Edited by Vladislav
  • Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

On 4/3/2020 at 9:52 PM, Vladislav said:

What really surprized me in a C-model it was built on a pair of R-model frame rails. And if we take to account C was introduced earlier it means Mack designed that frame for C and further kept in production up to 2004 year.

That frame was first used on the F model which was introduced in 62. At some point the F model got a new frame with a deeper front section but Mack continued using the original frame on the R model. It probably made sense to use it on the C model as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whiskymack said:

That frame was first used on the F model which was introduced in 62. At some point the F model got a new frame with a deeper front section but Mack continued using the original frame on the R model. It probably made sense to use it on the C model as well.

F-600 models (versus later F-700 models)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Whiskymack said:

Wow! That's one almost new fact to me. Have never seen a F-model with that shape of the rails. Any pics?

The deep center section of the frame was too improve ride, at the then current 55 MPH limit a lot of tractors had a frame resonance that produced a rough ride, the more rigid frame fixed that. Several other manufacturers offered the same deep frame center section during the late 70s and 80s.

• Like 2

On 4/7/2020 at 8:27 PM, Vladislav said:

Wow! That's one almost new fact to me. Have never seen a F-model with that shape of the rails. Any pics?

Here are a few pics. Sorry about the quality. The one with the cab up is a steel dash F700. It's kind of hard to see but it looks like the skinnier frame. I've included the fish belly for comparison.

Brochure 1.jpg

Brochure 2.jpg

Brochure 3.jpg

F 700.jpg

New Frame.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Whiskymack said:

Here are a few pics. Sorry about the quality. The one with the cab up is a steel dash F700. It's kind of hard to see but it looks like the skinnier frame. I've included the fish belly for comparison.

Many thanks for the reference. Looks like you are right (and i didn't doubt much in that). The rails on the 3rd pic too look like the ones a R-model utilized. But with different spring hanger brackets. Of what i also noted a C-model had front spring rear brackets with rubber pads for the leaf ends to attach. This F-model brochure represents something looking similar as much as I can determine from the drawing. My R's have rear ends of springs hanged on shakles and I belive the most R's had them of that style. Not sure of early series trucks though.

Ok, now I will pay more attention to F-model chassis when up close to an early truck. Just didn't know they differ.

10 hours ago, Whiskymack said:

Brochure 1.jpg

Brochure 2.jpg

Brochure 3.jpg

F 700.jpg

New Frame.jpg

Any time I see F model related stuff it makes me ill. They get no love whatsoever. I want one bad.

On 4/2/2020 at 9:44 AM, harrybarbon said:

Hello J, First time I have seen the V8 badge on a C model, I did not know that the C model had the Mack 864 V8 engine. I referred to my copy of Tom Brownell's, History of Mack Trucks. He states that slightly more than 1,500 C models were built and that the V8 non turbo engine was an option. Do you have any information of how many C models with the  V8's engine were made?

I have seen 3 C models that have been imported into Australia and the 3 have the 6 cyl diesel engine.

It is a pity that Mack did not rebuild the L model cabin, retaining the basic design but modernise it to 1960's build and manufacturing improvements/standards, including an updated dash, 1 piece windscreen and have the hood and fenders a 1 piece tilt fiberglass unit, with a feature chrome radiator shell similar to the early Kenworth S model. Then add a separate sleeper cab (say a Mercury cab) and it would have been a winner. And maybe extend the hood to fit the various 60's engine options and integrated power steering. 

I know most will disagree with me here but I always though the L cab was way better looking than the curved B cab.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jamaican Bulldog said:

I know most will disagree with me here but I always though the L cab was way better looking than the curved B cab.

No arguments here. I think the Squared L cab complimented the curvy B front of end very well. Plus as a tall person I’d really appreciate the extra room. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

19 hours ago, Jamaican Bulldog said:

Both look nice on my mind. Just different of style.

On 4/9/2020 at 8:55 PM, Vladislav said:

Of what i also noted a C-model had front spring rear brackets with rubber pads for the leaf ends to attach. This F-model brochure represents something looking similar as much as I can determine from the drawing. My R's have rear ends of springs hanged on shakles and I belive the most R's had them of that style. Not sure of early series trucks though.

I hadn't noticed the difference before. I had a look through a few pictures and see what you mean.  All the B's I looked at and a G have the ends of the springs trapped in a kind of collar against what looks like a pad or roller. There is also a cross brace spanning across the underside of the hangers closing off the collar. The DM800 model I am making has this arrangement. Some of the early metal dash R's also had the collar arrangement though I'm not sure if the cross brace was used. All the later R's had shackles. All the Western R's I have seen had shackles and the image of the fishbelly frame looks like it has hangars designed to take shackles.  Judging by the age of the trucks I am guessing it was a design change, maybe late 60's or thereabouts because I haven't come across a newer truck with the collar. I suppose it might also have been an option.

On the topic of B cabs, on pure aesthetics, I like the curvy cab because of the purity of the design: all curves and very 1950's. I can also see that from a practical view the L cab offered a bit more for the driver. I think the L cab looked especially great on the LT but it does look like a design from an earlier era (in my opinion.)

866 V8.,  375 HP, Allison trans, 44  Eaton two speed rears, a Hendrickson open beam, and a lot of other things I can not recall. Almost 80 pages of build sheets from The Mack Museum which are in New Mexico with the truck.  A Holland fifth wheel and pusher axle was added at Phoenix Mfg. in PA. after the truck left Allentown. 

• Like 1