1985 Mack RD-686SX

Soon will have fresh paint and a dump body installed and will be back to work.  Was on Long Island but now in New Hampshire.

Has the OEM lollipop light on the hood but also has the giant lollipop light as seen on many metro LI/NJ rigs.

1985 Mack RD686SX - Copy.JPG

1985 Mack RD686SX - Copy (2).JPG

• Like 2

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Makes you wonder right about the current practice of incorporating the turn signal in with the headlight bucket.  "Let's see-is he turning left in front of me?"   If they are going to do that with class 6-8 trucks,  IMO they should have a canceling feature like some cars do that kill the headlight when the turn signal is powered.

Those lollypop light aren't big enough on Long Island! Had a girl turn into my rt front tire (10x24) because see didn't see my truck next to her in stop and go traffic. I did see new Fright Liner ;) with strobes in the directionals and brake lights. 

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 9/4/2019 at 10:06 PM, 41chevy said:

Those lollypop light aren't big enough on Long Island! Had a girl turn into my rt front tire (10x24) because see didn't see my truck next to her in stop and go traffic. I did see new Fright Liner ;) with strobes in the directionals and brake lights. 

Can you imagine all the 4 wheelers a long tongued California pup would collect on Long Island when they tried to cut between the truck and the trailer???? 

Edited by Brocky
  • Like 1

Brocky

1 hour ago, Brocky said:

Can you imagine all the 4 wheelers a long tongued California pup would collect on Long Island when they tried to cut between the truck and the trailer???? 

Yikes!  What a mess!

It has been a day or two since I have needed to use the Cross Bronx or Throgs Neck and I am really OK with that.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

14 hours ago, j hancock said:

Yikes!  What a mess!

It has been a day or two since I have needed to use the Cross Bronx or Throgs Neck and I am really OK with that.

Cross Bronx , the BQE and even Northern Blvd are better than before. . .the no longer strip your vehicle when you stop they now do it while moving. Even Alphabet City has changed with big signs saying Do Not Stop in Spanglish. AOC and mayor DiBlasio have said it is safe. . .he's goes over in in NYC1 and no issues.

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

7 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Cross Bronx , the BQE and even Northern Blvd are better than before. . .the no longer strip your vehicle when you stop they now do it while moving. Even Alphabet City has changed with big signs saying Do Not Stop in Spanglish. AOC and mayor DiBlasio have said it is safe. . .he's goes over in in NYC1 and no issues.

it is obvious you have not been on the Cross Bronx, BQE, or Northern Blvd is a while. they are able to strip a car while "moving" because the top speed on any of those three roads is only 1/2 mile per hour.  and that is at 2 am when there is no traffic. 

i was on Northern last month.  took me 45 minutes to go one block.

Edited by tjc transport
  • Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Nice looking ride thanks for sharing .....another fella made a comment about turn signal is my Kenworth doesn’t even have any if people are coming up on my left or right they have nothing to look at but this little tiny marker light on the fender that just barely flickers when the turn signal is on I don’t know why they quit using them on the fenders that’s the best way.....Sometimes you wonder what these designers are thinking that makes absolutely no sense to me I get nervous changing lanes and heavy traffic with out that big bright light on the fender

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, tjc transport said:

it is obvious you have not been on the Cross Bronx, BQE, or Northern Blvd is a while. they are able to strip a car while "moving" because the top speed on any of those three roads is only 1/2 mile per hour.  and that is at 2 am when there is no traffic. 

i was on Northern last month.  took me 45 minutes to go one block.

Makes me kind of miss the run into the old Hunts Market.

P.T.CHESHIRE

59 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

Makes me kind of miss the run into the old Hunts Market.

remember the big power pole on the right corner leaving the market? 

i wiped at least a dozen people off the side of my trailer trying to get into the side door with that pole. 

one time i had a guy pop the door and climb into the empty trailer as i was leaving after dropping a load there. 

the guy behind me had his helper jump out and close/lock the door, then called me on the CB telling me what was up. 

the next light i fired up the reefer and set it at 35 degrees, then took a nice slow ride out to scranton before stopping and opening the rear door. 

that guy was damn near a popsicle. 

i gave him the option of getting out, or riding back with the reefer set at 10 below. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Well my intro to  driving in metro NY was the big strike in 71 when the majors took on the PTEU-the big union that represented most of the petro drivers in the metro area.  Anyone in management throughput the country that  had ever driven was placed on the "MOCO" team.."method of continuous operation"-The prep for that was we had to take the NYC Fire Dept Certificate of Fitness test that was needed to haul gas/oil-"haz mat" wasn't a term then. 

Well I spent 51 days driving out of Mt Vernon-at times on 5 axles in  Westchester county, other  times in a "city spec" 10 wheeler delivering in the Bronx.  After a while  you learned the shortcuts and I remember one day going through a decent neighborhood (near  Gun Hill Rd.?) I pass a group of people standing  around a VW bug.  I dropped the load and on my way back there is the VW-all the doors and  "hood" open sitting on blocks, papers blowing all around it. Stripped clean-and this was a "nice' neighborhood!

Welcome to the "Big Apple".

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Going into at the wee hours of the mornig to Hunts Market was through a section of burned out and abandoned building and tons of stripped and burned cars, The local 'opportunists' would put stripped cars i'n the street to stop or slow you down. Stop for the wreck or slow down they would open your trailer and start tossing out your load to their bro's. We ran three truck convoy into the market.  We rammed hulks out of the way, no stopping for anything if possible. I carried  Easy Off oven cleaner as a jacking protection, hit the face and head with it the last thing they will do is fight. Those cut down NY bumpers weren't for looks my friend. Very close the Escape from NY movie scenes. 

Didn’t have any idea; I have seen the movie. Sounds rough!

we ran cab over freightshakers so we could pull rite up to the trailer in front of us to keep the animals out of the trailers.

it was a dangerous place for sure. 

one of the favorite things the thieves did was look for over the road drivers sleeping. they would put 6X6's under the inside tires. then bang on the door waking the driver up . 

"you are blocking me, can you pull up 10 feet? "

the half asleep driver would not notice the pull up on the blocks. ground monkey would say "thats good, thanks" 

driver would climb back into the bunk and go back to sleep. only to wake up in the morning to unload and find the 8 outside tires and rims gone. 

Edited by tjc transport
  • Like 2

On 9/7/2019 at 10:36 PM, Red Horse said:

Well my intro to  driving in metro NY was the big strike in 71 when the majors took on the PTEU-the big union that represented most of the petro drivers in the metro area.  Anyone in management throughput the country that  had ever driven was placed on the "MOCO" team.."method of continuous operation"-The prep for that was we had to take the NYC Fire Dept Certificate of Fitness test that was needed to haul gas/oil-"haz mat" wasn't a term then. 

Well I spent 51 days driving out of Mt Vernon-at times on 5 axles in  Westchester county, other  times in a "city spec" 10 wheeler delivering in the Bronx.  After a while  you learned the shortcuts and I remember one day going through a decent neighborhood (near  Gun Hill Rd.?) I pass a group of people standing  around a VW bug.  I dropped the load and on my way back there is the VW-all the doors and  "hood" open sitting on blocks, papers blowing all around it. Stripped clean-and this was a "nice' neighborhood!

Welcome to the "Big Apple".

You ever go to the Spanish fruit and vegie market in Manhatten on 96th street right off the Tribourgh Bridge? They would put guards on your truck. The market was called El Guapo . Big burned out single story building with corrugated steel doors. Went there once . . .I would rather go to Hunts.

P.T.CHESHIRE