Volvo Trucks – Our Latest Truck

kscarbel2

Yaaay!!! Volvo gets the latest new vocational offerings instead of Mack! I LOVE YOU VOLVO!!!! You are the greatest name in trucks!!!!!

They need to work on a mascot though. Something tough. Like maybe a poodle on the hood.

How's that? Or should I do it all in capitals? LOL

• Like 2

Really? Volvo makes 750hp loggers that haul 130,000+ lbs in the mountains of northern Scandinavia. How much do you pull with your sissy little American truck? 80,000?

P.S. Dirtymilkman - it's not cool to insult women.

Edited by Oso2

Volvo Updates VHD Vocational Truck Line

Heavy Duty Trucking (HDT)  /  March 10, 2020

Volvo has updated its Class 8 VHD Vocational Series trucks with what it calls a “fresh, modern look.” And, in keeping with the company’s longstanding commitment to safety, it has also added new safety and uptime solutions with vocational fleets in mind.

“The new Volvo VHD looks every bit as capable as it is, designed to bring new energy into the vocational market,” said John Felder, product marketing manager, Volvo Trucks North America. “Everything we’ve done to improve the model to make it more versatile and reliable also extends the life of the vehicle and increases driver productivity, safety and comfort. Drivers will love this truck because it makes hard work easy. It’s the perfect example of tougher made smarter.”

According to Volvo, the VHD provides a number of notable upgrades, including:

• An updated exterior gives a modern look that reflects the other models in the Volvo Trucks family. The VHD has a new grille design, as well as new LED high/low beam headlights. The fully sealed headlamp component offers a brighter, more focused beam for increased visibility. An available de-icing feature burns through ice and snow that accumulates on headlamps in colder weather.
  • Groundbreaking safety and productivity features for the vocational industry include Volvo Dynamic Steering (VDS) and the next generation of Volvo Active Driver Assist (VADA). The VDS system delivers a safer, more comfortable driver experience by adding torque to reduce steering strain at low speeds and remove vibrations caused by rough terrain. Also, now available in the VHD, the next-generation VADA provides integrated radar/camera capabilities, automatic emergency braking, highway departure warnings, adaptive cruise control and more.
  • A new, more robust VHD bumper features a heavy-duty 45 mm tow pin rated for a full 80,000 pounds. Responding to customer requests, the rugged tow pin allows for a quick pull out of sticky situations thereby increasing uptime and drivers’ peace of mind.
  • A state-of-the-art interior offers improved driver comfort and productivity. For example, the truck’s ignition has been moved to the lower left-hand side of the dash, while the steering wheel buttons are more touch-friendly and clustered intuitively to help drivers feel more confident.
  • Volvo I-Shift transmission with crawler gears adds one or two gears to the 12-speed Volvo I-Shift transmission, enabling the VHD to start on steep grades, provide low-speed control, and reach maximum highway speeds with faster rear axle ratios.
  • Volvo T-Ride suspension delivers the best ride under the most demanding conditions by applying constant pressure on the wheels to create sure-footed traction. The Volvo T-ride suspension also offers a new ride stiffness option for mixers and trucks with wing plows.
  • The latest in connectivity solutions such as Remote Programming and Remote Diagnostics allow customers to use real data insights to make the right decisions for increased safety and truck productivity.

“For years, the Volvo VHD has been one of the most capable and versatile trucks on the jobsite. We listened to our customers, and are proud to showcase the newly updated VHD with the same class-leading features and technological innovations our customers expect from a Volvo truck with relevant and important updates that benefit the functional needs of vocational applications,” said Felder. “At Volvo Trucks, we continue to improve our product offerings and we have done so for an already tough vocational truck model. Now, this smarter and more innovative VHD for the vocational market raises the bar on what it takes to be an all-around great work truck.”

Shaws in Maine is replacing their Macks and Volvos with KW T880's and Freightliner 108SD's because of Volvo's indifference to warranty issues.  Shaws has over 300 trucks and it was an even split of Macks and Volvos.  As good as the new units are, if corporate battles over ever warranty issue they will lose customers.  

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I am beginning too think that the Freightliner SD with a DD13 is a good lower cost vocational truck. I think it is the truck Ford should have built to replace the L-Series. DD13 might be the best engine out there now at that size. Never been in one, I hear better truck than Sterling was.

On 3/9/2020 at 12:40 AM, Oso2 said:

P.S. Dirtymilkman - it's not cool to insult women.

How degrading for women to have  that part was stuck to a Volvo 🤮

Edited by HeavyGunner

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

20 hours ago, Bullheaded said:

Wow! New headlights!! LOL

TS7......I'm loving my new DD13 505/1850. Pulls good, awesome fuel mileage and no regen issues so far.

Was looking close at the new Shaws Frieghtliner 108SD units. Nice build quality.  They are running mostly DD11 for the local delivery units and DD13 in their pit/quarry units. Drivers seem pleased with the trucks. Sadly the shop foreman said "well they ain't no Macks but than Mack ain't no Mack anymore either"  Sad how far the brand I've been loyal to has fell.    Paul

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

2 minutes ago, kscarbel2 said:

Volvo has created the smartest VHD ever so as to meet your toughest demands, and yet nobody here seems to appreciate it. 

I would blame the multi brand dealers who push any unit except Mack and Volvo for the lack of interest. The reason they do it? Commission on the sales of PAACAR's , Volvo and Macks lack if the big H.P diesel they all imagine they need or is it  just indifference to anything that isn't Pete or KW that the "in crowd" has?

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

2 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

Volvo has created the smartest VHD ever so as to meet your toughest demands, and yet nobody here seems to appreciate it. 

Sometimes I can't tell if you are being serious or just trying to stir the pot, LOL

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

How Ironic of us...

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Looks like the swedes have successfully influenced american truck dealers with their Special High Intensity Training, (S.H.I.T.) to market such a product after successfully castrating the "Leader of the Pack".

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

2 minutes ago, Rob said:

Looks like the swedes have successfully influenced american truck dealers with their Special High Intensity Training, (S.H.I.T.) to market such a product after successfully castrating the "Leader of the Pack".

Castrated? They put the carcass in the window like Norms mother at the Bates Model.

Edited by 41chevy

P.T.CHESHIRE